Thread: Lousy security by Heavenly Eagle Sect for Mt. Wong Poon Sabre Exhibition

Default Lousy security by Heavenly Eagle Sect for Mt. Wong Poon Sabre Exhibition

I find it very strange in HSDS that during the Mt. Wong Poon Sabre Exhibition, at which the Heavenly Eagle Sect would show off its new acquisition (the infamous Dragon Sabre), the security and representation was so meager.

Getting a hold of the Dragon Sabre was, as we all know, a big deal. It was said that whoever came into possession of the sabre would rule the world. The Heavenly Eagle Sect organized the Mt. Wong Poon Sabre Exhibition precisely to show the world, "Hey! Look at what we've got! Don't mess with us!"

If that's the case, wouldn't you have better security and more prominent sect representation? The Heavenly Eagle Sect *worried* about security (wondering who would try to steal the sabre...which was just about everyone), but did jack about it: they sent Bak Gwai Sau, that other guy who was killed by Tse Tsun, and Yan So So and that was IT (other than no-name guards). Wouldn't an important event like this merit Sect Leader Yan Teen Sing himself? Or at least his son, Lieutenant Sect Leader Yan Yeh Wong? Prestige issues aside, Tse Tsun likely would not have succeeded in stealing the Dragon Sabre if Yan Teen Sing and Yan Yeh Wong had been there (of course, that would have changed the entire course of HSDS).

The way the Heavenly Eagle Sect planned and conducted that exhibition is unfathomable.

I thought the whole meeting was stupid. Why the heck did they want other people to know they had the sabre? So people could steal it?

And even if they did hold a meeting for observing the sabre, why didn't they send stronger people?

Is this an instance of PETUMNS (Plot Elements That Makes No Sense)?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I thought the whole meeting was stupid. Why the heck did they want other people to know they had the sabre? So people could steal it?
    I can kind of understand having the exhibition: since the sabre's power lay in its undiscovered potential, the only way to express or "use" its power was to let the rest of wulin know that the Heavenly Eagle Sect had it. But if they're going to do that, then yeah, they'll risk having it stolen. In that case, the Heavenly Eagle Sect should have sent their best people (i.e. the Sect Leader himself or at least, the Lieutenant Sect Leader) to supervise it. But noooo...they send the much weaker third in command and several mid-level flunkies. *That* was stupid.

And even if they did hold a meeting for observing the sabre, why didn't they send stronger people?
    Exactly. For prestige and security reasons, Sect Leader Yan needed to be there.

Is this an instance of PETUMNS (Plot Elements That Makes No Sense)?
    Probably.

Yea i thought that this meeting warrants Yin Tianzheng to be there. Seriously...

I think the old Yin was on his way there but got caught in a fight with the orthodox sects.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I think the old Yin was on his way there but got caught in a fight with the orthodox sects.
    Or maybe he got detained by customs. They saw the whiteness of his eyebrows and thought he'd been snorting coke.

It would have been interesting had he shown up early. Would Tse Tsun still have gone after the Dragon Sabre? Could he have gotten it with Yan Teen Sing there? Yan's martial arts should be on par with Tse's, and they were old buddies back in the day. Would Tse steal from his buddy?

Xie Xun told Zhang Cuisan that had Yin been there, he wouldn't have shown up for two reasons: MA-wise, they were equals and Xie wouldn't want to fight an old friend.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Xie Xun told Zhang Cuisan that had Yin been there, he wouldn't have shown up for two reasons: MA-wise, they were equals and Xie wouldn't want to fight an old friend.
    Yan Teen Sing's conspicuous absence, therefore, was critical to the way things turned out.

Damn those Yuan Dynasty narcs!

Even if Yin Yewang was there, i dun think XX would get it so easily... or was Yin YW not good then... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I find it very strange in HSDS that during the Mt. Wong Poon Sabre Exhibition, at which the Heavenly Eagle Sect would show off its new acquisition (the infamous Dragon Sabre), the security and representation was so meager.

Getting a hold of the Dragon Sabre was, as we all know, a big deal. It was said that whoever came into possession of the sabre would rule the world. The Heavenly Eagle Sect organized the Mt. Wong Poon Sabre Exhibition precisely to show the world, "Hey! Look at what we've got! Don't mess with us!"

If that's the case, wouldn't you have better security and more prominent sect representation? The Heavenly Eagle Sect *worried* about security (wondering who would try to steal the sabre...which was just about everyone), but did jack about it: they sent Bak Gwai Sau, that other guy who was killed by Tse Tsun, and Yan So So and that was IT (other than no-name guards). Wouldn't an important event like this merit Sect Leader Yan Teen Sing himself? Or at least his son, Lieutenant Sect Leader Yan Yeh Wong? Prestige issues aside, Tse Tsun likely would not have succeeded in stealing the Dragon Sabre if Yan Teen Sing and Yan Yeh Wong had been there (of course, that would have changed the entire course of HSDS).

The way the Heavenly Eagle Sect planned and conducted that exhibition is unfathomable.
    Did not read the book ... but here are my theories

1) Overly confident in ones own power. Perhaps the Heavenly Eagle Sect felt they were above all especially since they have the sword and not anyone else. Also, please take note... the ones invited were small sects and the only one you'd recognize would be the wife and husband swordsmen. Perhaps it was a means of gaining more of the small men to grow. ie "Join us, look what we have, let's conquer under my rule."

2) Yan So So's idea. It could have been a decision solely on her. She's a bit rebellious so it makes sense for her to flaunt her sect in front of brother 5.

3) a bargain with someone who might know what the secret is ...

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Even if Yin Yewang was there, i dun think XX would get it so easily... or was Yin YW not good then... lol
    Yan Yeh Wong was about as powerful as Yu Doi Nam (Mo Dong Hero # 3) prior to Yu's crippling. The combined abilities of Yan Yeh Wong, Yan So So, Cheung Chui San, and Bak Gwai Sau *might* be able to fend off Tse Tsun.