Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass

It previewed here this past weekend, probly what bella snuck into. The official release date is Friday, Dec. 7th. 0-0-0, you should write a letter, hehe.

Short excerpt from an article on the religious debate:
    In early October, the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights launched a boycott of the film, calling it "selling atheism to kids" at Christmastime in stealth fashion.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

The Golden Compass is awesome
    then again, my expectations are not that high.
    read the book 'Northern Lights' when i was younger although i can't remember a thing now o.0 so i'm reading it again hahas (:
    anyhow i like the ice bear. the big fighting bear so adorable :O
    the only thing was that half the names were too long&confusing that me and my friends couldn't shut up and kept on asking each other how to pronounce them
    it's so much better than enchanted
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

I've just finished watching it as well. I think it's quite good considering that many critics gave poor reviews of the movie. Like dragonite3579, I didn't have high expectation when watching it (probably because of all the reviews i read) - but i think it's not as bad as some says.
    I think Nicole Kidman is good inside it - blonde or brunette. Does it even matter what colour her hair is? It doesn't change her character. Anyway - i think they had her hair blonde so as to match that lovely gold dress she wore when she first appeared on screen.

Anyway, I don't see the reason for those Christian groups boycotting the movie and making such a big fuss. I can't find anything in the movie that points towards anti-christ.
    Last edited by f.alchemist_freak; 12-08-07 at 11:17 AM.
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

Perhaps it's because the main characters were planning to overthrow the Magesterium, the film's version of the novel's Church.

To be frank, I thought the movie was absolutely horrible. First, it was way too short. Everything flashed by. The acting was ok at best.

Also, too much good scenes from the novel were cut out. I wanna see flamethrowers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Perhaps it's because the main characters were planning to overthrow the Magesterium, the film's version of the novel's Church.

To be frank, I thought the movie was absolutely horrible. First, it was way too short. Everything flashed by. The acting was ok at best.

Also, too much good scenes from the novel were cut out. I wanna see flamethrowers!!!
    It wasn't so clear yet at this point, but by the time of book3, the book clearly stated that the main characters were fighting against God who had really become an invalid or something to that point. @_@

I thought the film was okay and not bad, but the storyline was highly predictable. I love Nicole Kidman in the film.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

His Dark Materials.. sounds like a good title for ....

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    It wasn't so clear yet at this point, but by the time of book3, the book clearly stated that the main characters were fighting against God who had really become an invalid or something to that point. @_@

I thought the film was okay and not bad, but the storyline was highly predictable. I love Nicole Kidman in the film.
    I love Nicole Kidman in all her movies. She's just amazing.

Man I can't wait to see what the Catholics would do when the 3rd movie comes out.

How much did it take to make this movie? So far they've only earned $40,768,661 and it's already their second weekend. I mean Alvin and the Chipmunks are beating them at $44,307,417 and that's just their first weekend release. Doesn't Nicole Kidman get paid about $20+ million a film? I wonder how much they lost.
    Last edited by GuGu; 12-22-07 at 06:43 PM.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    How much did it take to make this movie? So far they've only earned $40,768,661 and it's already their second weekend. I mean Alvin and the Chipmunks are beating them at $44,307,417 and that's just their first weekend release. Doesn't Nicole Kidman get paid about $20+ million a film? I wonder how much they lost.
    It costs $180 million to make this movie, so the studio is losing out big time! I don't think there will be part II, which is a bummer because I really enjoyed this movie. Hopefully, they will make up for the cost when they release the movie worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    It costs $180 million to make this movie, so the studio is losing out big time! I don't think there will be part II, which is a bummer because I really enjoyed this movie. Hopefully, they will make up for the cost when they release the movie worldwide.
    I doubt they'll get $140+ million.

Man I can't wait to see what the Catholics would do when the 3rd movie comes out.
    yeah, i think nicole kidman is quite good in all her films. Her along with Cate Blanchett are probably my two favourite australian actresses.

well, it is still not out yet, so i won't have a chance to watch it for a while.

also, it seems lust caution comes out January 17th. We're like, 3 months behind or something

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    yeah, i think nicole kidman is quite good in all her films. Her along with Cate Blanchett are probably my two favourite australian actresses.

well, it is still not out yet, so i won't have a chance to watch it for a while.

also, it seems lust caution comes out January 17th. We're like, 3 months behind or something
    Censored, or uncensored?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

so Christian and Catholics hate it? then i better go watch this movie.....i love movie that christianity hate

if they have great faith in their god, then y worry about this movie preaches atheist? it's ridiculous and stupid......

I doubt they'll get $140+ million.
    no, they past that....now around $257,540,902 according to wiki :d

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    You serious? WOW!

Okay, I found the wikipedia page. Yeah, the total gross is 257,540,902 right now. I'm surprised it did so well.

So they only made about $77 million in profit. Still considered low compared to the other higher budget films, right?
    Last edited by GuGu; 01-04-08 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    This is worldwide gross figure. US box office is only around $62,000,000 so far.

It costs $250,000,000 to make this movie, plus $59,0000,000 advertising expense. For complete figure: http://the-numbers.com/movies/2007/DARKM.php

Nicole Kidman was paid $15,000,000 for this movie. And she was named one of the most overpaid celebrities recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post

It costs $250,000,000 to make this movie, plus $59,0000,000 advertising expense. For complete figure: http://the-numbers.com/movies/2007/DARKM.php

Nicole Kidman was paid $15,000,000 for this movie. And she was named one of the most overpaid celebrities recently.
    WOW! So they barely made anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    This is worldwide gross figure. US box office is only around $62,000,000 so far.

there are two number....180 million and 250 million....w/e the right number....there is also dvd coming too....

i just want to see where they "kill god", i think in part 2....lol....

where did the "His Dark Materials" come from? i haven't read the book yet. so i got pretty confused when watching the movie. especially about 'dust'. i felt that the movie didn't explain their concepts well, and rushing through all the storyline that must've been in the book. but i felt like the movie was too long. i thought the acting was good. mrs coulter's character got me confused if she's good or bad. while watching, i didn't really notice any blatant anti-christian stuff either. other than daemon sounding like demons. i thought the magisterium could be just a government too, not necessarily church. but yeah this is all because i haven't read the books.

on a side note, i went to the movie website and took their daemon test for fun. i got a snow leopard for a daemon.