Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Silver Chambers of Sorrows 《銀樓金粉》

Actually, I quite like this series. Sure, the genre is cliche and predictable(sister-in-law in love with brother-inlaw, 2nd wife is a B***, young wife has an affair, son is spoiled, and daughter gets forced into marriage), but it is still entertaining in its own way. That may seem repetitive but that was probably how life was in those times. and the acting isn't boring or bad except for one or two. Paul Chun is at his best as a villian, and Rebecca is an expert in annoying roles.

Right now, I do think it is quite suspenseful and moving. I am moved by the relationship between Winnie and Christine, considering that they are love-rivals but yet they become friends, and yet in the trailer, one tries to kill the other. I just want to know what happens.

Also Charmaine's character is also getting interesting. She is not as demure as she is brought up to be, she is independent and clever, but she will not submit to ruin her own happiness.

And the rivalry between Rebecca and Nancy Wu is hilarious. Because before 4th wife came into the picture, none of the other wives really competed with Rebecca and let her have her way. But Nancy Wu's role gives a spice to the series now she is challenging Rebecca's position and status. She is shrewd and clever, she is ambitious and manipulative, but she is not totally evil either.

Christine's character started out pretty boring and predictable but I am anticipating her massive chnage in character. I think 10 eps is a bit long to wiat for her change, but i hope it would be worth the wait. However, I still don't get hwo she was so guillable on her wedding night.

So far, I think only Paul has performed some effort out of the men. Matt has his moments, but half the time, he looks very "gayish" trying to act spoilt. Jack Wu is boring in character and in acting. Ng Wai Kwok is not bad, but his character pisses me off and his acting skills is not challenged. Its as if he is sleepwalking through some of his scenes and his role doesn't do that much. I wish there are more secens of him challenging hsi brother's authority cos he stands out in those scenes.

I just love the themesong and the themevideo. It looks very classy and well out together.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I totally agree with you. The story isn't anything fresh but that's how it was back then. I'm waiting for the fall of the family because that is always fun to watch. Also when Christine's character turns evil should be fun too. I hope her change doesn't come suddenly. This is not the best series but it is still interesting to watch.

Well, this series is really focussed on teh change in Christine and I don' feel it is going to fast which is good. Before, she was quite naive and kind, however, you do get occasional glimpses of her ability to compete with Rebecca, e.g. the general's party thing. And after ep 8, you can actually see her being quite sly by pretending to sleep. So even before she got rejected, she probabaly already was capable of some of the thinsg she was to become later on.

And yes, finally the dragging relationship between Christine and Ng Wia Kwok has finished afetr what happened in ep 11. I am so happy because it wasn't getting anywhere and it was losing its tragic effect and I was getting annoyed with Christine's character for not getting on with her life (she is like obsessed) and Ng Wai Kwok cosa he says stuff when he is emotionally cherged and then regrets later on and misleads Christine. At least now, she shows some life and her acting have increased by heaps when her attitude changes. Christine is bad at being confused, but fantastic at being evil.

Shirley is still annoying me with her overacting and Jack with his underacting. But Charmaine is doing very well, she is acting and talking naturally.
    Last edited by charbydis; 05-13-08 at 08:24 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I skipped the earlier episodes and went straight to epi 11 & 12. I didn't miss much

Anyway, the series now is much spicier due to Christine changing. I'm anticipating Sau Hang vs Nin Wong scenes (the latter being an idiot, I just want to her to be taught a lesson the hard way).

I just want to see someone take down Old Mrs Ko. She is such a sadist.
    I was ing when she was putting down Nin Wong. The look on Rebecca's face is funny.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    How about you sticking to the topic and commenting on what you think about this series instead of what you think if others are credible or not. Not once did I see you mention a single comment about this series so obviously you haven't watched it or you know it's craptacular and would not comment. The only thing you've mentioned related to this series is that you were anticipating on watching it.

What a craptastic series this is. I don't know who the writers are at TVB, but whoever wrote thie script for this blunderful series should be shot into the sun!
    Obviously if someone is anticipating something...he hasnt seen it! I'll definitely give my comments when I actually do see it.
    I only asked that you give a reason or two as to why you think it's such a horrible series and you have...so time to move on.

I like Christine's character more now as she becomes evil. She is way more interesting now. I don't know why but I don't like Nancy's character. The writers made her character weak and she shouldn't be because she is the first wife and she does have some power.

Wow, i didn't know there were so many mixed feelings on this series...

I kinda like this series but the storyline is not the main reason, my main reason is that it isn't a series that's just trying to promoto 'this' person or 'that' person... it gets annoying when you watch series that are frankly and obvious just to promoto 'X' person's popularity.

Back to the point, i like this series, Paul Chun is such a great actor, (even though his character is kinda hated for his behaviour), i really enjoy his acting!

Oh my goodness! Does Christine's character turn evil??? I never saw that coming, i thought it would be the 1st wife who would turn to protect her family and status (or lack of it), I should have watched the trailer!!!

I'm glad Winnie Yeung's back, i've liked her since she played 'Mun Qu' in Plain LoveII!

Is it evil to say, i can't wait to see the Sheung family's downfall?
    Life is what U make it...
    ...So make sure U live with no regrets...
    ...and live it to the MAXX!!!

IMO I think I regretted watching the trailer first because it had spoilers. Otherwise, it'd be so surprising and even more enjoyable watching the drama! It's getting more and more intense as of episode 18. But for some reason, the preview for episode 20 says it's the final episode. I thought it has 21 episodes?

Or is TVB airing previews for future episodes again? They did that for several episodes of Tai Chi, too.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
    IMO I think I regretted watching the trailer first because it had spoilers. Otherwise, it'd be so surprising and even more enjoyable watching the drama! It's getting more and more intense as of episode 18. But for some reason, the preview for episode 20 says it's the final episode. I thought it has 21 episodes?

Or is TVB airing previews for future episodes again? They did that for several episodes of Tai Chi, too.
    It has 20 episodes only, but Ep 20 is twice the length of a normal episode, so half of it is called ep 21 at some sites.

i love the ending. The fire scene was great. Paul was perfect. But there can eb two ways to interpreting the final scene.

SPOILERS!!!
    click to show/hide spoilers

The optimistic view is that Christine somehow found a way out of the burning room when Paul pushed her away. And she may have done ti thru a window or a hole so that no one up front saw her. And she kept in hiding to let Ng Wai Kwok leave thinking she was dead, so that they coudl both move on with their lives.

However, the pessimist view is that Christine was pushed away by Paul from the burning falling beam, but she still was trapped and died in the fire. But her soul still longed to see Ng Wai Kwok one last time before he left. And then she went on to another life, levaing her stubborness and love for Ng Wai Kwok behind.

I think that teh pessimistic view makes sense mroe and it is mroe romantic and poignant in a way.
    Cyril Connolly

I thought the ending was another typical TVB ending. I would have liked it better if Christine's character didn't survive the fire. Also I hated how Nancy's character still cared about Paul's character after all the things that he did to her and their daughter.

Cant blame Nancy's character for caring about her husband even though he'swicked. Afterall they have been 20 years of couple with respect. I agree that the ending will be better if Christine did die in the fire, guess that Tvb do not want an ending with many deaths in it...

currently watching this now it is great draMa from beginning to end

I think this is a gd series too although much of it is predictable. I felt the fall of the family was a little abrupt, all in the last 3 episodes. At least they provided closure unlike some series.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I just want to see someone take down Old Mrs Ko. She is such a sadist.
    I was ing when she was putting down Nin Wong. The look on Rebecca's face is funny.
    Who is Nin Wong? Is Old Mrs Ko the blind old lady who is not as blind as she looks?

Rebecca's forgivable blabbermouth adds abit of spice to the show. She's 'magoo' most of the times.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?