Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic 70s/80s U.S. sitcom: THREE'S COMPANY

Default Classic 70s/80s U.S. sitcom: THREE'S COMPANY

Any fans here of the classic 1970s/1980s U.S. sitcom THREE'S COMPANY?

This show seems very tame by today's standards, but at the time, it was the raunchiest thing going on mainstream American prime time T.V. The show was a big hit throughout its eight seasons from 1976 to 1984, and was inspired by a British comedy called MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE.

So any other fans of Jack Tripper, Janet Wood, Chrissy Snow, Cindy Snow, Terri Alden, Mr. and Mrs. Roper, Mr. Furley, and Larry Dallas here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

This show seems very tame by today's standards, but at the time, it was the raunchiest thing going on mainstream American prime time T.V. The show was a big hit throughout its eight seasons from 1976 to 1984, and was inspired by a British comedy called MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE.

So any other fans of Jack Tripper, Janet Wood, Chrissy Snow, Cindy Snow, Terri Alden, Mr. and Mrs. Roper, Mr. Furley, and Larry Dallas here?
    Heck yeah. One of my childhood favorites. Raunchy, of course, a guy living with two girls. All men's fantasy isn't it?

Remember that one financial aid dude whose eyes would light up when Jack mentioned he was living with two girls?

Hey you are forgetting Eleanor, the one that moved out in order for Jack to move in, lol. I think they actually showed Eleanor coming back to visit in one of the later episodes.

You ever saw the original pilot on DVD that was shot in England. I am so glad they changed the casting for the Janet and Chrissy role. They made Mrs Roper a lot funnier too. The original Mrs Roper was like an old hag who lost all of her fun. The new Mrs Roper they made her someone who constantly shoved the thought that she is just not getting any from her husband.

The very last scene when Terri turned off the lights in the apartment, I think I had a tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Heck yeah. One of my childhood favorites. Raunchy, of course, a guy living with two girls. All men's fantasy isn't it?
    Yep. The situation is no longer as uncommon as it was back in the 1970s and 1980s, though.

Remember that one financial aid dude whose eyes would light up when Jack mentioned he was living with two girls?
    Dean Travers, the dean of the cooking school that Jack attended. That guy was hilarious because he was so sleazy.

Hey you are forgetting Eleanor, the one that moved out in order for Jack to move in, lol. I think they actually showed Eleanor coming back to visit in one of the later episodes.
    Yes. Eleanor showed up for one episode in Season 3. Nothing was said about her husband or the baby she had apparently moved out of the apartment to have, however.

You ever saw the original pilot on DVD that was shot in England. I am so glad they changed the casting for the Janet and Chrissy role. They made Mrs Roper a lot funnier too. The original Mrs Roper was like an old hag who lost all of her fun.
    Yeah. I have the DVDs for the entire run of the show, and I saw the pilot episode. The pilot episode didn't fully capture the show's potential. I think in the pilot, they were trying to use the original British formula more directly, which wouldn't work for most American audiences because British and American humor have their differences. After Joyce DeWitt and Suzanne Somers joined the cast, the show was retooled for more American-style humor.

The new Mrs Roper they made her someone who constantly shoved the thought that she is just not getting any from her husband.
    The Ropers were hilarious. One of the funniest scenes of the entire series was when Mr. Roper mistakenly eats a plate of dog food (thinking it's a special French dish that Jack prepared), and ends up liking it! I roll on the ground every time I watch that scene!

The very last scene when Terri turned off the lights in the apartment, I think I had a tear.
    It was a shame that they couldn't bring back all of the old characters for the finale, wasn't it? It would have been great if the final episode featured Chrissy, the Ropers, Cindy, even Lana (a semi-regular character in Season 4) for one final blast. Alas...

It's also sad that John Ritter passed away in 2003; perhaps if he had lived, the old cast members could have gotten together for a reunion show letting us know what Jack, Janet, Chrissy, Cindy, Terri, Larry (and until 2006, Mr. Furley) were up to twenty years later.

>Dean Travers, the dean of the cooking school that Jack attended. That guy was hilarious because he was so sleazy.

Remember Jack came back for another episode. Jack mentioned something about Mrs Roper living upstairs. The guy was like "You're living with three girls?...with the grin.

>Eleanor showed up for one episode in Season 3. Nothing was said about her husband or the baby she had apparently moved out of the apartment to have, however.

You would think that she would bring her baby back to see her old roommates. I mean, come on, I don't think Janet even ever saw the baby. Remember in episode 1, Janet was basically half dead after the party she did not know what happened. Chrissy informed her Eleanor gave birth to a baby boy I think. So Janet never had the chance to see Eleanor's child.

>I think in the pilot, they were trying to use the original British formula more directly, which wouldn't work for most American audiences because British and American humor have their differences.

Do you have all the DVDs so far? I heard there were two episodes of that very short stint with the other two girls. I was wondering if they ever released the second episode in any of the other Threes Company Seasons DVD.

Does Mrs Roper not getting any from Mr Roper remind you of Peggy Bundy and her not being satisfied with Al? I think at least Al does it, albeit in a whopping 3 minutes total. Mrs Roper I am sure would be satisfied if Mr Roper even only does it for 3 minutes.

>It was a shame that they couldn't bring back all of the old characters for the finale, wasn't it? It would have been great if the final episode featured Chrissy, the Ropers, Cindy, even Lana (a semi-regular character in Season 4) for one final blast. Alas...

How odd it is to have Janet's wedding, and neither Eleanor or Chrissy, her long time friends show up. I understand Eleanor is really just a minor character, so it was understandable. But why not bring Chrissy back to be in the finale. Her troubles with the offstage people must be really bad. I believe they did not even mention her in the final episode. They could have at least said Chrissy was busy and she can not make the wedding. Or at least pretend to have Janet talk to Chrissy over the phone or something.

Is Lana Jack's girlfriend?

>(and until 2006, Mr. Furley).

Are you saying Barney Fife died? Wow, I guess I might have missed the news there.

>Dean Travers, the dean of the cooking school that Jack attended. That guy was hilarious because he was so sleazy.

Remember Jack came back for another episode. Jack mentioned something about Mrs Roper living upstairs. The guy was like "You're living with three girls?...with the grin.
    Dean Travers actually showed up for quite a number of episodes during the first few seasons of THREE'S COMPANY (basically any episode featuring Jack at the cooking school). Later, after Jack graduated and began to cook professionally, the character was essentially replaced by Jack's boss, restaurant owner Mr. Angelino. Mr. Angelino was totally different from Dean Travers, though. Angelino was a loudmouth and an abusive boss rather than a pervert.

>Eleanor showed up for one episode in Season 3. Nothing was said about her husband or the baby she had apparently moved out of the apartment to have, however.

You would think that she would bring her baby back to see her old roommates. I mean, come on, I don't think Janet even ever saw the baby. Remember in episode 1, Janet was basically half dead after the party she did not know what happened. Chrissy informed her Eleanor gave birth to a baby boy I think. So Janet never had the chance to see Eleanor's child.
    Yeah, the whole thing with Eleanor being pregnant and having a baby was dropped as if it had never happened. Interestingly, Eleanor was said to have moved to San Diego...which is where Jack originally came from.

>I think in the pilot, they were trying to use the original British formula more directly, which wouldn't work for most American audiences because British and American humor have their differences.

Do you have all the DVDs so far? I heard there were two episodes of that very short stint with the other two girls. I was wondering if they ever released the second episode in any of the other Threes Company Seasons DVD.
    Yes, I have all the DVDs. Two pilots were shot, and I think both made it onto the DVDs.

Does Mrs Roper not getting any from Mr Roper remind you of Peggy Bundy and her not being satisfied with Al? I think at least Al does it, albeit in a whopping 3 minutes total. Mrs Roper I am sure would be satisfied if Mr Roper even only does it for 3 minutes.
    It certainly does, although the Ropers were less mean-spirited than the Bundys. I think perhaps the Bundys were inspired, to some degree, by the Ropers.

>It was a shame that they couldn't bring back all of the old characters for the finale, wasn't it? It would have been great if the final episode featured Chrissy, the Ropers, Cindy, even Lana (a semi-regular character in Season 4) for one final blast. Alas...

How odd it is to have Janet's wedding, and neither Eleanor or Chrissy, her long time friends show up. I understand Eleanor is really just a minor character, so it was understandable. But why not bring Chrissy back to be in the finale. Her troubles with the offstage people must be really bad.
    It was. From the time that Suzanne Somers (Chrissy) left the show in 1980 until John Ritter's death in 2003, she and Joyce DeWitt (Janet) were not on speaking terms. It was only when Ritter (with whom both were still friendly) died that they had something like a reconciliation.

I believe they did not even mention her in the final episode. They could have at least said Chrissy was busy and she can not make the wedding. Or at least pretend to have Janet talk to Chrissy over the phone or something.
    Chrissy was phased out gradually. She was in the first two episodes of Season 5 and for the rest of that season, she appeared only in the "tag scenes" at the end of each episode, talking with Janet or Jack on the phone. The last such episode was near the end of Season 5 and after that, Chrissy was never even mentioned again. For one more season, her cousin Cindy was the only connection back to Chrissy, but by Season 7, even Cindy was gone.

Is Lana Jack's girlfriend?
    She was this sl*tty, slightly older woman (in her forties) who moved into the apartment at the beginning of Season 4. She had the hots for Jack, but Jack wasn't interested. Mr. Furley, however, had the hots for Lana bad, although she always rejected him.

The character was actually a regular for the first part of Season 4, but the character didn't click with audiences and was phased out by the end of the season.

>(and until 2006, Mr. Furley).

Are you saying Barney Fife died? Wow, I guess I might have missed the news there.
    Yes. Sadly, Don Knotts passed away in early 2006.

Both of the Ropers (Norman Fell and Audra Lindley) also passed away in the late 1990s.

Yeah, I grew up watching Three's Company. I remember my parents being okay with the guy living with two girls because it was obviously platonic, but they seemed rather uncomfortable with Jack's pretense of being gay. I think it was one of the first prime time comedies that presented the subject of homosexuality. I don't think an actual gay character a la Will & Grace would have been acceptable to the "older" generation at the time.

I really liked the Ropers and the show wasn't the same after they left. Norman Fell's character was more subtle than Don Knotts who seemed to continue his Barney Fife role when he joined the cast. The Ropers spin-off didn't last too long either if I remember correctly.

Definitely one of the all-time classic sit-coms.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Yeah, I grew up watching Three's Company. I remember my parents being okay with the guy living with two girls because it was obviously platonic, but they seemed rather uncomfortable with Jack's pretense of being gay. I think it was one of the first prime time comedies that presented the subject of homosexuality. I don't think an actual gay character a la Will & Grace would have been acceptable to the "older" generation at the time.
    You know: I'm not sure about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if THREE'S COMPANY was the first mainstream American TV program to so openly discuss the subject of homosexuality. I don't think you'd find too many direct references to homosexuality on U.S. TV prior to that.

I really liked the Ropers and the show wasn't the same after they left. Norman Fell's character was more subtle than Don Knotts who seemed to continue his Barney Fife role when he joined the cast. The Ropers spin-off didn't last too long either if I remember correctly.
    I loved the Ropers and Mr. Furley, but each offered a different kind of comedy. When the Ropers were around, the jokes were more sexual innuendo; when Mr. Furley took over, the innuendo was still there sometimes, but it became much more of a *physical* comedy...more slapstick.

Definitely one of the all-time classic sit-coms.
    It's still funny even today, even though the "raunchy" sexuality of the show seems quaint and chaste by today's standards.

I enjoyed Three's Company very much. Of course I watched it in re-runs a few years ago, so I never really understood why it was such a big deal for Jack to live with two girls.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I enjoyed Three's Company very much. Of course I watched it in re-runs a few years ago, so I never really understood why it was such a big deal for Jack to live with two girls.
    It's no big deal these days. I'm not sure it was really such a big deal in a city such as L.A. (where the characters lived) by the late 1970s. It was just that Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley were so conservative that it was a problem, I guess.

It's no big deal these days. I'm not sure it was really such a big deal in a city such as L.A. (where the characters lived) by the late 1970s. It was just that Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley were so conservative that it was a problem, I guess.
    Yet, they were able to accept that Jack was gay?

Yet, they were able to accept that Jack was gay?
    Yeah...because as long as he's gay, he won't be having any hanky panky with his two girl roommates.

I know, it defies logic, but that's TV Land.

Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley had a lot of fun with gay jokes at Jack's expense. Those jokes probably wouldn't fly today, but back then, they were "edgy."

Yeah...because as long as he's gay, he won't be having any hanky panky with his two girl roommates.

I know, it defies logic, but that's TV Land.

Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley had a lot of fun with gay jokes at Jack's expense. Those jokes probably wouldn't fly today, but back then, they were "edgy."
    I didn't think any of the jokes from Mr Roper or Mr Furley was funny at all. Pretty lame imo, but the audience at the time laughed really hard.

The saddest part for me came after seeing that movie on how Three's Company was made. Suzzanne Somers became a big star after that show and had a fallout with the cast. She was filmed seperated from the other casts. It was sad to hear that.

I didn't think any of the jokes from Mr Roper or Mr Furley was funny at all. Pretty lame imo, but the audience at the time laughed really hard.
    Mr. Roper was mainly about the sly, cheesy looks he gave the camera after he made some wisecrack about his wife...or the blank, stupid look he sometimes gave in reaction to something Jack did. Mr. Furley was mainly about the exaggerated facial expressions and movements, the dorky 70s clothes, and the fact that he thought of himself as a swinging babe magnet when he was nothing of the sort.

I love Three's Company. It's definitely on my list of favorite classics!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Later, after Jack graduated and began to cook professionally, the character was essentially replaced by Jack's boss, restaurant owner Mr. Angelino.
    Is Mr Angelino the one with his daughter Vickie in which Jack make a Three's a Crowd Spinoff with? Or is Angelino overrun by Vickie's father towards the end of the series finale?

Two pilots were shot, and I think both made it onto the DVDs.
    May I know which Season DVD featured the second episode?

From the time that Suzanne Somers (Chrissy) left the show in 1980 until John Ritter's death in 2003, she and Joyce DeWitt (Janet) were not on speaking terms. It was only when Ritter (with whom both were still friendly) died that they had something like a reconciliation.
    Did they went to his funeral? Is this when the reconcilation took place?

Of the DVDs you have, did Chrissy ever have any part in it? You know like how Joyce gave a memo to John Ritter's life. Did they get Suzanne to do anything like that for the later episodes? I hope in one of the Season DVDs they feature the show in which Lucille Ball remembers the casts in the series looking back at its run. Having the funniest woman on TV all time in my opinion commenting on one of the best sitcoms in the late 70s/ early 80s.

Yes. Sadly, Don Knotts passed away in early 2006.
    Ah, Andy Griffith is still alive right. Pretty sad seeing all my childhood stars dying from John Ritter, Bob Denver, Fred Rogers, among the rest.

Hopefully this thread can bring new topics for other old series favorites: Wonder Years, Saved by the Bell, among others.

Is Mr Angelino the one with his daughter Vickie in which Jack make a Three's a Crowd Spinoff with? Or is Angelino overrun by Vickie's father towards the end of the series finale?
    No, Vicky's father was a different character altogether. Mr. Angelino was the owner of the restaurant where Jack worked before opening his own restaurant.

May I know which Season DVD featured the second episode?
    You know, honestly, I'm not sure. I think it was on one of the early season DVDs, but I'd have to check.

Did they went to his funeral? Is this when the reconcilation took place?
    I think one or both of them attended Ritter's funeral. From what I've read, one of them contacted the other in the immediate aftermath of Ritter's death. Both had lost a good friend and found consolation in each other's company (no pun intended). A lot of the old bitterness got worked out during that conversation (but it's too bad that "Jack" had to die for it to happen).

Of the DVDs you have, did Chrissy ever have any part in it? You know like how Joyce gave a memo to John Ritter's life. Did they get Suzanne to do anything like that for the later episodes?
    Unfortunately, no. Joyce DeWitt, Jenilee Harrison (Cindy), Richard Kline (Larry), and Don Knotts (Mr. Furley) all participated, but Suzanne Somers and Priscilla Barnes (Terri) didn't. John Ritter was represented by his wife.

I hope in one of the Season DVDs they feature the show in which Lucille Ball remembers the casts in the series looking back at its run. Having the funniest woman on TV all time in my opinion commenting on one of the best sitcoms in the late 70s/ early 80s.
    That was in the extras included for Season 6. "Lucy" was a big fan of THREE'S COMPANY and John Ritter in particular; she felt that Ritter had the same kind of ability that she had to do physical and slapstick humor.

Ah, Andy Griffith is still alive right. Pretty sad seeing all my childhood stars dying from John Ritter, Bob Denver, Fred Rogers, among the rest.
    Andy Griffith is still kicking, and in fact, he had a fairly significant role in some new movie recently.

Hopefully this thread can bring new topics for other old series favorites: Wonder Years, Saved by the Bell, among others.
    You can start one, you know.

Incidentally, I attended an English class at UCLA with Danica McKellar (Winnie Cooper).

From what I've read, one of them contacted the other in the immediate aftermath of Ritter's death. Both had lost a good friend and found consolation in each other's company (no pun intended). A lot of the old bitterness got worked out during that conversation (but it's too bad that "Jack" had to die for it to happen).
    I heard until Kitty Lai became born again Christian, she and Sheren Tang did not see eye to eye in a long time as well right?

Incidentally, I attended an English class at UCLA with Danica McKellar (Winnie Cooper).
    Was it Math related? I heard she graduated with a Math degree. Did you knew it was her? People refer to her as Winnie Cooper?

I heard until Kitty Lai became born again Christian, she and Sheren Tang did not see eye to eye in a long time as well right?
    Maybe they were fighting over Cheung Mo Gei again.

That's when an actor knows that he/she has been too involved in a role; the role takes on a life of its own and begins to dominate real life as well.

Was it Math related? I heard she graduated with a Math degree. Did you knew it was her? People refer to her as Winnie Cooper?
    It was an English class. I knew it was her because I'd heard she was attending UCLA at the time. Nobody called her "Winnie," but I do remember once when she was walking down the the hall, two guys stopped her to ask, "Are you Winnie Cooper?"

I loved Winnie Cooper!!!!! Wow, if she attented college with you, does that mean she's also in her 40's like you?

I loved Winnie Cooper!!!!! Wow, if she attented college with you, does that mean she's also in her 40's like you?
    Thirties. I think she's around the same age I am (I'm 35)...maybe a year or two younger.