Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeburner View Post
    Now expression, that is EXACTLY what I meant!

I've never seen the new outfits in DW6 before, but this is too much! Most of them has been turned into westerners

1. Zhao Yun should stay a Chinese general, period.
    2. Zhou Yu did NOT wield a staff (or was that a spear? I can't see clearly). His actual weapon was a sword.
    3. Now this is bad from the very beginning. Lady Huang Yue Ying was NOT a warrior I believe in the local legends, she was known for her brain instead of brawn.
    4. Sun Shangxiang was a tomboy. Her old outfit suited her better.
    5. Lu Xun wasn't a pyromaniac for God's sake. And he's not that young. I remember one of the novel's version described him with a moustache and beard.

Koei pisses me off big time.....
    It's not meant to be that historical... but are they any worse than Ma Chao's blonde hair?
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 05-14-08 at 07:39 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Ah yes, the only reason I didn't put Blondie Ma Chao up is that I couldn't find a proper pic.

I don't ask for much. Only that they look kinda Chinese, kinda ancient and kinda aesthetically pleasing. DW5 is satisfactory. DW6 is out of control. They're probably trying to do a total make-over in a desperate attempt to inject freshness into the series, which shows it is really going stale.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    They're probably trying to do a total make-over in a desperate attempt to inject freshness into the series, which shows it is really going stale.
    If they want freshness, put some more playable characters in the game. In Wei, Guo Jia was at least in the same level of intelligence with Sima Yi, yet they didn't put him in. And instead of 'Miss Zhang', they could've put Zhang Bao, who was on par with Guan Xing. On the Wu side, they still have Zhang Zhao.

And... uh, is Ma Chao's hair now blonde? I haven't seen any picture of him too, but just imagining it made me wanna laugh.

But at least it's better than Yue Ying's blonde. Ma Chao originated from Xi Liang, where the Qiangs reside. Perhaps Koei made him a blondie because of this. Plus since Xi Liang consisted mostly of steppes, it's logical that his hair is a little brownish due to the regular exposure to sun light. It shouldn't be blonde, though....

And yes, Guo Xiang, they're mostly worse than Ma Chao's blonde hair. At least in my opinion.
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    I'm not. It's not even history to begin with. To make it even worse, it's not too good as fiction too. I should really try reading the Dream of the Red Chambers to restore my faith in Chinese novels .
    I wouldn't label Romance of the Three Kingdoms a novel. It is indeed a bit dry to read. I haven't managed to finish it yet myself, and I'm a fast and voracious reader.

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

Well, we couldn't really say that Romance of The Three Kingdoms is a novel. I myself can't really what category does it belong to. But, while it's not entirely historical, it was based on historical events. While most of the details were fictional, the main storyline was historical. I think Luo Guanzhong did a good job.

If most of the details are fictional, then, it is a novel. You can say it's a historical novel.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Hmm, I don't have a very good foundation in English, but isn't there any category for lengthy novels? The ones that describes the story of a character from the birth to the death? If there's any, I'd personally think it will suit RoTK more, since the story is simply lengthy.

The thing I dislike the most about Dynasty Warriors is that they've always made Lu Bu the strongest warrior with perfect attributes. In ROTK, Lu Bu did manage to singlehandedly fight with the combination of Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei for around 20 bouts, but that does not necessarily mean he's stronger than the other tiger generals of Shu or Wei like Zhao Yun, Dian Wei, Ma Chao... 'cause in a battle later on, Zhang Fei alone was able to fight him to a standstill. For the character design part, though half of the characters in DW6 are like Caucasians in Chinese or modern clothes, I have to say I like KOEI's ideas, as all of them look hell sexy and cool, especially the female ones, e.g Xiao Qiao and Diao Chan.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/DWDiaoChan.jpg')

Don't know why you guys are not into ROTK. In my opinion it is one of the greatest novels ever written and full of heroic acts, thrilling duels, epic battles. The first several dozens of chapters may be somewhat boring, unfocused, and have too many characters, but try not to give up, as the most interesting things lie in the last two third of the novel where you can see how Zhuge Liang outwitted Cao Cao, Zhou Yu and the whole bunch of Wu and Wei masterminds, how Wu's Lu Xun burnt 400000 Shu soldiers to ashes, how Guan Yu's haughtiness killed himself,...

If you're still not convinced enough to keep reading ROTK, I highly recommend that you guys read Huofeng Liaoyuan (火鳳燎原) instead. This an on-going fantastic ROTK-based comic series with jaw-dropping plot twists authored by Chen Mou (陳某). Download it on the internet, read it, and you'll not regret.
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 08-24-08 at 11:20 AM.

I am not too fond of the DW6 character aesthetic changes either. I prefer the old Lu Bu with his Halberd instead of this swastika spear of his for one.

I wish they had allowed some characters to switch weapons and move sets. e.g. Zhao Yun could choose from his spear or the sword he swiped from Cao Cao.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Ditto. I just bought Warriors Orochi 2 and the old character designs in it give me that heart-warming nostalgic feeling.

I know each historical figure had gone through youth to middle age/old, so there really is no valid ground for complaining how some characters should look younger or older in the game. Still, it feels weird seeing Liu Bei presented as a young demure scholar...

BTW, CC, I hope you've received my PM about the interview?
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by wuyuejin View Post
    The thing I dislike the most about Dynasty Warriors is that they've always made Lu Bu the strongest warrior with perfect attributes.
    Yes, I was thinking about that too. I have bought my copy of RTK XI for PC, and I have played it for some times. I have never gone to a duel against Lu Bu, but someone told me that there is zero possibility in winning over him in a duel. This is because though his stats said 100 WAR, in truth it was almost 150, since KOEI designed him to be undefeated in duels. Now, in RTK XI, there are other unlockable characters from other ages (not from the 3 kingdoms era) who started with 100 WAR. I'll take Xiang Ji for example. And if this rumour is true, then even with him you would still be unable to beat Lu Bu in a duel. Yet, with a lower INT officer, you could win in a debate against Kongming. How very absurd.

I'm currently in the process of watching Red Cliff (trying to watch it in pieces- so as to not fall asleep).

Can anyone guide me as to the authencity of the film's plot vs ROTK literature vs real history?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I'm currently in the process of watching Red Cliff (trying to watch it in pieces- so as to not fall asleep).

Can anyone guide me as to the authencity of the film's plot vs ROTK literature vs real history?

Han Solo
    Can't remember the details anymore. Think my brain is degrading at an early age.

But,

1) Cao Cao's army size was exaggerated.
    2) The scheme to 'borrow' arrows from Cao Cao was hatched by Sun Quan, not Zhuge Liang.

And I don't think Sun Shangxiang played any part in this war ever.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

For gentlemen and ladies who are interested in ROTK, I would like to introduce a very funny website to you: http://san.pengguo.com/index.php?mode=view&view=2. On the website you can read an English ROTK comic strip series. The author of the series, who has a great sense of black humor, has mixed up the details in ROTK the novel with the characters in Dynasty Warriors 6 and his great imagination to create an extremely hilarious comic version of ROTK. There're some stories that are too naughty for female readers to read but generally the series is worth reading, especially if you're open-minded, humorous, and not too conservative.
    2 samples (click to open in larger size):
    1. Lu Bu, Diao Chan, and Dong Zhuo:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6025/san045ks2.th.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img216.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif')

2. Zhao Yun's first appearance:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1235/san038ws4.th.gif')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img234.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif')

Enjoy!
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 10-06-08 at 05:51 AM.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Damn right, those RTK comics are so funny Thanks for sharing the link.

This is only the 3rd one I saw but it's hilarious:

http://san.pengguo.com/index.php?mode=view&view=4

Great art, great humor.
    Good site to find movies:
    http://www.rivercay.org

sun shangxiang looks great
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!