View Poll Results: Your Preference In Level of Wuxia Feats

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Outlandish! Wuxia characters should be like superheroes or gods!

4 15.38%
  • Keep it real. They should be awesome, but not STUPIDLY powerful.

22 84.62%

Thread: Feats of Martial Arts in Wuxia Fiction: Your Preference

Default Feats of Martial Arts in Wuxia Fiction: Your Preference

In wuxia fiction, do you prefer outlandish, over-the-top, nigh impossible feats of martial prowess (i.e. destroying the universe, walking on the ocean floor, jumping across the ocean, altering time-space, etc.), or do you prefer awesome, but still somewhat believable feats (i.e. one man being able to fight two hundred men, able to cleave down a large tree with a single sword stroke, knocking down dozens of strong men with a single palm, etc.)?

Of course the second choice.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Of course the second choice.
    But of course, as our recent discussions have brought to life, Gu Long and even Jin Yong are not beyond going to the well with Option 1, ESPECIALLY Gu Long.

A bit exaggerated, Ken (you do have a bit of a tendency to exagerrate things when you're trying to make a point, buddy ).

We've been through the jumping over the ocean thing, and nowhere do I recall anyone said to be able to destroy the universe.

With regards to walking on the ocean floor, that's not too implausible; after all, Yang Guo trained against the waves of the ocean, and comparatively speaking, there are less currents and force at the bottom, which is relatively still, as opposed to the crashing waves up top. Modern day people can do it, so long as it isn't a ridiculous depth (hundreds of feet) and so long as they have a supply of oxygen. For wuxia fighters, I would imagine it's just a matter of holding their breath, as it was with Yang Guo when he trained with the heavy iron sword underneath the (waterfall?).

The freeze of space/time thing, I'll give you.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 09-06-07 at 01:50 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

The second choice.

I am more fond of Jin Yong's martial arts descriptions. No matter how impressive the task, even if it's not that great of an accomplishment, Jin Yong makes it exciting. He frequently uses a format similar to this:

[The task at hand is so difficult to perform, and yet this character is able to do so without the slightest hindrance. His martial arts has reached the state of unimaginable divinity]

Example 1: 只见一人伸出三根手指钓在石上,身子却是凌空。杨过见他以三指之力支持全身,凭临万仞深谷,武功之高,实是 到了不可思议的地步

Example 2: 东方不败手中这枚绣花针长不逾寸,几乎是风吹得起,落水不沉,竟能拨得令狐冲的长剑直荡了开去,武功之高, 当真不可思议。

On the other hand, Gu Long's descriptions don't work well for me. I always found his martial arts descriptions to be a bit lame, falling short of Jin Yong's perfection. Even when he asserts that someone is so strong, his sword engulfs the world in its darkness, I did not feel very excited to read that kind of description.

By the way, walking out of the bottom of ocean to the surface is not that unbelievable compared to people in Jin Yong universe who have been known to:

-reverse age (Everywhere I Reign Supremely kung fu),

-transmit voice across a distance of several Chinese miles with next-to-you closeness (Thousand Li Voice Transmission),

-throw objects across a range of 3+ Chinese miles (SWORD GOD), and

-intercept tens of thousands of flying projectiles with a single sword stroke (Dugu 9 Swords).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think one of the reasons that we don't notice much of Jinyong's more 'outlandish' claims is because he makes them so matter of factly. Like with the claim

“The eighth stance of the Dugu Nine Sword, ‘Missile-breaking Stance,’ can counter all types of projectiles and darts. Even if the enemy has shot thousands of arrows at me, or dozens of people shooting many kinds of projectiles and darts at me, I would be able to knock all of them down using this one stance.”
    It's just in a very matter of fact tone, so we just accept it without going, "Waaaait a minute." It's not very eye-catching.

Gulong, on the other hand, would make a huge deal out of it, with literally thousands of arrows shooting at LHC, and him actually blocking them with one stance (probably without even him moving!), and all the spectators staring with awe, which naturally attracts more attention (as it is meant to), which also attracts more 'wtf?' thoughts as well.

I prefer feats that are "lower" than both of the choices. I like feats that completely obey the laws of the natural sciences e.g. no LDAs, no flying nonstop, no paralyzing people by sealing their accupoints, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I prefer feats that are "lower" than both of the choices. I like feats that completely obey the laws of the natural sciences e.g. no LDAs, no flying nonstop, no paralyzing people by sealing their accupoints, etc.
    Without these elements, however, we don't really have wuxia martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    You'll just have people punching and kicking around. That doesn't sound very interesting, does it?

i voted before i read the description (as i usually do on SPCNET polls, unfortunately)...

i thought the option 2 events WERE the superhero feats. cmon, cleave a tree with one stroke? knock down dozens of men with one move? anyone else think that this is within the realm of human achievement?

as far as taking on a crowd of men, i've seen aikido in action and i know it can be done. but there's no way you could do that with a palm move. i've always loved wuxia because it had crazy stuff like HL18Z, man...and now my vote for option 1 will be lonely as a result.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

In the JinYongverse, even 1337 fighters can jump no more than 15 meters vertically AND horizontally (weird, you'd expect them to jump further in length). Accupoint sealing is a VERY advanced martial art and is very difficult. Only a small fraction of wulin fighters (students of respectably powerful sects) were taught. As for LDAs, I really prefer contact attacks. I never understood how EXACTLY LDAs work and possibly never will.

Realistic with a bit of superheroish, I still want to relate to reality.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Accupoint sealing is a VERY advanced martial art and is very difficult.
    Is it? It seems like such a ubiquitous skill in Jin Yong wuxia. Even mediocrites such as the Mo Brothers from ROCH were able to do it (but the Mo Brothers were 1 Yeung Finger-trained, of course).

Is it? It seems like such a ubiquitous skill in Jin Yong wuxia. Even mediocrites such as the Mo Brothers from ROCH were able to do it (but the Mo Brothers were 1 Yeung Finger-trained, of course).
    Actually, in XAJH, it is classified as a low-class martial arts.

ZBT said so.

Although fairly stupid, the Mo brothers weren't weak in wulin. Mu Nianci, after receiving three days of tutelage from H7G, was able to defeat ALL of her suitors. The Mo brothers, brought up by two of the best martial artists of their time, musn't have been that bad. In the lei tai match towards the end of ROCH, they were able to defeat many challengers before being defeated.

ZBT said so.

Although fairly stupid, the Mo brothers weren't weak in wulin. Mu Nianci, after receiving three days of tutelage from H7G, was able to defeat ALL of her suitors. The Mo brothers, brought up by two of the best martial artists of their time, musn't have been that bad. In the lei tai match towards the end of ROCH, they were able to defeat many challengers before being defeated.
    The Wu's can beat every low level martial artist, the average fighter that knows a bit. They showed that on the Beggar Clan thing, and was only defeated after fighting for about half a day each.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情