Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GeForce 8800 GTX, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 ghz)

Default GeForce 8800 GTX, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 ghz)

Any of you have personal experience with the above video card and CPU?

I just dropped a couple g's on a new system (first time I bought a top of the liner) because I've been hearing some absolute rave reviews about the GTX in particular, and a lot of good stuff, esp. w/regard to OC'ing, for the Q6600 as well.

Thoughts, experiences?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Any of you have personal experience with the above video card and CPU?

I just dropped a couple g's on a new system (first time I bought a top of the liner) because I've been hearing some absolute rave reviews about the GTX in particular, and a lot of good stuff, esp. w/regard to OC'ing, for the Q6600 as well.

Thoughts, experiences?
    I heard that Intel's quad core processors aren't very well suited for gaming because games can't utilize the full capability of all four cores.

As for the GTX, I'm getting one for my 14th birthday in about a month. Hopefully, it lives up to its name.

I am currently running 2 x EVGA 8800 GTX in SLI mode on my system. My advise is to not use fans for your cooling. You need to use water cooling.

I play C&C or MOH and these 8800 GTX get about 85 C to 90 C degree. That's when I used the default fans. Now, I changed them to Koolance water cooling, they are running at 65 C and 55 C at idle.

Nvidia supports said that high temperature for these GTX are normal. But running your hardware at high temperature will shorten the life. Granted that EVGA offers lifetime warranty for these GTX, however how long would you wait for the RMA?

The downside is that I have to disable SLI for my daily usage since I am using 4 LCD's. SLI does not support for multiple displays yet.
    Last edited by vindikattor; 09-13-07 at 01:36 AM.
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post
    I am currently running 2 x EVGA 8800 GTX in SLI mode on my system. My advise is to not use fans for your cooling. You need to use water cooling.

I play C&C or MOH and these 8800 GTX get about 85 C to 90 C degree. That's when I used the default fans. Now, I changed them to Koolance water cooling, they are running at 65 C and 55 C at idle.

Nvidia supports said that high temperature for these GTX are normal. But running your hardware at high temperature will shorten the life. Granted that EVGA offers lifetime warranty for these GTX, however how long would you wait for the RMA?

The downside is that I have to disable SLI for my daily usage since I am using 4 LCD's. SLI does not support for multiple displays yet.
    Wanna play me in C&C?I just bought it and am not very good, especially during the late game.

Hrm, interesting. I'm only running one though, so it shouldn't use up as much energy/create as much heat as yours. The cooling system that should come with mine will be the Arctic Cooling heat-sink+fan, Freezer 7 Pro model.

Water cooling will pretty much push the cost to a level I don't feel comfortable absorbing at the present time. If I upgrade to dual GTX, I might consider it.

Hrm, interesting. I'm only running one though, so it shouldn't use up as much energy/create as much heat as yours. The cooling system that should come with mine will be the Arctic Cooling heat-sink+fan, Freezer 7 Pro model.

Water cooling will pretty much push the cost to a level I don't feel comfortable absorbing at the present time. If I upgrade to dual GTX, I might consider it.
    I am assuming that you won't be using this 8800 GTX for gaming. So, it should be fine I supposed.

Check this person who was running air cooling for his 8800 GTS and his system crashed for overheat after 20 minutes gaming.

http://www.water-cooling.com/forum/i...p?topic=4546.0

I used CoolerMaster Stacker for my PC case with 7 x 120 MM fans so although my 8800 GTX were at the max 90 C, but my system temperature was still at normal 45 C.

You would know soon how much heat these 8800 will generate even with only one...
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

I am assuming that you won't be using this 8800 GTX for gaming. So, it should be fine I supposed.

Check this person who was running air cooling for his 8800 GTS and his system crashed for overheat after 20 minutes gaming.

http://www.water-cooling.com/forum/i...p?topic=4546.0

I used CoolerMaster Stacker for my PC case with 7 x 120 MM fans so although my 8800 GTX were at the max 90 C, but my system temperature was still at normal 45 C.

You would know soon how much heat these 8800 will generate even with only one...
    I don't think anyone purchases an 8800 GTX without intending to game. And truth be told, one is enough to run all games on high/medium high equality. I would say people using liquid cooling for a single 8800 GTX are by far in the minority. The link you gave seemed to be more indicative of a problem with an individual card, than an example of how the card is on the whole.

~70 does appear to be standard at idle, with load being around 80-90. With regards to high temperature, it really is relative. It isn't about how high the temperature is, it's about how much temperature the part is designed to accomodate. A chip that runs at 100C+ would be perfectly fine if (somehow) it was designed to run at 150C.

I do appreciate your advice though

If you're planning to buy nvidia's top of the line video card this xmas, don't buy it! the new 99xx series will be released in Feb next year.

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    If you're planning to buy nvidia's top of the line video card this xmas, don't buy it! the new 99xx series will be released in Feb next year.
    Yeah, the 8800s will drop in price steeply after the 9's come out.

As an FYI, the machine is working perfectly well and I've played everything on absolute max settings on my SyncMaster 226BW.

8800 GT is actually a pretty damn good value card right now, though.

As an FYI, the machine is working perfectly well and I've played everything on absolute max settings on my SyncMaster 226BW.

8800 GT is actually a pretty damn good value card right now, though.
    have you tried Crysis? that game will really strain your 8800GTX at max setting

Nah, don't like shooters that much. Honestly, after seeing the graphics, which admittedly are good, then at the figures which people are pulling with top-of-the-line rigs, my opinion is that Crysis, as a game, simply is not optimized, code-wise.

I firmly believe that by the time people have rigs which are capable of playing Crysis at max settings perfectly, other games will be out where the graphics are even better.

In a word, I think Crysis is overhyped

Nah, don't like shooters that much. Honestly, after seeing the graphics, which admittedly are good, then at the figures which people are pulling with top-of-the-line rigs, my opinion is that Crysis, as a game, simply is not optimized, code-wise.

I firmly believe that by the time people have rigs which are capable of playing Crysis at max settings perfectly, other games will be out where the graphics are even better.

In a word, I think Crysis is overhyped
    Crysis is the first DirectX 10 game. Naturally the developers will need to get familiar with the new framework before they can optimise the codes. And as more games are programmed for DX10, of course the graphics and performance will improve. It's like new consoles when they are released. The games don't utilise the full potential of the console until towards mid to end of the console's lifecycle.

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    Crysis is the first DirectX 10 game. Naturally the developers will need to get familiar with the new framework before they can optimise the codes. And as more games are programmed for DX10, of course the graphics and performance will improve. It's like new consoles when they are released. The games don't utilise the full potential of the console until towards mid to end of the console's lifecycle.
    Yup, I agree. Perhaps I should be more fair to the developers of Crysis.

That being said, I still think it's under-optimized and over-hyped

That being said, I still think it's under-optimized and over-hyped
    LOL hype sells games and other things

No one argued that. That being said, it's still under-optimized and over-hyped.

No one argued that. That being said, it's still under-optimized and over-hyped.
    It maybe over-hyped, but when you compare quality and gameplay - Crysis is still better than 90% of games out there. IMO, Call of Duty4 kick ***, but because it has less hype than Crysis, the general gaming public prefers Crysis.

Which doesn't change the fact that it's under-optimized.

Which doesn't change the fact that it's under-optimized.

The game was rushed out the door for the holiday season. It will come as no surprise if a patch is released with optimised code

Shouldn't you be championing this game? After all, the marketing of the 8800GTX is that its DX10 compliant video card

Stiiiiiill under-optimized!

And nah, like I said, I'm not a huge fan of shooters