Thread: To what extent (if any) was Cheung 3 Fung inspired by Wong Chung Yeung?

Default To what extent (if any) was Cheung 3 Fung inspired by Wong Chung Yeung?

Cheung Gwun Bo was a Buddhist early in his life, but after leaving the Shaolin Temple, he converted to Taoism. The religious/martial arts school he founded, the Mo Dong Sect, bears some parallels to the Cheun Jen Sect that dominated wulin a generation or two earlier. Like the late Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung, Cheung 3 Fung was acknowledged as *the* paramount Taoist sage and martial artist of his time. Also like Wong Chung Yeung, Cheung 3 Fung organized his sect with seven senior disciples. Were Wong Chung Yeung's life and martial arts were influenced by the 9 Yum Jen Ging, Cheung 3 Fung's were influenced by the 9 Yeung Jen Ging? Both even founded their Taoist schools after abortive relationships with gifted young women (i.e. Lam Chiu Ying and Gwok Seung).

Was Cheung 3 Fung an admirer of Wong Chung Yeung's? Did he consciously (or perhaps subconsciously) pattern himself after the earlier Taoist sage and wulin master?

I am not even sure if Zhang Junbao knew Wang Chongyang existed in his earlier years. I don't think Jueyuan knew about the Greats so he wouldn't have taught Zhang.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I am not even sure if Zhang Junbao knew Wang Chongyang existed in his earlier years. I don't think Jueyuan knew about the Greats so he wouldn't have taught Zhang.
    Cheung Gwun Bo might not have, but it's hard to imagine that by the time he became an adult, Cheung 3 Fung knew nothing of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Cheung Gwun Bo might not have, but it's hard to imagine that by the time he became an adult, Cheung 3 Fung knew nothing of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung.
    Zhang Junbao went into seclusion very early, he was just a teenager on his way to look for Guo Jing when he aborted the idea and went to be a hermit instead.

By the time Zhang Junbao left his long seclusion in the cave and became Zhang Sanfeng, he had already set his direction in life. It would be a bit late to learn about Wang Chongyang and be inspired by him at that point.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Historically, yes. ZSF practiced WCY's internal alchemy system of Daoism.

In the books, WCY's internal martial arts adhere closely to 9 Ying Zhen Jing while ZSF's internal martial arts is an extrapolation of 9 Yang Shen Gong.

Edit: In a way, having the drinking contest that WCY lost to the Unnamed Monk is Jin Yong's way of connecting HSDS and ZSF and ZWJ to WCY.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 09-10-07 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Zhang Junbao went into seclusion very early, he was just a teenager on his way to look for Guo Jing when he aborted the idea and went to be a hermit instead.

By the time Zhang Junbao left his long seclusion in the cave and became Zhang Sanfeng, he had already set his direction in life. It would be a bit late to learn about Wang Chongyang and be inspired by him at that point.
    After adopting Taoism, though, Cheung 3 Fung must have, at some point in his life, been curious what Taoist masters of the past had to say about any number of disciplines. I wonder if Cheung might have sought out the writings of Wong Chung Yeung or Yau Chui Gei...not necessarily on martial arts, but on matters related to Taoist thought.

He didn't have to seek it out. Since the Yuan Dynasty, Quanzhen has been one of the most influential Daoist temples.

http://www.stanford.edu/~pregadio/eot/eot_quanzhen.html
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 04-09-08 at 01:22 PM.

I could be wrong, but I think in the Jin Yong universe, Quanzhen Sect pretty much disappeared after ROCH.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think in the Jin Yong universe, Quanzhen Sect pretty much disappeared after ROCH.
    It disappeared as an important force in wulin, but I think it lived on as a school of Taoism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It disappeared as an important force in wulin, but I think it lived on as a school of Taoism.
    Who knows if Z3F is actually inspired by Huashan, since pannonian mentioned that Huashan was founded by Hao Datong. I think it stands more chance for Z3F to bump into Hao Datong and learnt about taoism.

Z3F could have developed his own school of Taoist thought via his own observations of nature (Tao).