Thread: Recommended serials of the 1980's

Default Recommended serials of the 1980's

Can someone recommend me some good 1980's serials. I prefer ancient. Thanks....

Bing Kuen is good, its somewhat similar to Grand Canal (but not exactly) with the changes of dynasties and war, and etc.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

heir to the throne is
    serpentine romance
    vixens tale
    the black sabre
    the foundation
    sect of iron and blood
    kay moon gwai guk
    lin shing kuet
    land of the condors
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://members.aol.com/xsol4realx/private/ltv.jpg'), '')

New Adventure of Chor Lau Heung 1984
    Legend of the Condor Heroes 1983
    Return of the Condor Heroes 1984
    The Fearless Duo 1984
    The Foundation 1984
    Forgot the name (with Jacqueline Law and Leon Lai)1989-Any one can provide the name would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Bing Kuen is good, its somewhat similar to Grand Canal (but not exactly) with the changes of dynasties and war, and etc.

Who was in Bing Kuen? I've heard that name come up a few times but can't attach it to any 80's TVB trailers I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    Who was in Bing Kuen? I've heard that name come up a few times but can't attach it to any 80's TVB trailers I've seen.
    I have a thread on it in this TVB forum. See for yourself.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbtoday View Post
    Can someone recommend me some good 1980's serials. I prefer ancient. Thanks....

THe Dragon Sword (Cantonese title: Tien Long Sung Gim) starring Michael Miu, Amy Chan, Jamie Chic, and Margie Tsang is pretty good.

Also check out "The War" (Cantonese title: Tien Bean) starrring a very young Roger Kwok, Jimmy Au, Sheren Tang, and Kitty Lai.

IMHO, best 80's Jin Yong adaptation was HSDS 1986 with Tony Leung.

I have a thread on it in this TVB forum. See for yourself.

Dumbas* me, the BIng Kuen thread is like 3 threads under this one, haha . Yeah it looks familiar, remember seeing that trailer I think before one of those Professor Panda cartoons or the Monkey King cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by christinatran View Post
    Forgot the name (with Jacqueline Law and Leon Lai)1989-Any one can provide the name would be great
    A Friend in Need (1988)

The Legend of Master So (1982)
    The Fortune Teller I (1983)
    The Fortune Teller II (1983)

i hated the dragon sword. i rented and tried to watch it again because i wanted to see jamie chik, margie tsang, and amy chan but i couldn't bear watching it because the horrible plot.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://members.aol.com/xsol4realx/private/ltv.jpg'), '')

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't heard of Bing Kuen yet and I assume that its quite hard to find in stores today beause it isn't one of the popular 80's series like LOCH and ROCH. Does anyone know if I can watch it online in Cantonese? That would be great!

I want to try Fearless Duo because Miu and Barb is there, but I really don't like the want series set in the era of the Qing Dynasty. As for LOCH, ROCH, Chor Lau Heung, The Foundation, I have all seen and they are great in their own ways. I also wrote reviews on them if you are interested in reading my thoughts about the series.

As for Dragon Sword, the plot was very boring and dumb. However, it was only because of Miu that I watched it. I love his little cute love story with Margie and Jamie. Amy and Miu didn't have that much chemistry and therefore found them relatively boring compared to the other two ladies. I also wrote a review for DS.

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't heard of Bing Kuen yet and I assume that its quite hard to find in stores today beause it isn't one of the popular 80's series like LOCH and ROCH. Does anyone know if I can watch it online in Cantonese? That would be great!
    Bing Kuen deals with war and the changing of dynasties. If you've watched A Change of Destiny, Bing Kuen kind of works as a prequel to this series because we have the Zhou dynasty and Gordon Liu's character is the same as the Emperor in Change of Destiny. Except I don't think there is any predict-er in the story where Bing Kuen is concerned.

Canto version huh, well, you'll have to search. I don't think you can find it.

If you haven't watched The Grand Canal, go watch it.

You can forget about Bing Kuen. It is one of the first warehoused series that TVB produced in the 40 years of history. This series is not popular at all, and I am sure many HK people haven't heard of it. This series was actually first aired in TVB Jade at midnight......so.......

Good luck to you on finding the tapes at the stores near you.

I actually liked Bing Kuen. The cast was Gordon Lau Ka Fai, Austin Wai, Leon Lai, Maggie Siu, Eddie Kwan(he played a bad guy)and others.... I think whoever hasn't seen it should give it a try.

Anyways, the series that I would recommend from the 80s are:
    -All of the JY classics, except for Smiling Proud Wanderer since I didn't like that one much
    -The Grand Canal
    -Yang's Saga
    -The Reincarnated Princess
    -The Lamp Lore
    -Heir the Throne is
    -The New Adventures of CLH
    -The Dragon Sword
    -The Vixen's Tale
    -Fortune Teller
    -The Hawk/Fei Ying
    -Take Care your Highness
    -Brothers UNder the Skin
    and many others that I can't remember at the moment... I love mainly ancient series too...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    A Friend in Need (1988)

No, not that one (I didn't know they had another ancient series together-what was that about)

The one I was thinking was during the Han dynasty and Leon was a Prince and Jacqueline Law was a Princess from a neighboring country. Leon was forced to marry another princess from another country because he thought he would died and might as well help out the princess. Sound familiar?

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It's called 'Chun Man Kung Chuen Ki' I so love that series. Too bad I can't rent it anywhere and I can't even buy it.
    Last edited by christinatran; 07-23-07 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christinatran View Post
    No, not that one (I didn't know they had another ancient series together-what was that about)

The one I was thinking was during the Han dynasty and Leon was a Prince and Jacqueline Law was a Princess from a neighboring country. Leon was forced to marry another princess from another country because he thought he would died and might as well help out the princess. Sound familiar?

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It's called 'Chun Man Kung Chuen Ki' I so love that series. Too bad I can't rent it anywhere and I can't even buy it.
    My mistake, it is Chun Man Kung Chuen Ki (1989). And I actually mentioned it in the Bing Kuen thread. Chun Man Kung Chuen Ki is another warehoused series, I don't think TVB aired it at all.

Bing Kuen deals with war and the changing of dynasties. If you've watched A Change of Destiny, Bing Kuen kind of works as a prequel to this series because we have the Zhou dynasty and Gordon Liu's character is the same as the Emperor in Change of Destiny. Except I don't think there is any predict-er in the story where Bing Kuen is concerned.

Canto version huh, well, you'll have to search. I don't think you can find it.

If you haven't watched The Grand Canal, go watch it.
    The Grand Canal happens to be my all-time favorite series!!!!! Love it so much!

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    My mistake, it is Chun Man Kung Chuen Ki (1989). And I actually mentioned it in the Bing Kuen thread. Chun Man Kung Chuen Ki is another warehoused series, I don't think TVB aired it at all.

Really??!!!! Darn it, I was hoping that TVB would eventually have that series in vcds but now I guess my hope is dashed. I loved that series, hmmm, I wondered why they warehoused it? The plot was good and interesting.

young heroes of shaolin, roch, dgsd, loch, tai chi master, hsds, the grand canal
    If you Sau Gor fans, so visit & like this fanspage : www.facebook.com/sheksau
    There's so many picture of him. That's really awesome ^^