Thread: DOA:Dead or Alive

Default DOA:Dead or Alive

As a major fan of the game, I saw this movie and I understood why it flopped at the box office. My expectations for the movie was a bit higher, but I understand the fact that these kinds of fighting games are hard to put into a film.

For one thing, the fight scenes doesn't compare to many of the movies I watched. I saw Dragon Tiger Gate a few days ago and it was definitely 100 times better than this movie. Second of all, I have a problem with the character of Ryu Hayabusa in the film. My favorite fighter in the game is Ryu Hayabusa, but in the film, they got Kane Kosugi to play him, who is much shorter and skinner than what I thought of Ryu. Thirdly, while I don't mind Devon Aoki, her expression remained the same throughout the movie. All of the characters were more like wood and stone than flesh and bones.

While the movie had some serious flaws, I do appreciate the effort and attempt at an adaption. However, I think this would have worked much better if it remained CGI animated.

Also, I heard that they are planning to do a film on Soul Calibur, but I am not putting up any high hopes for a successful film.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

i didnt lke it at all. Okay sure the gurls there were hot but besides that is was quiet ordinary.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Haven't seen it yet but I find that it is odd how Ayane is portrayed by a Caucasian actress with her hair dyed purple while Ngai Sing (Collin Chou) is too old for the role of Hayate.

Here is a not so well known fact about DoA the game. Sure everyone knows how good the game is, but in the developer community it's famous for another reason. In one of the 3D cinematic sequences, the programmers were able to create what developers of the day considered realistic human muscle/flesh movement. (How the female breasts shook/jiggled/moved, whatever term you use to describe it.)

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    Here is a not so well known fact about DoA the game. Sure everyone knows how good the game is, but in the developer community it's famous for another reason. In one of the 3D cinematic sequences, the programmers were able to create what developers of the day considered realistic human muscle/flesh movement. (How the female breasts shook/jiggled/moved, whatever term you use to describe it.)
    the term jiggle sounds better ^o^
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

hmm i think the term they actually used was: bounced

Just finished it last night, it was an overall good movie, the dialog needs work
    . The girls are hot, I was wondering the same thing, "Ayane is portrayed by a Caucasian actress with her hair dyed purple while Ngai Sing (Collin Chou) is too old for the role of Hayate."

Most videogames turning into a movie does not get good reviews.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

true true

Street Fighter the movie i liked, but it got bad reviews too. i understand why but still.

i like DOA even though i thought it was a crappy film. at least it was visually really bright and colourful.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Street fighter videogame was very enjoyable; as for the movie, its ok.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    yay, this is so TRUE, I already try, DOA4 on XboX 360, lol, I love those videos which give background to the characters, so sexy and voluptous and jiggle , j/k

the best characters is the female with the mexican? mask. She is sure jiggle a lot and do lots of acrobatic movement with her superb kicking leg

Can't wait what they will do with the human physique in DOA5, probably coming out this year or early next year

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    As a major fan of the game, I saw this movie and I understood why it flopped at the box office. My expectations for the movie was a bit higher, but I understand the fact that these kinds of fighting games are hard to put into a film.

For one thing, the fight scenes doesn't compare to many of the movies I watched. I saw Dragon Tiger Gate a few days ago and it was definitely 100 times better than this movie. Second of all, I have a problem with the character of Ryu Hayabusa in the film. My favorite fighter in the game is Ryu Hayabusa, but in the film, they got Kane Kosugi to play him, who is much shorter and skinner than what I thought of Ryu. Thirdly, while I don't mind Devon Aoki, her expression remained the same throughout the movie. All of the characters were more like wood and stone than flesh and bones.

While the movie had some serious flaws, I do appreciate the effort and attempt at an adaption. However, I think this would have worked much better if it remained CGI animated.

Also, I heard that they are planning to do a film on Soul Calibur, but I am not putting up any high hopes for a successful film.

Actually, the primary reason the movie flopped was that the producers didn't advertise the movie like at all. (My theory is that they felt regretful producing the horrible movie and didn't want to invest any more money into it)

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

but I am not putting up any high hopes for a successful film.
    Common, what hopes that you're gonna hoping with a video-games movie. Video games movie is mindless entertainment, there is no hope whatsover and no need to read what the review says. The reviewer only like talky picture or art movie or gay movie like what Ang Lee have done.

For video games movie, before entering cinema, left your brain at the door and enjoy the ride, that's what I do with all resident evil movies and other similar movies. I know its going to have stupid dialog and ridiculous plot, who cares its only a movies. However watching Milla Jovovich kicking *** or using telekinesis to kill thousands of ravens, or watching holly valance fight wet in the rain, well its priceless and worth the price of the admission

You're not going to be intelligent by reviewing a video games movies, in fact you're gonna look retarded, I mean what do you expect, a David Mamet dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini T-Mac View Post
    i didnt lke it at all. Okay sure the gurls there were hot but besides that is was quiet ordinary.
    LOL! I didn't even know a DOA movie existed. I'm saving my review for later after I watched it. I don't expect it to be good anyway, the game itself is mediocre compared to great 3d games like Tekken and Soul Calibur. Don't get me wrong, I loved DOA 3 but I don't own a 360 so no DOA 4 for me.

EDIT: I finished watching it and I can't describe the disappointment this movie made me feel. Where's the DOA feel? The problem these guys have is they think video games are for children, they clearly don't have any idea how to make a movie adaptation look good. Game creators should just make a whole CGI movie instead of this failure.
    Last edited by Bangs; 10-02-07 at 07:48 AM.