Thread: Desperately need help on technology based grammar lesson

Default Desperately need help on technology based grammar lesson

Hi everyone!
    Ok, I am not sure if I am allowed to post something like this here, but I am really stressed and am struggling to come up with a lesson on teaching a grammar point. However, what makes it even more complicated is that I have to use technology/technology based tools to teach the lessons. Basically, in the first lesson, I have to introduce them to the tools. Then in the second lesson, I have to engage them in a lesson that helps them practice these tools which will help them learn more about the grammar skill that I am teaching. Then in the third lesson, I have to come up with a way to assess them. I am struggling so much with this right now. I have to write by this coming Weds. and then do a demo on it on March 19. I am so worried... Or I can also do a lesson on any technological tool like Babelfish, but I am not sure how to do a lesson with that. Do you guys have any suggestions, tips, sites,etc?I have never taught with technology before so am really scared. I would really appreciate it since I have not been sleeping well due to worrying about this. I am grateful for any help or replies... Thanks so much you guys!!!!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

How about using a word processing program that has a grammar check, like MS Word? You could prepare a document with some errors in it and let the students try to find them with the grammar check. Make sure it detects some things that aren't errors, so they don't just "correct all".

Don't get too stressed - relax and have fun with it, you'll do a better job
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Hi John-e,
    THanks so much for your advice and help, but I have changed my mind since I honestly couldn't think of anything for a grammar lesson in technology. I have now decided to do a lesson on teaching writing/communication with online forums. I am focusing on forums as a tool instead since I think that is more fun and interesting. It also will not stress me out as much. Thanks again for your help and kindness. I will try to relax and have fun with it. I really appreciate it!!!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Ok Hold on with your emotions for a minute, take a deep breath and calm down.

Now carefully explain what needs to be done again...

So you are going to teach some students grammer... (what language?) and you need to use some electronic tools (most likely a computer)?

Anyway can you please explain carefully what you need.

Maybe I can help you... this is, if you still need help ^^

I know 2 or 3 forums that are about grammar and stuff like that. Among those forums, the one I prefer is definitely WordReference. A lot of people are registered, so replies usually come in very fast. Moreover, this forum is divided into many sub-forums which each aims a particular language: English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, and so on. You can also find there a lot of useful external links.
    "Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Hi you guys!
    Thank you so much for your help and advice! I really appreciate it. I am trying to relax but gosh is it hard since I worry a lot. I actually am not doing grammar anymore. The thing is, our teacher wants us to focus on teaching our students(the language is English by the way) either a tool(such as Chatting, emailing, using an online forum,etc.) or a skill. We have to have 3 lessons, one on introducing the tool/skill, the second lesson is on doing some activities to have to students practice the tool/skill and the third lesson is some type of assessment. I am now planning to do one on using an online forum to help students with their writing skills that can be used for discussion... I am still kind of stuck but time is running out for me, so I am hoping to come up with pretty much anything that makes sense or else I am dead... It is due this Weds. I will then have to a demo next Weds on one of the lessons too. Do you guys have any suggestions? I am trying to find some free online forums to set up for my lessons and demo... sigh... Teaching with technology can be so difficult, especially for me who has never done that before. My major is TESOL(Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) so the language that I am aiming to teach is English. THanks again you guys! I really appreciate it!

How about using translation of literature from one language to another as your tool?

We got a pretty active wuxia translation forum here for you to use as sample.

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

How about something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0W1VY4b9IQQ
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Why not do a blog instead of a forum, much simpler and easier. And your students can get into it pretty quickly, whereas a forum will require a bit more indept technical knowledge.

And having been a teacher myself and of course having been a student, I've learned that if they can get into some project or assignment quicker without having to learn a lot of complicated stuff they will enjoy it more.

And since you said your previous experience was mainly teaching english to foreign students, is this group of students you are teaching now students from other countries and you are taking another approach to teach them english using technology?

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is especially for students who are still learning to master english you may not want to become too technical, especially as forums require a lot of technical explanations.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 03-10-08 at 01:17 PM.

Hi han solo,
    Thanks for your suggestion and I was going to use babelfish, but then I really don't know how to do that for my 3 lessons. Do you have any suggestions? My teacher said that I can do that, but I ran into a dead end when I tried to do it.

Hi MysteriouX,
    Thank you so much for your help and advice, but I don't want to do blogging because that is the sample that she gave us already. I don't want my teacher to think that I am copying the sample so I have to something different. That's why I am choosing to do forums. Actually, this is just a demo for class that I have to do. I have had some minimal experience teaching ESL and international students, but not much. I am still new to teaching, especially with technology so I am really scared.... I guess I will just have to try my best since my time is running out.

To oGaKirA,
    Thank you so much for the link. Let me check it out....

Banned

Technology is quickly changing the way that business persons work each day. It is significant for buyers to play a vital part in understanding arising technology trends.

wow! it is interesting for me