Thread: Challenge: What "normal" computational activities slow down your computer?

Default Challenge: What "normal" computational activities slow down your computer?

Let's say you have a top of the line computer. What "normal" activities that happen on the computer can slow the machine down? By "normal" I simply mean nothing too out of the ordinary. Something out of the ordinary would be running an infinite loop that consumes 100% of your processor.

For me, the thing that slows down my computer--and I would imagine even top of the line computers would suffer the same syndrome--quite a bit, is when it's downloading 10 files simultaneously at the total speed of 0.5 MB per second. All the background applications take a toll.

Another thing is ripping or burning a DVD.

Another thing would be video editing (writing to file).

How about you?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Mine will be anti virus scanning for one. To make it worse, when you are hooked up to a network in the office, backing up activities and automatic updates can drastically slow the computer down (at my workplace, we can't disable auto updates )
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Mostly, it's simultaneous downloads of huge files that slows the machine a bit.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Let's say you have a top of the line computer. What "normal" activities that happen on the computer can slow the machine down? By "normal" I simply mean nothing too out of the ordinary. Something out of the ordinary would be running an infinite loop that consumes 100% of your processor.

For me, the thing that slows down my computer--and I would imagine even top of the line computers would suffer the same syndrome--quite a bit, is when it's downloading 10 files simultaneously at the total speed of 0.5 MB per second. All the background applications take a toll.

Another thing is ripping or burning a DVD.

Another thing would be video editing (writing to file).

How about you?

something that ticks the HDD too much, say winrar extracting 10GB + trying to watch movies or w/e you're trying to do. Today's computer the limit is right at the HDD, it's not fast enough compare to all the other stuff we have.

ya basically anything resource intensive.

My rig is pretty good at multi-tasking. I can usually download and do other things like burn stuff, surf fine. Downloading is more dependent on your line speed. So if ya downloading stuff then surfing will be sluggish. But ofcoz if you have 10 things downloading, computer resource may come into play.

Only when I run big apps like video editing that I notice my computer choking.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Firewall software can slow downloads down since everything passes through it. For large downloads, like new or new software versions, I shut the Firewall software down until the download is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Firewall software can slow downloads down since everything passes through it. For large downloads, like new or new software versions, I shut the Firewall software down until the download is complete.
    THAT is not true.

My computer, as I have said in another thread, is definitely not top of the line. It is probably older than any of your's.

Anyways, back to the topic. Downloading files has going to be the thing that slows down my computer the most. It affects all the programs that doesn't even require internet.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    THAT is not true.
    I guess I should elaborate on this. hehehe

Firewall only blocks or allow access to net. Program doesn't run through it. But....it does count as a process running in the background...which may account for hogging resource.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    I thought the presence of a software firewall speeds up the internet speed, by blocking the unused ports etc., not slowing downloads.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    I guess I should elaborate on this. hehehe

Firewall only blocks or allow access to net. Program doesn't run through it. But....it does count as a process running in the background...which may account for hogging resource.
    Some software firewalls are known to hog quite a substantial amount of resources.
    ..ext88

daily virus scanning.

winrar extracting 10GB + trying to watch movies
    I like that idea.

Let me build on top of that:

Winraring 10 GB of stuff, while watching a high-definition movie, while burning a CD, while doing virus scan, while deframenting the hard drive, while running a web server on your computer, while converting WAVES to MP3s, while running a flash demo in the background, while downloading stuff at the rate of 2 MB/sec....
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

On my windows laptop, I have Encryption Plus + Symantec AntiVirus running.
    Now, if I do a "Disk Cleanup", my machine is bog down.

Encryption Plus => doing decryption
    Symantec AntiVirus => scanning unnecessary
    Disk Cleanup => scanning for garbage/temp/hidden files.

Yikes.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

The windows live update feature is a nightmare. My PC is slow by modern standards as is, but when that stupid program is running, my PC freezes at random spots for minutes on end.

I have that sith disabled (set to manual).
    This account is retired.