Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technology Which Hasnt Changed Over the Years

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    We are now at a point in life where the world is dominated by the World Wide Web, and we have millions of kids surfing online everyday.

I wonder if they ever take the time to read classics such as:

Compt de Monte Cristo
    Les Trois Mousquetaires
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Voyage to the Moon
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Prince Machiavelli
    and other such classics.

What about modern age books for youngsters such as:
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Nancy Drew
    The Hardy Boys
    My Teacher is an Alien series
    Matilda and other Roald Dhal books
    and sweet classics such as Heidi (the swiss story)
    or Pippi Longstockings (the swedish story).

And I don't mean reading due to class/school requirement, but reading out of their own interest and time.

Most youngsters nowadays that I see, playing online games with their friends, listening to mp3s, watching movies, etc I don't see them going to the library and picking up a good book to read. I began my interest and love for reading when I was 7-8 years old (that was back in 1990) and ever since then I've read over 5000 books, magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. I remember reading Dracula when I was 10 and by my 11th bday I had read Sherlock Holmes, Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers, 20 Years After, Call of the Wild and many other classics. I also read fun kid books like How I survived 5th Grade. I even finished the entire Tolkian series by that time.

Sure I know we have Harry Potter now, but that book in my opinion cannot be considered a classic.

So books are another techonology which hasn't changed though we now have E-Books.
    That is of course a natural developement. Back in your days, the most awesome computer game machine was Micro Genius. Not many people have computers, let alone going internet. Of course more people will read books. They don't have many other distraction and entertainment choice. Those olden days Islamic scientists were even more awesome. They were usually expert in many fields together like geopgraphy, mathematics, physics, astromony, chemistry, philosophy. At that time they didn't even have TV to distract them.

Secondly, not everyone is fortunate enough to be exposed to many classics like you did especially people from diffferent cultures. As far as I know, not everyone's father is an embassador (if your word are to be believed). I didn't even know the existance of Tolkien until the recent movie adaptation were made. That doesn't mean I didn't read books from young. Have you read Hikayat Malim Deman ? It's a Malay classic book.

So, no need to look down on youngsters today just because they choose to occupy their time with other things than reading classic books.

Maybe these youngster prefer reading more modern novels than 'Nancy Drew' and 'Hardy Boys'.

P.S. You really love finding every opportunity to tell people how intelligent and superior you are, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    Ha! and most youngsters now dont even know who Gilbert and Sulliven are.

I ask them if they ever seen the play/operetta Madam Butterfly, or Pirates of Penzence or The Mikado and they look confused.

right now I'm sure people are gonna give me the excuse that because they are chicoms or asian they haven't read these books because it isnt part of their culture.

Thats not really an excuse, because I'm asian too and those books aren't part of my culture, but I've read them. I've read the Tale of Genji, I've read Journey to the West, and other asian books too.
    Haha. Yeap. No one can compare to our dear MysteriouX. Such wide knowledge, such love of culture and such depth of thinking.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-29-07 at 10:39 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Well, it has evolved from Ye Olde Farmyers Almanack nailed to the post into triple-ply ultra soft.
    That doesn't count. The basic technology is still the same.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-27-07 at 03:27 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

im actually amazed at how cup noodles changed so dramatically

pennies havent changed btw
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

We now have "plastic" wave, instead of need to sign at check-out

Chopsticks should be another one.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Here's a thought-provoking article...and pretty hilarious I might add. He raises some interesting points.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...997287,00.html
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Still today, we use paper currency; yeah its debatable too that we, also uses credit cards that put you into debt.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

the wheel.

i love how mysterioux loves to show off his 'so called' superiority. He must have gone to a pretty stupid school if he thinks he's the only one who read classics as a child/teen.

Well, it kinda have to do with his personality; we all read classics during the child/teen years. The only difference, his personality is more specialized, oh yeah we both have the same personality types The only difference, his is more intensive, while I'm neutural; guess I need to do more reading.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Everything listed have changed, maybe not great.

Coinage, have become lighter, easier to make, cheaper materials

Paper money, well some are now plastic, they have fine details that differientiate them from fakes, much better than in the past. Fraud ability and countering all have improved.

We have mechanical shovels. The manual ones are made from better material.

Chopsticks ... oh this one is hard, I guess there are plastic ones, cheaper material, disinfected wood.

Wheels - eh I think they are more round with time, lighter, made from various types of materials, say tyres., and some have cogs on them.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Actually, there is "No" debate based on the restraints that MysteriouX has placed on us. Glasses basic concept will always be Glasses. Engine basic concept will always be Engine.

When something new is invented....it gets a new name. Therefore cannot be same concept. If to be a debate...we would have to argue the general concept. For example..."Transportation," "Visual Aides" etc.

Transportation, we have evolved from horse driven wagons to steam, to mechanical, to gas, to planes etc.

Visual, we've evolved from glasses, contact, laser eye surgery, etc.

Off topic: Dam LuNaR....you're cute!!!
    Last edited by oGaKirA; 09-30-07 at 06:18 PM.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Everything listed have changed, maybe not great.

Coinage, have become lighter, easier to make, cheaper materials

Paper money, well some are now plastic, they have fine details that differientiate them from fakes, much better than in the past. Fraud ability and countering all have improved.

We have mechanical shovels. The manual ones are made from better material.

Chopsticks ... oh this one is hard, I guess there are plastic ones, cheaper material, disinfected wood.

Wheels - eh I think they are more round with time, lighter, made from various types of materials, say tyres., and some have cogs on them.
    This was the point of the article I posted. The writer is saying that technology hasn't changed in 100 years. As with the examples above, all that's been done is to improve on what's already been invented. I tend to agree.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Ah I see the point of this thread. So are you saying the exercise should be finding something that is new?

Member of TC fanclub.

Ah I see the point of this thread. So are you saying the exercise should be finding something that is new?
    No, the subject of the thread is how has technology has changed in the last 100 years, so most of the examples are valid. The thread then naturally progressed to what is new and what has changed, although you could argue that any change leads to something new. There's definitely a grey-area here.

Example, the evolution of books printed on paper to E-books is a change to an existing technology - the book. The computer that allows this could be considered the 'new' technology.

Or take the horse-drawn wagon to motorized car. The transportation part isn't new, just changed - still wheels on a chasis with a power-source to move it. Switching from a biological engine to a mechanical engine was the 'new' technology.
    john-e

Just extending the grey area. Can we argue all technology that are 'new' can be found in biological organisms?

Member of TC fanclub.

Just extending the grey area. Can we argue all technology that are 'new' can be found in biological organisms?
    Do you mean things like cloning for replacement organs or a biological computer chip? Those are two new bio-technologies I can think of, although cloning of plants by humans has been around for hundreds of years.

I'd have to disagree that all new technology will be biological. Finding a new method of propulsion, like warping space wouldn't be biological...but I guess we can't say that until someone figures out how to do it. Maybe there's some animal out there that does it naturally...like space-whales!
    john-e

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Do you mean things like cloning for replacement organs or a biological computer chip? Those are two new bio-technologies I can think of, although cloning of plants by humans has been around for hundreds of years.

I'd have to disagree that all new technology will be biological. Finding a new method of propulsion, like warping space wouldn't be biological...but I guess we can't say that until someone figures out how to do it. Maybe there's some animal out there that does it naturally...like space-whales!
    No I mean in reverse. Like say computer vs nervous system, muscles for propulsion, except some are discovered before understanding the body, and others are modeled on body parts.

Member of TC fanclub.

So if I understand correctly, you're saying all new technology has had its origins in something biological. Cars replaced horses, shovels replaced digging with hands, etc. Makes sense to me and I see how that really expands the grey-area.

Like, is the technology used to go to the moon, just an improvement on the wheel, which was a new technology because it replaced walking on foot? Or is the modern computer just an improvement on the abacus (the first computer)? Nothing new, just changed?

I can see this leading to a long debate on what is 'new' technology and what is 'changed' technology. Which leads to the arguement, is anything that has changed considered new? I smell smoke....
    john-e

Like you said - everything can be considered new but probably had some influence from something else. We invent things based on foundations laid down by the past. Greatest invention fire was a replica of those created by lightening - discovering trees love to burn (not sure how they got to the friction = heat). Wheels after observing round things travel further (spherical stones).

Member of TC fanclub.