Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good, free, downloadable MP3 editing software?

Default Recommend a good, free, downloadable MP3 editing software?

Could someone please recommend a good, free, downloadable MP3 editing software? I need something that can help me shave off the ending few seconds of a song.

Thanks.

Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Could someone please recommend a good, free, downloadable MP3 editing software? I need something that can help me shave off the ending few seconds of a song.

Thanks.
    The one that almost everyone used for the SPCNET IDOL contest, Audacity! http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    ummmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    ummmmm...
    I lub u 2 baby.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

I've tried a number of them and have to agree that Audacity is the best by far. It's free and quite user-friendly.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Got it. Using it, but having some problems still.

Here's what I want to do:

There's a song by the Beatles called "A Day in the Life." The running time of the track is 5:34, but I want to shave off the last 30 seconds of the track (because it's nonmusical and frankly creepy).

I've gotten as far as doing the edit using Audacity, creating and exporting a new MP3 file that I named "A Day in the Life Edit."

When I try to add it to the Winamp library, however, I keep on getting the full 5:34 version...not the 5:03 version that I edited.

What am I doing wrong?

Got it. Using it, but having some problems still.

Here's what I want to do:

There's a song by the Beatles called "A Day in the Life." The running time of the track is 5:34, but I want to shave off the last 30 seconds of the track (because it's nonmusical and frankly creepy).

I've gotten as far as doing the edit using Audacity, creating and exporting a new MP3 file that I named "A Day in the Life Edit."

When I try to add it to the Winamp library, however, I keep on getting the full 5:34 version...not the 5:03 version that I edited.

What am I doing wrong?

Delete the original 5:34 version from your computer. See if that works.
    Oh, you also downloaded another file from that site for saving your files as an MP3, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Delete the original 5:34 version from your computer. See if that works.
    Oh, you also downloaded another file from that site for saving your files as an MP3, right?
    Yes.

Going to try different things. See what works.

Winamp brings the edited version over, but instead of one MP3 file, it breaks it up into 114 0:05 second parts.

And, the final 31 seconds that I don't want are found in some of those 0:05 second parts.

"Sigh."

Winamp brings the edited version over, but instead of one MP3 file, it breaks it up into 114 0:05 second parts.

And, the final 31 seconds that I don't want are found in some of those 0:05 second parts.

"Sigh."
    Go to www.download.com and type in the search field VLC download the first one VLC player that comes up.

VLC plays everything.

OK. Got it to work. Thanks. Silly me. I forgot to do the scissors cut.

Now I have a different, but related question. "A Day in the Life" fades in from the previous song on that album, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band Reprise." There is no gap between the two songs...the latter flows into the former. With the edited "A Day in the Life," however, there is a brief (less than one second) gap between the two tracks now. What can I do to eliminate that gap and make them flow together?

Now I have a different, but related question. "A Day in the Life" fades in from the previous song on that album, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band Reprise." There is no gap between the two songs...the latter flows into the former. With the edited "A Day in the Life," however, there is a brief (less than one second) gap between the two tracks now. What can I do to eliminate that gap and make them flow together?
    Find the break in the audio track, hilight it and cut it out. You may have to try if a few times to get it right. Zooming in helps to get it exactly right.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

OK. Got it to work. Thanks. Silly me. I forgot to do the scissors cut.
    And I thought I was bad at this computer thing.

What John-e said, zoom in, highlight, and cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Find the break in the audio track, hilight it and cut it out. You may have to try if a few times to get it right. Zooming in helps to get it exactly right.
    I got it closer (although it wasn't through zooming in, I think, because all I did was look at it). The problem now is at the beginning of "A Day in the Life" (I already took care of the 31 seconds I didn't want at the end; that was removed beautifully with Audacity). In the original, unedited 5:34 track of "A Day in the Life," the beginning of the song synched up perfectly with the end of the previous track, "Sgt. Pepper's...Reprise." After editing the end of "A Day in the Life," however, and putting it back onto the playlist, there's just this very brief gap. It comes in on the correct note, but with a 1/10 second (estimate) delay where there was no delay before.

Is this just something that's inevitable with an edited track (although I don't know why; the editing happened at the other end of the track, 5:00 minutes later)?

After editing the end of "A Day in the Life," however, and putting it back onto the playlist, there's just this very brief gap. It comes in on the write note, but with a 1/10 second (estimate) delay where there was no delay before.

Is this just something that's inevitable with an edited track (although I don't know why; the editing happened at the other end of the track, 5:00 minutes later).
    It might be something audacity does during the import or export. Try bringing it back in and editing it out. If it's done during export, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

I probably shouldn't ask, but is a 1/10th second delay really noticeable? I know you're a true Beatles fan, so you want it just right.
    john-e

Ok..from what I gather, in the original track, one song fades into the other.(mixed) So in other words they are like one continuous track?

Since you seperated the track to edit, it is no longer synced with the first as in the original?

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    It might be something audacity does during the import or export. Try bringing it back in and editing it out. If it's done during export, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

I probably shouldn't ask, but is a 1/10th second delay really noticeable? I know you're a true Beatles fan, so you want it just right.
    Yeah, especially on SGT. PEPPER. I'm an audiophile and want things perfect.

But I'm not sure it can be done. The only way that the gap could be eliminated was to bring back the original 5:34 track, but I really don't want those final :31 seconds (because they're too freaky).

Given a choice, I'll take the 1/10 second gap at the beginning over those final :31 seconds, but it's still annoying. Not sure if anything can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Ok..from what I gather, in the original track, one song fades into the other.(mixed) So in other words they are like one continuous track?

Since you seperated the track to edit, it is no longer synced with the first as in the original?
    Yes. The notes are in synch, but not the timing. A 1/10 second gap has been put in between the two tracks, where there had been no gap before. It's not a musical gap; it's a time gap. The notes match up, but they're separated by 1/10 second of time...like a "hiccup" or "eyeblink," if you know what I mean.

Not to get off track, but have you picked up "1"? It's a CD with 27 #1 singles. The real treasure is the booklet with pictures of the various sleeve covers from the 45's, with the recording dates and locations, and the release dates. It really sums up the Beatles and you can see how they changed over the years just by flipping through the pages.
    john-e