Thread: What are ways to make a lowend computer function at it's best?

Default What are ways to make a lowend computer function at it's best?

My computer is just a regular COMPAQ PRESARIO bought in 2005. I haven't upgraded it at all after that. It has very little space (around 30 gigs or so) and it has very little ram. The processor, graphics card, etc. are also VERY outdated. But I don't have the extra money right now to update it or anything. So how can I use it to it's fullest ability? Do you recommend any internet speed enhancers, anti-virus programs, etc.?

I recently heard of something called overclocking where one increases the voltage that the computer recieves. The increased electricity will enhance the processor and other computer parts. The bad thing about overclocking is that it will hurt the computer and the parts will need to be replaced a lot quicker that if we don't overclock. What do you guys think?

Here are a few tips that you can do to get the most out of your resources.
    All are software-based solutions.

1. Assuming you're using Windows XP or 2000, set your Visual Effects to Adjust for best performance.

2. Since your physical memory is small, set your virtual memory/paging file size to as high as you can. The default is system managed; change it to a constant number; I have it set to 1200 MB. By the way, if you have multiple drives (virtual or physical), it's better to set the paging file on a non-boot drive.

3. Defragment the HD: the general rule is to defragment your HDs often. This will keep your HD leaner and potentially increase the speed. If you have large files that do not change, you can put them at the end of the file system.

4. Minimize the startup applications. If you haven't looked in a while, chances are there are some junk that start automatically with Windows. Cleaning up this list will prevent unnecessary background services from being initiated, and thus help a lot with performance.

5. Clean the Windows Registry. There might be tons of junk there.

6. Remove any spyware. This is a major reason why systems get slowed down.
    Last edited by PJ; 02-26-08 at 09:16 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Thanks for the help, PJ. However I still need some help.
    1. Assuming you're using Windows XP or 2000, set your Visual Effects to Adjust for best performance.
    How?
    2. Since your physical memory is small, set your virtual memory/paging file size to as high as you can. The default is system managed; change it to a constant number; I have it set to 1200 MB. By the way, if you have multiple drives (virtual or physical), it's better to set the paging file on a non-boot drive.
    How?

3. Defragment the HD: the general rule is to defragment your HDs often. This will keep your HD leaner and potentially increase the speed. If you have large files that do not change, you can put them at the end of the file system.
    I'm doing this right now.

4. Minimize the startup applications. If you haven't looked in a while, chances are there are some junk that start automatically with Windows. Cleaning up this list will prevent unnecessary background services from being initiated, and thus help a lot with performance.
    I've been doing this.

How?

6. Remove any spyware. This is a major reason why systems get slowed down.
    I've been using SpyBot Search & Destroy for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Thanks for the help, PJ. However I still need some help.
    My pleasure

Procedure #1

1. Browse to Start -> Settings -> Control Panels -> System

2. Select the Advanced tab

3. Under Performance, click on the Settings button.

4. The first tab is Visual Effects. There are 4 radio buttons. Select Adjust for best performance.

Procedure #2
    Assuming you've completed the Procedure #1 (if not, do Procedure #1 steps 1 - 3).

1. Go to the Advanced tab.

2. At the bottom, under Virtual memory, click on the Change button.

3. Here you can select which drive(s) you want to put the paging file on, as well as how much space to allocate. Check the settings for each drive and make the changes accordingly. What you'll want is to put the paging file on a non-boot drive if possible. Also deselect System managed size. Instead, select the Custom size radio button and specify the size of the paging file in MB. Then click on the Set button.

There are software to help you clean the registry.
    I use Ace Utilities 2.4.1.
    It works very well for me.
    Perhaps someone can recommend other good, free tools.

Thanks for the help again, PJ.

I still don't get procedure #2. What is non-boot drive? And how should I modify the settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Thanks for the help again, PJ.

I still don't get procedure #2. What is non-boot drive? And how should I modify the settings?
    A boot drive is a drive where an operating system (OS) boots from. For most Windows file systems, the C:\ drive is the boot drive. It is recommended that you do not put the paging file on the C:\ drive, if you have another drive that does not have an OS.

To change the setting, go to procedure #2.... you can select C:\ drive from the top, select "no paging file", and click on Set. Then for whatever hard drive you want to put the paging file on, you select "custom size". If you only have C:\ drive available, then just select "custom size" and put a size there (i.e. 1200 MB)

I can't even go pass 750 MB. I guess I'll just leave it at what it is (300 something).

format that sucka, it'll fly for like a month or 2.

install tinyxp on it.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

visit www.pcworld.com there are a lot of tips and tricks for optimizing old or lowend machines

such as cleaning out the registry, un-installing unecessary components, using diskeeper instead of window's built in disk defrag program, memory optimizers etc

But from personal experience with several brand name IT products, buying a Dell, Compaq, HP desktop/laptop/notebook is just like marrying a supermodel. HIGH MAINTENANCE!!! not worth the time EVER!!!
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 03-06-08 at 06:27 PM.