Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Silver Chambers of Sorrows 《銀樓金粉》

Default The Silver Chambers of Sorrows 《銀樓金粉》

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5214/chambercz6.jpg')

English Title: The Silver Chambers of Sorrows
    Chinese Title: Ngan Lau Kam Fan

Genre: Period Drama

Release: April 2008

Episodes: 21

Casts:
    Nancy Sit
    Shirley Yeung
    Christine Ng
    Paul Chun
    Ng Wai Kwok
    Rebecca Chan
    Nancy Wu
    Jack Wu
    Matt Yeung
    Winnie Yeung
    Ellesmere Choi

Synopsis:
    A Rich Family is Ruled by Lust
    A Hymn is Mourned Over by Feuds

Prestige Silver Chamber", the largest jewel company in Foshan, Guangdong Province China, is facing serious financial difficulties. In order to obtain a loan from SHUM's family, SHEUNG HANG (Chui Pui), owner of the Chamber, together with his primary wife, CHOI SIU-DIP (Sit Ka Yin), plot to arrange marriage between SHEUNG WAN (Ng Wai Kwok), HANG's younger brother, and SHUM WING-TUNG (Young Yuen Yee), daughter of SHUM's family. Fueled by hatred, CHING SAU-HANG (Ng Wing Mei), WAN's lover, marries HANG and ironically becomes WAN's sister-in-law. WAN falls out with HANG, and opts to live abroad and disconnects from his family. After leaving home for years, WAN does not return home until the occasion to celebrate his father's birthday. Tension between the two brothers comes to a head when HANG is reluctant to pay ransom to save the youngest son of WAN. WAN is determined to disconnect completely from his family ever since.Since WAN's return, SAU-HANG suffers from her husband's neglect and gets framed for causing the fourth concubine FEI FEI's (Wu Ting Yan) miscarriage. Hatred leads her to commit act that revenge. She seeks to subvert SHEUNG's family by luring KWAN. Intentionally, she unveils TSAU GUK(Yeung Sze Ki), the maid in the family, is HANG's illegitimate daughter. The dark age of a once-prominent family begins.
    Last edited by triumph2004; 05-15-08 at 02:48 PM.

Default Nancy Sit Leads Veteran Cast For TVB New Series

TVB new series Silver Mansion Golden Powder <銀樓金粉> held a blessing ceremony today to mark the start of studio filming. The series stars a host of veteran actors including Nancy Sit (薛家燕), Ng Wai Kwok (伍衛國) and Paul Chun (秦沛) as well as younger cast members Christine Ng (伍詠薇), Shirley Yeung (楊思琦), Nancy Wu (胡定欣) and Jack Wu (胡諾言).

Nancy (Sit) revealed that she plays Paul's first wife in the series and his character has three other wives, so there is a lot of conflict between them in the storyline. She said that her character is quite scheming and realises that sometimes it is necessary to take the wrong path in order to protect yourself. However, she said that in real life, she has never taken the wrong decision, no matter how difficult the situation has been.

In her spare time, Nancy has also been busy raising HK$10 million to build a clinic in the Tin Shui Wai area because the government does not plan to build a hospital there for another ten years. She has been busy drawing on her contacts in various professions to help out and she secured a lot of support earlier during her appearance in the Tung Wah charity show.

Shirley explained that she plays a maid in the series, which is a period drama set in the 1920's and in one scene, her character shows her body to the young master, played by Matt Yeung (揚明). She also has to film a scene where she is bathing under a waterfall and she said that she is quite worried about shooting this in the cold weather and keeping warm. She said she will also be bullied by Rebecca Chan (陳秀珠) in the show.

Credits: batgwa.com

Well, I am really looking forward to this since i like the veteran cast so much. I don;t expect much from Nancy Sit, but wow! Rebecca and Christine as concubines fighting is a definate watch! Haven't seen Paul Chun around as much but I herad he has lost a lot weight. hope this would be out soon!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

wow...i dont really like series that mainly contain veterans but maybe this might turn out pretty good? Cant wait to hear more about this tho ^^
    loving [BOSCO WONG!!!] + Prince@BBT *muah!

Fav actoR: bosco wong, prince
    Fav actresseS: LYF, Bernice Liu
    SingerS: Lollipop, vincent wong

currently watching: WOIL2, Ultimate Crime Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by KantopunK...xD View Post
    wow...i dont really like series that mainly contain veterans but maybe this might turn out pretty good? Cant wait to hear more about this tho ^^
    Well, it does ensure that you'll get better acting than the unstable acting of the new and overpromoted so-called-new actors/actresesses and the forevermore unlikeable bad scowler Charmain Tissue.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

lol. yea thats what i thought
    loving [BOSCO WONG!!!] + Prince@BBT *muah!

Fav actoR: bosco wong, prince
    Fav actresseS: LYF, Bernice Liu
    SingerS: Lollipop, vincent wong

currently watching: WOIL2, Ultimate Crime Fighter

TVB will air this serie on 4/28th. It is now called The Silver Chamber of Sorrows in English.

Themesong sang by Ivanna Wong

Themevideo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ZW2tLBq7I

Intense Clip found from Szeki World
    (Be Aware of SPOILERS in this clip!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8VA36wxM54

The clip looks really intense, and it seems like Christine's character is the main focus!
    Last edited by jadedreams; 04-24-08 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spoiler warning

Hey! That new clip is very suspensful and informative! I wanna watch it now!

It seems that Nancy is a breakthrough character - she looks great and sounds great. But Nancy doesn't seem very evil in the clip. I think basically everyone looks great except for Winne Yeung whose hair and clothes look weird. I know her charcter is supposed to just come back from France but her hair looks like a scrappy hat and she isn't very attractive in that hairdo. No wonder her husband has eyes elsewhere!

Can't wait for 28th April! Only 4 more days!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Wow, didn't expect this to be a good series, but the trailer is really intense and interesting. I might give this a try if it's good.

This series is awful. After seeing the 1st ep, I didn't want to watch it again, but thought I give it a chance. So, I watched 2 more eps and it's just unbearable.

Don't bother with this garbage series. It's just boring and a time killer. Actually, watching paint dry would be more fun than watching this.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

So in what way is this series so horrible? Maybe if you provide some examples or some commentary, your message would be more credible.

Well this is one of my biggest anticipation so hopefully you're just one in a million with that thought hehe.

Just watched 2 episodes of this series - I won't say it's a bad series, but I did fast forward some part, something I usually won't do at the early episodes of series. It's due to the predictable, formulaic storyline and I knew I won't miss out much.

I hope it will improve by later episodes where more characters get introduced and the main leads give more dimension.

Rebecca Chan, is spectacular as always. Her character is annoying but she really steal the spotlight at the b`tchy 2nd Madam. And Paul Chun finally taking a semi villain role in TV series - it's been years since he took evil role, mostly in movies (opposite Andy Lau)

The costumes and jeweleries are very nice and fit the characters well (though 70% of them are recycled from other series).

Nancy Sit - Conservative and simple (Coming from a well bred family herself)
    Rebecca - Gaudy and flashy (Loves to show off, but could not hide the fact that she comes from low class - servant)
    Christine - Sophisticated (Comes from middle class, educated)
    Nancy - Sexy and modern (Shanghai cabaret girl)

Though there's not much development on Nancy's character, but her body language is very good - from her posture to cocky expression.

This time I also praise TVB for refurbishing their indoor set - the mansion look more authentic and spacious, the lighting is also more natural.

Poster:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/913/frontpage12e34edht8.th.jpg')
    Triumph, you can use this in your 1st post but you might want to resize it first because it's huge!

Synopsis from Astro on Demand:

A Rich Family is Ruled by Lust
    A Hymn is Mourned Over by Feuds

Prestige Silver Chamber", the largest jewel company in Foshan, Guangdong Province China, is facing serious financial difficulties. In order to obtain a loan from SHUM's family, SHEUNG HANG (Chui Pui), owner of the Chamber, together with his primary wife, CHOI SIU-DIP (Sit Ka Yin), plot to arrange marriage between SHEUNG WAN (Ng Wai Kwok), HANG's younger brother, and SHUM WING-TUNG (Young Yuen Yee), daughter of SHUM's family. Fueled by hatred, CHING SAU-HANG (Ng Wing Mei), WAN's lover, marries HANG and ironically becomes WAN's sister-in-law. WAN falls out with HANG, and opts to live abroad and disconnects from his family. After leaving home for years, WAN does not return home until the occasion to celebrate his father's birthday. Tension between the two brothers comes to a head when HANG is reluctant to pay ransom to save the youngest son of WAN. WAN is determined to disconnect completely from his family ever since.

Since WAN's return, SAU-HANG suffers from her husband's neglect and gets framed for causing the fourth concubine FEI FEI's (Wu Ting Yan) miscarriage. Hatred leads her to commit act that revenge. She seeks to subvert SHEUNG's family by luring KWAN. Intentionally, she unveils TSAU GUK(Yeung Sze Ki), the maid in the family, is HANG's illegitimate daughter. The dark age of a once-prominent family begins.

Question to sehseh or anyone who has started this, so what role does Rebecca actually play? Is she Paul Chun's sister-in-law or something?
    I'm kinda confused by the fact that she's the 2nd madam but also coming from low class.

Also, is Charmaine Li playing Nancy Sit's daughter?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Question to sehseh or anyone who has started this, so what role does Rebecca actually play? Is she Paul Chun's sister-in-law or something?
    I'm kinda confused by the fact that she's the 2nd madam but also coming from low class.

Also, is Charmaine Li playing Nancy Sit's daughter?

Thanks.
    Rebecca Chan is Paul Chun's second wife. Here's a brief explanation:

Paul & wives

Nancy Sit: Paul's 1st and formal wife. She have a daughter Charmaine Li.

Rebecca Chan: She is originally Nancy's maid, but seduced Paul and bore Matt Yeung, the only son of Paul. But she is not satisfied with the title of 2nd wife.

Christine: 3rd wife. Her frosty relationship with Paul doesn't produce any offsprings.

Nancy Wu: Paul's 4th wife and presumably his favorite. She is a singer from cabaret club in Shanghai.

Ng Wai Kwok:

Wife 1: Passed away, have a son.

Current wife: Winnie Yeung.

Rebecca, Christine and Nancy Wu are 'gai sat', meaning concubines hence their rank is secondary compared to Nancy Sit.

Winnie, on the other hand is 'tin fong', as the original wife already passed away when she married Ng Wai Kwok hence she is recognized as his formal wife.

So in what way is this series so horrible? Maybe if you provide some examples or some commentary, your message would be more credible.

Well this is one of my biggest anticipation so hopefully you're just one in a million with that thought hehe.
    I don't give a crap if you don't think I'm credible with my comments. I can care less if you watch this series or not, but to me, it's one of the worst TVB series I've seen in a while. Not only is everything predictable, but the acting is also bad. This is just another recycle series with different actors/actresses, but still the same old boring plots.
    Even the charcters the actors/actresses play are same recycle generic characters.

Watch 3 episodes of this series and then tell me what you think. If you think it's a good series after watching 3 episodes, then I'll say you're not credible.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Well for not caring...yet you did exactly what I asked of you so thank you indeed lol.

Obviously credibility is a term new to you...if I happen to like it does not mean I lose any credibility...perhaps you may think I have bad taste - there's a difference.

Well for not caring...yet you did exactly what I asked of you so thank you indeed lol.

Obviously credibility is a term new to you...if I happen to like it does not mean I lose any credibility...perhaps you may think I have bad taste - there's a difference.
    How about you sticking to the topic and commenting on what you think about this series instead of what you think if others are credible or not. Not once did I see you mention a single comment about this series so obviously you haven't watched it or you know it's craptacular and would not comment. The only thing you've mentioned related to this series is that you were anticipating on watching it.

What a craptastic series this is. I don't know who the writers are at TVB, but whoever wrote thie script for this blunderful series should be shot into the sun!
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

I was very excited about this serie when I heard it was going to come out. However, watching up to episode 8 now, each episode was kind of predictable and also kind of boring at times. The characters seems to have somewhat bland personalities so far, but there are surprises here and there for each of the character here and there.

For example, and this might be spoilerish, but it was definitely interesting to see the little things that comes out like the scene in which Nancy Sit threatened Rebecca about knowing the truth or how Nancy Wu mentioned something she did in the past to get ahead as a main singer, or even though Rebecca is petty, she has a cute side with the pool table lah lol

However, I'm still going to watch hoping it would get better after the characters show their darker sides. To be fair, some series are great after watching the first 3 episodes. In my opinion, I thought the Price of Greed was boring the first time I gave it a try and quit after i think 5 episodes, but I gave it another chance, and when past episode 10....wow...addictive. With this serie, it looks like all the exciting and intense scenes are going to be in the later half of the serie so hopefully it doesn't in a Chinese phrase 'make my glasses fall' haha.

If you like watching series that are consistently keeping your mind intrigue, then this is NOT going to be a serie you would like at all. But if you like watching character development and perhaps learning a little of history, then give this serie a try.