Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technology Which Hasnt Changed Over the Years

Default Technology Which Hasnt Changed Over the Years

Lets make a list of items which hasn't basically changed over the years. Ok some items may have changed in size and shape and additional features and functions but basically they are still the same by principle.

Telephones (landlines): still using a base and handset
    Earphones: still using a pin-plug, wire and earplugs (same for headsets)
    Hard Drives: the basic concept hasn't changed for the past 50 years
    Eye glasses: Over 2 centuries the same basic concept and design
    The Keyboard: from typewriters to computer keyboards, the basic layout and design hasn't changed. Even with the advent of new keyboard layouts and designs for ergonomic purposes which don't seem to be around much.

can anyone think of other gadgets, items that we use in our daily average life that hasn't changed in the past century or more?
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-19-07 at 02:01 PM.

Pens, pencils, and paper

pretty much anything related to audio haven't been change in a long time, old stuff are still as expensive as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    pretty much anything related to audio haven't been change in a long time, old stuff are still as expensive as ever.
    pretty much true, speakers, mics, those stuff may have become smaller and more powerful but still work on the same principle they did 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    Lets make a list of items which hasn't basically changed over the years. Ok some items may have changed in size and shape and additional features and functions but basically they are still the same by principle.

Telephones (landlines): still using a base and handset
    Earphones: still using a pin-plug, wire and earplugs (same for headsets)
    Hard Drives: the basic concept hasn't changed for the past 50 years
    Eye glasses: Over 2 centuries the same basic concept and design
    The Keyboard: from typewriters to computer keyboards, the basic layout and design hasn't changed. Even with the advent of new keyboard layouts and designs for ergonomic purposes which don't seem to be around much.

can anyone think of other gadgets, items that we use in our daily average life that hasn't changed in the past century or more?
    Well I think we should be more general.
    I mean Telephones has changed. There are cordless now. Cell phone
    Earphones, they have earbuds now. Cordless
    Eye glasses...there are contacts, laser eye.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Well I think we should be more general.
    I mean Telephones has changed. There are cordless now. Cell phone
    Earphones, they have earbuds now. Cordless
    Eye glasses...there are contacts, laser eye.
    Laser eye? I don't think the 6 million dollar man nor the bionic woman exists yet.

You probably mean laser eye surgery, but that has existed for the past half century already.

earbuds have existed since the 1960s. wireless headsets have existed since the 1980s, they were just too large.

but what I am talking about is the basic concept of technology.

I wonder which technologies we will still have by the year 3000.

Will we still be using lighting systems based on fluorescent lamp technology? Will we still be using LCD polymer (paper thin) screens? Radios/radio communication will still exist probably, but with more power and functionalities. Will we still be using keyboards to type/enter data or will we change over to a complete voice operated system?

Plates and other kitchen utensils will probably remain the same, do you think so?

Just my opinion that "alot" of things hasn't changed as far as basic concept if that's what you mean. Cuz we build on its technology. To see a drastic or noticable change will take many many years.

What would be easier is to list things that has changed.
    I would say the Engine. Started as Steam, then now gas.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Just my opinion that "alot" of things hasn't changed as far as basic concept if that's what you mean. Cuz we build on its technology. To see a drastic or noticable change will take many many years.

What would be easier is to list things that has changed.
    I would say the Engine. Started as Steam, then now gas.
    edit: I agree with what you said.

with the engine, the basic concept of how it works is the same, its the driving force and fuel which has changed.

speaking of which; The Electric Motor, hasn't changed at all.

And in the 20th century, we made a lot of what people considered science fiction in the 18th and 19th centuries to become reality. Jules Verne wrote about people going to the moon or sailing under the ocean surface and during his time these were fiction.

I think I am dabbling in nostalgia here, because the modern generation of today fail to realize what we've been through. How much the world has changed and how it will continue to change.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-19-07 at 07:21 PM.

with the engine, the basic concept of how it works is the same, its the driving force and fuel which has changed.
    Well if you're being that specific then not alot has changed.

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

We are now at a point in life where the world is dominated by the World Wide Web, and we have millions of kids surfing online everyday.

I wonder if they ever take the time to read classics such as:

Compt de Monte Cristo
    Les Trois Mousquetaires
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Voyage to the Moon
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Prince Machiavelli
    and other such classics.

What about modern age books for youngsters such as:
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Nancy Drew
    The Hardy Boys
    My Teacher is an Alien series
    Matilda and other Roald Dhal books
    and sweet classics such as Heidi (the swiss story)
    or Pippi Longstockings (the swedish story).

And I don't mean reading due to class/school requirement, but reading out of their own interest and time.

Most youngsters nowadays that I see, playing online games with their friends, listening to mp3s, watching movies, etc I don't see them going to the library and picking up a good book to read. I began my interest and love for reading when I was 7-8 years old (that was back in 1990) and ever since then I've read over 5000 books, magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. I remember reading Dracula when I was 10 and by my 11th bday I had read Sherlock Holmes, Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers, 20 Years After, Call of the Wild and many other classics. I also read fun kid books like How I survived 5th Grade. I even finished the entire Tolkian series by that time.

Sure I know we have Harry Potter now, but that book in my opinion cannot be considered a classic.

So books are another techonology which hasn't changed though we now have E-Books.

Ha! and most youngsters now dont even know who Gilbert and Sulliven are.

I ask them if they ever seen the play/operetta Madam Butterfly, or Pirates of Penzence or The Mikado and they look confused.

right now I'm sure people are gonna give me the excuse that because they are chicoms or asian they haven't read these books because it isnt part of their culture.

Thats not really an excuse, because I'm asian too and those books aren't part of my culture, but I've read them. I've read the Tale of Genji, I've read Journey to the West, and other asian books too.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-19-07 at 07:43 PM.

speaking of future tech, I wonder how Baseball, Football, Soccer, Tennis and other sports will be like in the year 3000.

I just remembered something from my youth. When I was 10 I read this kids science magazine 3-2-1 Contact and one issue had an article about scientists and experts called Futurists, ever since then I've been wanting to be one of them.

Futurists are people who study the changes and trends and other changes in life and daily economics, business, technologies, other stuff and try to predict what trends will occur in the future. They dont just go and say this or that will happen in the future, they do serious study and analysis and come up with feasible predictions. Most of their predictions are in the area of how life will be like in the future and what gadgets or inventions we will be using.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-19-07 at 08:30 PM.

Laser eye? I don't think the 6 million dollar man nor the bionic woman exists yet.

You probably mean laser eye surgery, but that has existed for the past half century already.

earbuds have existed since the 1960s. wireless headsets have existed since the 1980s, they were just too large.

but what I am talking about is the basic concept of technology.

I wonder which technologies we will still have by the year 3000.

Will we still be using lighting systems based on fluorescent lamp technology? Will we still be using LCD polymer (paper thin) screens? Radios/radio communication will still exist probably, but with more power and functionalities. Will we still be using keyboards to type/enter data or will we change over to a complete voice operated system?

Plates and other kitchen utensils will probably remain the same, do you think so?
    Laser eye surgery has NOT existed for the past half century, lasers weren't even invented 50 years ago.

I believe in the year 3000, there will be a way to profuce antimatter cheaply and efficiently at a fraction of the energy produced by the antimatter thus providing the world with literally endless energy. I believe humans on Earth will begin exploiting the resources on the ocean floor as land resources run out. I believe humans on Earth will construct self-sustaining floating cities to relieve high population density on land. I believe humans will be able to conrtol graviton thus enabling warp drive and travel to other star systems.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Laser eye surgery has NOT existed for the past half century, lasers weren't even invented 50 years ago.
    ahh trust me on this lasers have existed since the late 1950s. Ruby Lasers have existed for a long time.

toilet paper.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

ahh trust me on this lasers have existed since the late 1950s. Ruby Lasers have existed for a long time.
    Laser eye surgery first began in the late 1990s. Before that, eye surgery was done the old fashioned way, with knives.

Compared with the history of mankind, 50 years is a short period of time. Many things such as agricultural techniques, the wheel remain the same for thousands of years.

I have a few more questions:

1) Do you believe that statement 'innovations occur due to the needs of people, and that the greater the need the faster the innovation?'

2) and if the above statement holds some form of truth, do you think currently in the world, the rate of innovation and development of new inventions is slowing down?

Sure new items and gadgets are appearing frequently, but most of them are just making existing technology/science more efficient and miniturized. Is there any new innovation within the past decade which can be considered revolutionary new? (a revolutionary innovation on the scale similar to the invention of the wheel for mankind, the first manned flight, the first personal computer, the Internet/WWW, some radical innovation/invention which drastically changed our lives?)

Pants!

Hasn't changed in millenia.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    toilet paper.
    Well, it has evolved from Ye Olde Farmyers Almanack nailed to the post into triple-ply ultra soft.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!