Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best book you've read this year?

Well, books read so far in '08...Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby...out of those two, i think i enjoyed Wuthering Heights more.

I read more books last year since i started catching the train to work (doing my bit to reduce carbon emissions...or something like that)....The Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn were excellent....oh, and i'm also a Harry Potter-phile.
    There is always room to smile everyday. Alternatively, you can laugh yourself silly once a week.

I can't choose between "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (overall it was a good book, but I didn't like the ending) and "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides (also a good book, not sure if everyone would like it though because there's incest and the protagonist is a hermaphrodite).
    "Those who strive for perfection only end up with tears."

I have read many books recently .
    The best is "Crystal Water of Tamir". If It had been in English, then I would have recommended it.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

^ Unlike you I haven't read many books recently. And I don't really consider textbooks to be books. Books should attempt to be enjoyable, unlike textbooks, which don't even try at all, though I do admit that sleep can be rather enjoyable.

Anyway, I absolutely adored The Space Merchants the most out of all the books I've read this year. It's such a witty satire that really gets its point across.

I started to pick up reading again this yr because where I work we have a lot of downtime. So to kill time I read, someone recommended to me to read James Patterson novels. I've read his first book called "The Quickie" and I liked it very much. It's a page turner actually all his books I've read so far are page turner.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

I've read quite a few books recently so it's a little difficult to choose but I'd have to say...Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. Every page in this book is so alive with senses! I could really see the transitional period from one generation to the next; from the warlord era to the cultural revolution. It's simply amazing. At one point, I cried reading the hardship of the Chinese people. I also felt bravery in them. The unity of the people as well. Although it's not a history book, it gives an insight, a quick one, into the history of China.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    ^ Unlike you I haven't read many books recently. And I don't really consider textbooks to be books. Books should attempt to be enjoyable, unlike textbooks, which don't even try at all, though I do admit that sleep can be rather enjoyable.
    Ditto to that.

But, I've got to say 'The Stone Key' by Isobelle Carmody has crashed the rocks for me this year. 10 years in the waiting since the the last book in the series...that's dedication!

the year's not yet over yet, but to date:

fiction: feed, mt anderson
    non-fiction: the history of the world in 6 glasses, tom standage
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

"The Hidden Flower" by Pearl Buck.

I have a short-term memory and I can't remember half the books I've read. And I've actually read a lot for leisure this summer, but not many during the year.