View Poll Results: Which "unlikely to succeed" martial artist most surprised/impressed you?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deun Yu

6 16.67%
  • Hui Juk

15 41.67%
  • Yau Tan Tze

7 19.44%
  • Gwok Jing

8 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most impressive "unlikely to succeed" martial artist?

Default Most impressive "unlikely to succeed" martial artist?

Not everybody in wulin is Kiu Fung. In other words, not every powerful martial artist in wulin was marked for greatness from an early age. Some of the individuals who became extremely powerful in the martial arts started off very unremarkably...even poorly.

Four unlikely candidates became very powerful martial artists despite not showing much early promise: Deun Yu, Hui Juk, and Yau Tan Tze of DGSD, and Gwok Jing of LOCH. Of the four, whose ultimate development into a powerful martial artist surprised and impressed you the most?

XZ for me DY comes in a close 2nd
    TaZzY InC

Gwok Jing had grit.

Deun Yu had intelligence.

Yau Tan Tze had obsession.

Hui Juk had... uh... pimiples on his head and spots on his back?
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    Hui Juk had... uh... pimiples on his head and spots on his back?
    Ironically, that was enough to get him more raw inner power than the other three guys combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Ironically, that was enough to get him more raw inner power than the other three guys combined.
    Hurrah for pimples and spots then!

(hence my vote for Hui Juk...)
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

Really? Even with Duan Yu? assuming this the the height of Duan Yu.

Duan Yu+Guo Jing+You TanZhi?

amazing

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Really? Even with Duan Yu? assuming this the the height of Duan Yu.

Duan Yu+Guo Jing+You TanZhi?

amazing
    Hui Juk had 270 years of inner power from three martial artists who each had inner power that surpassed that of end-of-ROCH Gwok Jing. That's substantially more than Deun Yu had (he'd absorbed the inner power of mainly minor players; I don't think he took all of Deun Yin Hing or Kau Mor Tze's power, and these were the heaviest hitters he took from).

I voted GJ because he did it mostly with his own hard work. Both DY and XZ got lucky with energy transfers so they're the least impressive IMO. YTZ's progress was impressive too but he was held back a bit by his obsession with Ah Zhi. Also, YTZ lacked the humility that pushed GJ to constantly improve himself.

YTZ must be the most impressive one that succeeded in becoming a powerful MA. DY was very talented he just didn't want to learn MA.

Hui Juk had 270 years of inner power from three martial artists who each had inner power that surpassed that of end-of-ROCH Gwok Jing. That's substantially more than Deun Yu had (he'd absorbed the inner power of mainly minor players; I don't think he took all of Deun Yin Hing or Kau Mor Tze's power, and these were the heaviest hitters he took from).

Wow i always thought Duan Yu, although not nearly as much as Xu Zhu, should not be far off, possibly even half of Xu Zhu. And btw he did take ALL of JMZ's inner:

而段誉在得到鸠摩智的毕生修为后,内力之强,亦是震古铄
    今,他那“凌波微步”施展开来,辽军将士如何阻拦得住?

And the description makes me think that his inner was considerable.

But still, Xu Zhu's inner is crazily high.

EDIT: To think of it, i dun think Xu Zhu got the whole lot of TianShan TongLao + Lee ChiuShui;s inner, he wouldve got a substantial amount, but 100% i dun really think so. Unless JY stated otherwise.
    Last edited by flamer; 03-10-08 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Wow i always thought Duan Yu, although not nearly as much as Xu Zhu, should not be far off, possibly even half of Xu Zhu. And btw he did take ALL of JMZ's inner:

而段誉在得到鸠摩智的毕生修为后,内力之强,亦是震古铄
    今,他那“凌波微步”施展开来,辽军将士如何阻拦得住?

And the description makes me think that his inner was considerable.

But still, Xu Zhu's inner is crazily high.

EDIT: To think of it, i dun think Xu Zhu got the whole lot of TianShan TongLao + Lee ChiuShui;s inner, he wouldve got a substantial amount, but 100% i dun really think so. Unless JY stated otherwise.
    It was specifically stated that he took 90% of their inner power.

In addition, one more thing that gets ignored when comparing XZ's inner strength to DY is that DY was never stated as having trained his inner strength or techniques (after learning part of Bei Ming and that spell at Tian Long Shi) but XZ was stated to have studied the Ling Jiu murals intensively and benefited greatly from it _after_ he got the 3 big energy transfers.

So if XZ's training gave him even a 10 or 20% boost, thats 10 or 20% on top of about 270 years of elite training by elite masters.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

In addition, one more thing that gets ignored when comparing XZ's inner strength to DY is that DY was never stated as having trained his inner strength or techniques (after learning part of Bei Ming and that spell at Tian Long Shi) but XZ was stated to have studied the Ling Jiu murals intensively and benefited greatly from it _after_ he got the 3 big energy transfers.

So if XZ's training gave him even a 10 or 20% boost, thats 10 or 20% on top of about 270 years of elite training by elite masters.
    幸好他曾蒙无崖子以七十余年的功力相授,三
    个同门的内力旗鼓相当,成了相持不下的局面,[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    This should mean Xuzhu only has about 210+ years of internal given to him, not 270.
    Especially if Lee CS and TSTL delivered 90%.
    72X2+80=224 years

Still no doubt Xuzhu had tremendous internal.
    [/FONT]

If you are handsome and have 7 wives, you don't need or have time to train!

So in conclusion, training suxor.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

You Tanzhi is simply more impressive considering the fact that no one really taught him martial arts - if I remember correctly. Another thing to note, he didn't come from a powerful martial arts sect, school or family.

Duan Yu - Dali royal family, Xuzhu - Shaolin, Guo Jing - under the guidance of 7 Jiangnan Freaks + Quanzhen priests

YTZ came from the quite influential "You" Family, but I don't think they have any martial arts or personnel that could really shake the Wulin fraternity.

YTZ seems to be living around with his riches, a not-into-martial-arts kind of person before the Juxian Manor massacre. Only DY and YTZ (among the four of them) really started martial arts during their teenage years. Between them, YTZ seems more impressive as most moments of his dreaded life are not as lucky as DY.

its a shame you didnt mention shi potian since in my opinion he was the most unlikely hero to attain high level martial arts and all because his shifu wanted him dead with dangerous inner force training

and imho duan yu kills xu shu/hui juk /w/e

Quote Originally Posted by Shi-Potian View Post
    its a shame you didnt mention shi potian since in my opinion he was the most unlikely hero to attain high level martial arts and all because his shifu wanted him dead with dangerous inner force training
    Shi Potian was a prodigy who also happened to be very interested in martial arts. Those qualities combined with the typical luck of a JY main character make his sucess less unlikely than the other people in the poll.

Does anyone remember off-hand the specifics of Tianshan Tonglao's Bahuang Liuhe etc. martial art? Didn't it double her internal energy every X number of years (or was that something else, my memory is kind of hazy on this)? This would give Xu Zhu an even greater sum.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Of these, XZ, since DY could have learned martial arts to an advanced stage but never showed any interest in it. GJ was diligent, maybe too much. And the other guy was just lucky, but not as much as XZ.

All time however I'd have to go ith LPZ. For most of the book I thought he was just gonna be revenge frustrated for his entire life.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    If you are handsome and have 7 wives, you don't need or have time to train!

So in conclusion, training suxor.

Han Solo
    I thought DY ended up with eight wives and that four of them were quadruplets. Oh well

Duan Yu was the one that impressed me most for his dislike of martial arts and his pacifistic nature.