Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you think Wang Yuyan should have ended up with Duan Yu?

Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    I wonder who is decribed as more beautiful, 18 year old Xiaolongnu or 16 year old Wang Yuyan?
    Inevitably, the same actresses will portray both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Inevitably, the same actresses will portray both characters.
    True indeed
    So XLN and WYY are equally beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    No queen or empress. But do not know why. My speculation is that by right, the princess's maid should be the first wife and the queen. Possibly because of her lower status, she has to be made a consort.

Duan Zhengchun started his affairs earlier. It is also strange that her daughters are younger than Duan Yu since Zhengchun's affair is later.
    She only got together with DYQ because she was angry with DZC's many 'girlfriends' so it makes sense that DY gets born later.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I honestly didn't quite like the fact that Duan Yu ended up with so many concubines in the new edition. That just makes his character even more questionable. Which was why I didn't mind when he married just Wang Yuyan even though their development into lovers was a bit weird seeing how she only had eyes for Murong Fu a majority of the time. Also, I thought it was nice that he didn't become his "dad" by staying true to one person. But nope, the new editions didn't make that the case. He ended up becoming just like his dad, collecting lovers around. I mean where the hell did this random Xi Xia maid just drop from? And even worse, all these lovers of his, not even one of them is married as a wife, but are just concubines. Then who the hell is the wife then? ANOTHER random person?

If Wang Yuyan didn't end up with Duan Yu, that would have been fine too, but to end up with the crazy Murong Fu in the end? WHAT?! She had finally freed herself from obsessing over others but she ends up going back? Oh lord! I read somewhere that said the author did that because WYY seemed opportunistic by picking DY when MRF rejected her. However, her choosing MRF in the end in the new edition just makes her seem foolish rather than virtues or whatever. The whole thing about MRF actually loving her is dog shit. He watched her jump down a well possibly to her death and didn't give a damn. He was willing to forgo her and marry a stranger for "his kingdom". They say that in time of despair is when you see people's true colors and he has proven time and time again that what she says and who she is to him doesn't matter. He only treats her nicely when he gets what he wants and has his way but when he doesn't, she matters little to him. Having her never realizing that and going back to him in the end just makes her frustrating. The author was basically willing to turn her character into a foolish person just for "virtue".

I don't think her choosing DY in the end was opportunistic, but just her becoming sensible enough to realize that MRF doesn't care about her and her choosing to be with the one who loves her more. At least we kind of see some character development there for her. Like hey I really liked you and I would have always been there for you even if you were a beggar, but its obvious now that you don't feel that way for me so I'm not going to waste anymore time on trying to make this relationship work. Her character was kind of boring and this was her only moment to shine.

If she didn't end up with DY, then at least let her go and figure out a life for herself instead of one where her only focus is on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottago View Post
    I honestly didn't quite like the fact that Duan Yu ended up with so many concubines in the new edition. That just makes his character even more questionable. Which was why I didn't mind when he married just Wang Yuyan even though their development into lovers was a bit weird seeing how she only had eyes for Murong Fu a majority of the time. Also, I thought it was nice that he didn't become his "dad" by staying true to one person. But nope, the new editions didn't make that the case. He ended up becoming just like his dad, collecting lovers around. I mean where the hell did this random Xi Xia maid just drop from? And even worse, all these lovers of his, not even one of them is married as a wife, but are just concubines. Then who the hell is the wife then? ANOTHER random person?

If Wang Yuyan didn't end up with Duan Yu, that would have been fine too, but to end up with the crazy Murong Fu in the end? WHAT?! She had finally freed herself from obsessing over others but she ends up going back? Oh lord! I read somewhere that said the author did that because WYY seemed opportunistic by picking DY when MRF rejected her. However, her choosing MRF in the end in the new edition just makes her seem foolish rather than virtues or whatever. The whole thing about MRF actually loving her is dog shit. He watched her jump down a well possibly to her death and didn't give a damn. He was willing to forgo her and marry a stranger for "his kingdom". They say that in time of despair is when you see people's true colors and he has proven time and time again that what she says and who she is to him doesn't matter. He only treats her nicely when he gets what he wants and has his way but when he doesn't, she matters little to him. Having her never realizing that and going back to him in the end just makes her frustrating. The author was basically willing to turn her character into a foolish person just for "virtue".

I don't think her choosing DY in the end was opportunistic, but just her becoming sensible enough to realize that MRF doesn't care about her and her choosing to be with the one who loves her more. At least we kind of see some character development there for her. Like hey I really liked you and I would have always been there for you even if you were a beggar, but its obvious now that you don't feel that way for me so I'm not going to waste anymore time on trying to make this relationship work. Her character was kind of boring and this was her only moment to shine.

If she didn't end up with DY, then at least let her go and figure out a life for herself instead of one where her only focus is on others.
    I partly agree with you. While I like Deun Yu's character and think that he's essentially a decent, valiant individual, the way he hooked up with all those young women was a little bit *too* convenient. This is, of course, a frequent trope in wuxia, and Deun Yu is hardly its most egregious offender (Wai Siu Bo), but even so...

Quote Originally Posted by Gottago View Post
    Personally, I like that Jin Yong made the change. A king with just one wife is unrealistic that time. The real Duan Yu was someone that respected tradition. He eventually became a monk like his father before him.