Thread: MP4 to AVI

Default MP4 to AVI

Is there any freeware software that I could use to convert MP4 files to AVI? Many thanks.

there are many software you can download that will do this for you, many can be found on warez sites, however you should be aware of the drawbacks of converting mp4 into avi.

1) you are not compressing files, you are de-compressing them
    2) that means the extra bits of data which were cut out when the original was converted into mp4 cannot be regained
    3) meaning you could be losing quality instead

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    there are many software you can download that will do this for you, many can be found on warez sites, however you should be aware of the drawbacks of converting mp4 into avi.

1) you are not compressing files, you are de-compressing them
    2) that means the extra bits of data which were cut out when the original was converted into mp4 cannot be regained
    3) meaning you could be losing quality instead
    Oh I see. Just that I want to put this MP4 file as a DVD ISO so I could burn it onto DVD and the software I use deals mainly with .AVI. Do you have any suggestions?

ok so let me get this straight, you want to turn that movie file into a dvd-movie disc?

Well then why not look for a higher quality AVI file first, that way at least can you make a dvd-movie-disc with good quality, otherwise it'll be the same thing as if you were watching a youtube video with fullscreen on your computer screen. With color chunks and low resolution.

may as well save a dvd and just go s/vcd cuz quality aint going to be that great if converting from mp4 to avi/mpeg.
    Last edited by oGaKirA; 03-09-08 at 02:10 PM.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    ok so let me get this straight, you want to turn that movie file into a dvd-movie disc?

Well then why not look for a higher quality AVI file first, that way at least can you make a dvd-movie-disc with good quality, otherwise it'll be the same thing as if you were watching a youtube video with fullscreen on your computer screen. With color chunks and low resolution.
    Problem is that the fansub group only released it in this format.

whats the name of the anime and what's the fansub group?

I'm not 100% certain, but I do know a lot of fansub groups and they release in AVI or MKV formats, it's the people who upload it onto their anime/warez sites that do the conversion to smaller files.

Anyway if all you have is the MP4 version, I recommend you listen to ogakira. Don't waste a dvd, unless you are just going to burn it onto the dvd as a data file along with other episodes or movie files.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 03-09-08 at 06:44 PM.

Actually, it's two episodes of a Taiwanese drama called Bull Fighting by Timelessubs. Episodes 1-2 and 5-6 are in .avi yet 3-4 are in .mp4

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    Actually, it's two episodes of a Taiwanese drama called Bull Fighting by Timelessubs. Episodes 1-2 and 5-6 are in .avi yet 3-4 are in .mp4
    Ok I'm pretty sure that you already visited the fansub group's own site and checked but that is really weird to release 2 middle episodes in a different format.

PS: I just checked the web and it seems that its Timelessubs and another group called Delicious subs which are doing the series, perhaps they are taking turns fansubbing as some groups do and...well you get the picture.

Anyway just to be sure, why not do a google search for something like this: "timelessubs bull fighting episode 3" to see if any links for an avi file turns up.

Also try shareminer.com

virtualdubmod + codecs of the video type you are converting to and from.

Is there any freeware software that I could use to convert MP4 files to AVI? Many thanks.
    Try a free software called Super downloadable here http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html#Down

Very useful video conversion program for all popular formats

Oh I see. Just that I want to put this MP4 file as a DVD ISO so I could burn it onto DVD and the software I use deals mainly with .AVI. Do you have any suggestions?
    The easiest way to create a DVD-Video from avi or other video formats is to use Nero/Roxio which is available using ISOhunt. Hint! Hint!

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    Try a free software called Super downloadable here http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html#Down

Very useful video conversion program for all popular formats
    Just want to say thank you as this software worked really well for me!

Cool. Great to be of help.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

if u want to convert mp4 to avi then u can use All To Avi, which is a very gud software that alllows users to set different stuff but its harder to use.

if u want sumthing simple then use Total Video convertor, it can convert to avi and also DVD. u can set it to Low, Medium or high depending on what u want.

if the mp4 file contains more then one audio or subtitle track then u can use MKVtools which will allow u to extract each file then work on them seperately with a different dvd program like Ulead DVD Warehouse, that also allows you to make custom menus.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    if u want to convert mp4 to avi then u can use All To Avi, which is a very gud software that alllows users to set different stuff but its harder to use.
    if the mp4 file contains more then one audio or subtitle track then u can use MKVtools
    I would say AllToAvi is easy to use if you have some basic knowledge of video technology. Whereas I wouldn't recommend MKVTools at all to users unless they have a firm idea of video re-production.

Free software tend to be technically superior, but poor in execution and design to the technically challenged. It's a deficit of the IT geeks. They're great coders and problem solvers, but terrible at design and usability outside the geekdom community