Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIDS passed by food!

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yeah, talking about personal responsibility is heartless, ignorant, narrow-minded and selfish... Who the hell am I to talk about personal responsibility?
    Pardon me for being presumptuous, but as someone who not long ago publicly declared that he didn't care about the future of this world beyond his own lifespan, you have very little credibility upon which to lecture others on "responsibility."

I rarely quote the Christian Bible, but for now, I'll use it as a handy reference point.

What is it about Jesus that inspired so many, and is one of the fundamental tenements of Christianity? I think many would agree that it was compassion. When Jesus met the poor, did he tell them that it was 'their fault' that they didn't work hard? No, he fed them. When Jesus met the sick, did he tell them that it was 'their fault' that they didn't practice better hygiene or take better care of themselves? No, he healed them. When the angry mob was about to stone that poor woman to death, did he tell her that it was her own fault for sinning? No, he saved her. This compassion which Jesus showed to those who, arguably, may have been responsible at least in part for their own troubles is the heart of the Christian doctrine.

Compassion for your fellow beings when they are in distress is one of the critical, most basic underpinnings of humanity, of being human. A person who, when seeing pain, suffering, and misfortune happens to others, can only wag his finger at them and tell them, "This is your own fault"...a person who lacks compassion, who lacks empathy for others, is someone who is far lower than those whom he mocks. That type of person can only be called subhuman, and they are a far more pernicious, far more contemptible, and far greater blight on society than those unfortunates whom they look down upon.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 02-08-08 at 02:45 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Pardon me for being presumptuous, but as someone who not long ago publicly declared that he didn't care about the future of this world beyond his own lifespan, you have very little credibility upon which to lecture others on "responsibility."
    When I said I don't care, I meant I don't care about those few people ganged up on me about the issue. I didn't say I don't care about the future of the world....

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I rarely quote the Christian Bible, but for now, I'll use it as a handy reference point.

What is it about Jesus that inspired so many, and is one of the fundamental tenements of Christianity? I think many would agree that it was compassion. When Jesus met the poor, did he tell them that it was 'their fault' that they didn't work hard? No, he fed them. When Jesus met the sick, did he tell them that it was 'their fault' that they didn't practice better hygiene or take better care of themselves? No, he healed them. When the angry mob was about to stone that poor woman to death, did he tell her that it was her own fault for sinning? No, he saved her. This compassion which Jesus showed to those who, arguably, may have been responsible at least in part for their own troubles is the heart of the Christian doctrine.

Compassion for your fellow beings when they are in distress is one of the critical, most basic underpinnings of humanity, of being human. A person who, when seeing pain, suffering, and misfortune happens to others, can only wag his finger at them and tell them, "This is your own fault"...a person who lacks compassion, who lacks empathy for others, is someone who is far lower than those whom he mocks. That type of person can only be called subhuman, and they are a far more pernicious, far more contemptible, and far greater blight on society than those unfortunates whom they look down upon.
    What I am saying is we advocate them about the situation and the consequences so that they can change their lifestyle and countless people that still haven't got infected will be save. If you think leave them alone is the better solution to the problem, then be it...

When I said I don't care, I meant I don't care about those few people ganged up on me about the issue. I didn't say I don't care about the future of the world....
    What I am saying is we advocate them about the situation and the consequences so that they can change their lifestyle and countless people that still haven't got infected will be save. If you think leave them alone is the better solution to the problem, then be it...
    What I'm seeing here is someone who continually plays semantic games to avoid accountability for what he says, not to practice the responsibility he prattles endlessly about.

Responsibility: you've talked the talk (ad nauseum) about responsibility, but will you walk the walk?

Don't tell me; show me.

Jesus also said, "Go forth and sin no more." But he also was willing to help them. You aren't interested in that. You'd rather just lecture.

There's a good reason that people on this forum 'gang up' on you, and it's not because you're an enlightened, wise, compassionate person, and it's not because we're ignorant, close-minded liberals.

Sorry, not going to bite on a pointless metaphysical debate with someone who created a new account seemingly for the sole purpose of derailing this thread.

Maybe I have, and if so, I apologize. That being said, I'm -still- not going to bite on getting this thread derailed into some sort of metaphysical debate about sin.

Sry that i had been away.

I propose that this thread either 1) Talk about the topic and keep to it, or else i will close it.

2) Try and keep a civil tone and avoid discriminatory tone.

3) Create a new topic if you want to post about other thing apart from the topic.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Removed by HYS.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 02-08-08 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Potentially unabashed TC-bashing.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Ok, I see.
    Any, a bit off topic but I want to add that AIDS/HIV could have easily avoided in most cases if people behave responsibly....
    Honestly, do you find yourself qualified to judge who deserves this incurable disease due to immoral choices? I do not find you qualify in making any judgment on this matter, especially when it is obvious that your opinions are biased, neglecting to take into account that a significant number of AIDS victims are not guilty of immorality, but rather of ill fortune. These include transfusion recipients, children, and rape victims. This is certainly the grim reality for millions of people in Africa. And pardon me, but children and victims of rape do not have a choice in making “responsible” decisions. Thus, how to place the blame or condemn these people when they never asked to be violated and be inflicted with this terminal disease? Please get a grip on your bias-opinions and judgmental views as you are only doing yourself, and everyone else, a great disservice with such a linear mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'm talking about people who get the virus after they have kids.
    Since nobody mentioned whether the mother had AIDS pre or post conception I just assumed it was pre. With that context in mind, I was wondering why everyone was arguing that it was OK to have (i.e. create) kids when you have AIDS.

If the mother got AIDS later on in life, what can you do other than get educated about it? It's sort of like getting terminal cancer later in life... except you can pass the illness on through blood transfer. Nothing you can do except prevent transfer (that's where education helps) and to get your finances in order and whatever else you do if you had a terminal illness.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Trien Chieu is saying they shouldn't have kids b/c they can't take care of themselves.
    Again I was assuming the discussion was about having kids. Hence my argument agreeing with this statement (irresponsible to have kids knowing you will die young - not withstanding extreme cases e.g. raped by guy with HIV and having kid from that)

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    thanks so much Lunar for this article..I already emailed it to all my friends that are mother who might or think they have the virus...

my mother used to pre-chew our foods and thanks heaven she didn't have the virus then...
    it's a bad idea to feed "pre-chewed" food...period. more frequently transmitted than HIV are cavities .