Thread: Full or Wide screen? What's your preference?

Default Full or Wide screen? What's your preference?

To watch movies on DVD, what's your preference: full screen or widescreen? Why is one better than the other?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Full screen. Widescreen works well if you're in a cinema or own a huge TV, but my little 16-inch deal only makes the picture look that much smaller on widescreen.

full screen
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Widescreen, because of my 22 inch 226BW Samsung flatscreen computer monitor IS a widescreen monitor...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Wide screen. I watched a program recently on how movies are reduced for full screen - there's a technical term that I can't remember. It showed wide-screen clips from Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia with the full screen frame overtop and how the editor moved it around to capture the best parts. It was interesting to see how much of the picture is cut off for the full screen version.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

i love WS more than FS....but too bad most of my TV are FS...

full screen cos i think widescreen stretches the things out.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

full screen.....but i like wide screen too so....

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    To watch movies on DVD, what's your preference: full screen or widescreen? Why is one better than the other?
    Widescreen. As John mentions, movies edited for fullscreen are missing viewable areas. And one can watch a widescreen dvd fine on a regular tv granted your tv is an ok size. You'll just have that black area on top and bottum.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    no it doesn't babe.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Widescreen is better since I do own a widescreen HDTV and theatrical movies are shot in widescreen. Fullscreen takes out a bit of the image.

WIDESCREEN for me. All films are shot in WIDESCREEN. However, in order to fit it for TV, it is edited for FULLSCREEN.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

You don't say it fullscreen, its 4:3, if you have a 16:9 tv you also have a fullscreen for widescreen get it . You were saying it fullscreen because most tv are 4:3, to show movies in 16:9 resolution they need to crop a little at both left and right side to make it a 4:3 for 4:3 tv.

However if widescreen need to be retained (no cropping) then a technique called pan and scan is apply, to show the movie in its original 16:9 resolution in a 4:3 tv. This technique you will see black rectangle at the bottom and top of the movie. So if you have a samller tv like Ken's tv, then the pan and scan movie will look even smaller. However most DVD can do zoom where you can do 4:3 resolution manually.

So yeh, 4:3 sucks actually because you loose some of the things that the directors intended for you to see in its panoramic view.

This is happen when viewing a 4:3 show (mostly tv show) in a widescreen tv. However nowadays there are no more movies produce in 4:3 resulution. However there are widescreen tv than can be adjust to show a 4:3 show to avoid stretching, so this you will see the black rectangle at the left and right side instead of top and bottom side of the tv.

In Japan and the US, several tv show already shown in HD (even anime like the new Gundam 00) means in 16:9 widescreen resolution, so yeh, 4:3 tv is not suitable anymore to be used
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 10-24-07 at 12:44 AM.

Senorita Liza Wang, Ud es MUY bonita para su edad. Besame.

Widescreen because it's pretty ace on my 66 inch plasma tv.
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

Original aspect ratio as much as possible for me. I sometime stretch 4:3 content to fit my 16:9 screen when I watch for a long period of time to avoid burn-in since I have a rear-projection CTR, but in general I keep it in its OAR.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Set up your DVD player's display parameter properly according your screen and widescreen content won't be stretched.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Rule of thumb is to watch EVERYTHING in its original aspect ratio no matter if you have a widescreen TV or an old tube TV. I will watch fullscreen for TVB stuff since it was all shot in fullscreen. Movies that are shot in widescree should be watched that way. I use to watch widescreen on my tube with the black bars and it didn't bother e as I knew I'm actually seeing more. Now that I have a new HDTV, it's even better as I can finally take advantage of anamorphic widescreen movies. What happens when I watch TVB stuff now? I get black bars on the side, which is fine with me.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.