Thread: Interesting Non-Academic Topic to Teach

Default Interesting Non-Academic Topic to Teach

Hey, I was wondering if the teachers/tutors on Spcnet, or anyone really could give me some help. I'm applying for a job and I have to a mini audition teaching a non-academic topic for 5 min. I'm supposed to use the whiteboard and engage the audience.

Any good ideas for topics? Some previous suggestions are "How to recover from a hangover", "How to cook a simple meal", etc...fun things, nothing dirty/obscene, but maybe a bit funny, and non-academic.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if the teachers/tutors on Spcnet, or anyone really could give me some help. I'm applying for a job and I have to a mini audition teaching a non-academic topic for 5 min. I'm supposed to use the whiteboard and engage the audience.

Any good ideas for topics? Some previous suggestions are "How to recover from a hangover", "How to cook a simple meal", etc...fun things, nothing dirty/obscene, but maybe a bit funny, and non-academic.

Thanks!
    It probably doesn't matter about the material but rather the presentation itself - be loud and funny.

Go watch the MIT professor physics presentations! It is really great
    Last edited by Han Solo; 12-31-07 at 02:05 PM. Reason: experimentation editing
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

How bout choosing the topic How To Teach a Non-Academic Topic In Five Minutes?
    This account is retired.

Hmm those cooking stuff could be boring. Well, how about this...

1) How to do a Stand-up comedy in 5 mins? (for the comedy ideas, could get some ideas from youtube...or I suggest something from "Little Britain")

2) How to scare people in 5 mins? (involves from putting a scary mask, preparing your "scene" and Baha!

3).....(stay tune! I think I can come up with better ideas.) :P

Well, I'm a non-Academic person....(my grades sucks :P ) so if you need some creative ideas, I could help =D. As for suggestion 1....well, you have hardly-into-anything-serious remember_Cedric here :P. Let me know, I could help.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

How about "How to do Hong Lung 18 Palms, Felix Wong Style, To Fend Off a Bully?"

For me, it was an important survival skill in elementary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    How about "How to do Hong Lung 18 Palms, Felix Wong Style, To Fend Off a Bully?"

For me, it was an important survival skill in elementary school.
    Hey, weren't you the one talking about how you got beat up trying to protect a girl or something in the "Would a girl fall in love with someone that protects her" thread?

Maybe you were out of elementary school. Man there must've been some rough kids in California.

"What can one do in five minutes - A comparison between men and women for toilet".

Men: do their stuff, wash hand, comb hair, button up, etc etc etc
    Women: inpsect the toilet.

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I'm not a very comedic/funny person =( So it'll probably come across as me trying too hard and not getting too many laughs...Although remember_cedric, your first idea sounds really good.

Haha, I guess I should err on the safe side, and try not to go into too many obscene topics, i.e. toilets, beating up people...

I'm pretty crazy about movies....should I talk about how to rip apart a bad movie as a critic? Does that sound kiiind of interesting?

Reckoned that you should talk about photography, and the joy of photography. You will do well.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thank you, yearning. Being jovial and silly are my passion lol. I find laughter is the best thing after a stressful time. Its healthy, and...free. having involved with animation, I have to be as "cartoony".

Hey Han Solo made a good suggestion. Photography is fun, and teaching/sharing your passion to someone can really get you good scores, because that part of interest its in you.

how to rip apart a bad movie as a critic? Could you give a brief idea or a draft of how you could do this? We could give better suggestions that way. And....remember your timing and the keyword: relax.

To branch out your ideas on a topic, do a graph or mind map.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-28-07 at 07:17 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I'm not a very comedic/funny person =( So it'll probably come across as me trying too hard and not getting too many laughs...Although remember_cedric, your first idea sounds really good.

Haha, I guess I should err on the safe side, and try not to go into too many obscene topics, i.e. toilets, beating up people...

I'm pretty crazy about movies....should I talk about how to rip apart a bad movie as a critic? Does that sound kiiind of interesting?
    Ripping apart a bad movie? Will you be able to show clips of a bad movie? Or will you do all the talking?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.