Thread: i want to get a job as a software engineer

Red face i want to get a job as a software engineer

who can help me ?
    i am a postgraduate of China University of Petroleum,

I have taken three software programs in the last 4 years,

and now i want to get a job as a software engineer.

Unfortunately, i have been refused by the adobe and microsoft.

can anyone help me find a job or give me some advise about job?

my English is just so so ,i help you can understand what i say.

i hope someone guide me ....

my msn is [email protected]

thank you ~
    Last edited by upc_boy; 11-15-07 at 08:05 AM.

Do you know anything about algorithm analysis and design, such as the difference between a O(log(n)) and O(n^2) algorithm?

Do you have any knowlege into relationtial database design, inner and outer joins, table indexes, primary and foreign keys?

Do you know the basics of objective and functional programming, such as re-usable objects and recursive processes that are efficient?

Do you know anything about the *NIX operating systems and the tools they have to offer?

Do you know how to use regular expressions, and write simple parsing routines?

Do you have any knowlege into network protocols such as FTP, TCIP, SSH, UDP, etc. and could you write something to utilize one or all of them?

If you can comprehensively answer those questions then I think you will have no problem becoming a software engineer. The fundamentals of Software Engineering ride on these concepts.

If you only took three classes for "programming" then I would suggest that you do not try. Software Engineering is much deeper than knowing a "programming language."

Good Luck
    Last edited by Grundle; 11-15-07 at 07:09 PM.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Are you seeking some sort of work visa sponsorship or are you current authorized to work where you are at? If you're already authorized then you may be able to find some entry level positions. No one really sponsors entry level programmers these days.

What do you mean by three "programs"? Do you mean some sort of class or a professional certificate? Paper certifications alone are not worth much these days.

It's very difficult to find a software engineering position without a computer science-related degree or several years of relavent experience. Poeple without such backgrounds usual start as quality assurance or technical support people before transitioning into software development.

I have a B.A. in C.S. and a M.S. in C.S., and I've been working as a software engineer for 8 years. The company that I currently work for has mid level position open for software engineers. Here is a cut and paste of the qualifications for a developer II position:

QUALIFICATIONS:
    Computer Science, Information Technology, or related degree.

At least 2 Years of Programming experience.

Strong database skills are of highest importance. Knowledge of database design, normalization, queries, stored procedures, and data imports/exports/transformation (DTS/BCP/etc) is necessary, as well as experience with user-interface design, either in C#, VB.net, or VB6. ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES WITH THESE 2 STRONG SKILL SETS CAN BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    Do you know anything about algorithm analysis and design, such as the difference between a O(log(n)) and O(n^2) algorithm?

Do you have any knowlege into relationtial database design, inner and outer joins, table indexes, primary and foreign keys?

Do you know the basics of objective and functional programming, such as re-usable objects and recursive processes that are efficient?

Do you know anything about the *NIX operating systems and the tools they have to offer?

Do you know how to use regular expressions, and write simple parsing routines?

Do you have any knowlege into network protocols such as FTP, TCIP, SSH, UDP, etc. and could you write something to utilize one or all of them?

If you can comprehensively answer those questions then I think you will have no problem becoming a software engineer. The fundamentals of Software Engineering ride on these concepts.

If you only took three classes for "programming" then I would suggest that you do not try. Software Engineering is much deeper than knowing a "programming language."

Good Luck
    3q
    i think i can master most of what you talk about

i'll try my best to find a good job to display my value

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Are you seeking some sort of work visa sponsorship or are you current authorized to work where you are at? If you're already authorized then you may be able to find some entry level positions. No one really sponsors entry level programmers these days.

What do you mean by three "programs"? Do you mean some sort of class or a professional certificate? Paper certifications alone are not worth much these days.

It's very difficult to find a software engineering position without a computer science-related degree or several years of relavent experience. Poeple without such backgrounds usual start as quality assurance or technical support people before transitioning into software development.

I have a B.A. in C.S. and a M.S. in C.S., and I've been working as a software engineer for 8 years. The company that I currently work for has mid level position open for software engineers. Here is a cut and paste of the qualifications for a developer II position:

QUALIFICATIONS:
    Computer Science, Information Technology, or related degree.

At least 2 Years of Programming experience.

Strong database skills are of highest importance. Knowledge of database design, normalization, queries, stored procedures, and data imports/exports/transformation (DTS/BCP/etc) is necessary, as well as experience with user-interface design, either in C#, VB.net, or VB6. ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES WITH THESE 2 STRONG SKILL SETS CAN BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
    3q
    3 programs mean 3 software projects,two are webform ,one is winform
    i think i fit the position to some exten~mainly fit?
    i use c# and mssql/oracle
    Unfortunately, my major is not c.s. or i.t.,engineering mechanics.
    would you contact me with msn
    [email protected] 3q again~