Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    at the moment, i didn't trash them ... but i do feel like there were areas of improvement.

those areas of improvements were where the trashing took place.

ahh - i know i'm going to suffer 2 years, just afraid it might jeopardize my opportunity to take on those raises.

i will update everyone after tomorrow night's event!

a) How do you know that you are going to suffer?
    b) If you think that you are going to suffer, then you shouldn't be working there. No ammount of money can compensate the fact that you are unhappy, that you wake up in the morning and ask yourself why you need to go to work etc.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    a) How do you know that you are going to suffer?
    b) If you think that you are going to suffer, then you shouldn't be working there. No ammount of money can compensate the fact that you are unhappy, that you wake up in the morning and ask yourself why you need to go to work etc.

Han Solo
    I am not sure I'm going to suffer or not, but it's a vibe i received so i'm not sure if it's me being paranoid or me actually experiencing it.

as for how much i enjoy the company, i'm not really sure... i don't think i truly enjoy the accounting work but then again, you never know.

... i don't think i truly enjoy the accounting work but then again, you never know.
    Accounting covers a wide range of job descriptions, and cuts across all industries. Not enjoying one particular job description in one specific industry (or sub-industry) does not mean that other job descriptions in other industries are equally (or more) unenjoyable. There must be something that you like about accounting (even if it's very little) for you to take it as a major and possible career long-term.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Accounting covers a wide range of job descriptions, and cuts across all industries. Not enjoying one particular job description in one specific industry (or sub-industry) does not mean that other job descriptions in other industries are equally (or more) unenjoyable. There must be something that you like about accounting (even if it's very little) for you to take it as a major and possible career long-term.
    I mean, so far it's really not that bad but the whole auditing spectrum isn't exactly my favorite. I find the work not challenging enough intellectually but in terms of time devotion, it demands a lot so perhaps challenging in that aspect.

It's funny, but I selected accounting as a career since it will probably be the major that will get me where I want, the quickest. I'm just born in a bad time where every time i graduate, there's some kind of job market slow down.

I mean, so far it's really not that bad but the whole auditing spectrum isn't exactly my favorite. I find the work not challenging enough intellectually but in terms of time devotion, it demands a lot so perhaps challenging in that aspect.

It's funny, but I selected accounting as a career since it will probably be the major that will get me where I want, the quickest. I'm just born in a bad time where every time i graduate, there's some kind of job market slow down.
    Some industries can be a bit boring to audit (e.g. construction, because things move relatively slowly) while others can be kinda tedious (e.g. retail or electronics manufacturing, where there are many tiny inventory items to sight, etc).

But there are other things that you can do within the accounting industry that does not directly involve external auditing. These include taxation services, corporate secretarial services (which deals with compliance with laws governing corporations) and accounting/management consultancy. On the other side of the "table" (i.e. if you are working for a company whom accounting firms see as a 'client'), you could be involved in financial accounting, cost accounting and internal auditing. You could even work in the accounting department of the accounting firm, and deal with the firm's own accounting needs.

Since you are looking at getting to a certain goal, you could find out which area of accounting would get you to that goal, and work towards it. Then, your major, time and effort will be put to good use.
    Soon ... SOON!

Some industries can be a bit boring to audit (e.g. construction, because things move relatively slowly) while others can be kinda tedious (e.g. retail or electronics manufacturing, where there are many tiny inventory items to sight, etc).

But there are other things that you can do within the accounting industry that does not directly involve external auditing. These include taxation services, corporate secretarial services (which deals with compliance with laws governing corporations) and accounting/management consultancy. On the other side of the "table" (i.e. if you are working for a company whom accounting firms see as a 'client'), you could be involved in financial accounting, cost accounting and internal auditing. You could even work in the accounting department of the accounting firm, and deal with the firm's own accounting needs.

Since you are looking at getting to a certain goal, you could find out which area of accounting would get you to that goal, and work towards it. Then, your major, time and effort will be put to good use.
    what do you say about tax and getting a law degree? i heard it's a new trend but not exactly sure what that yields in the long run. have you heard anything about it?

what do you say about tax and getting a law degree? i heard it's a new trend but not exactly sure what that yields in the long run. have you heard anything about it?
    Tax and law sounds like a good combination, since there will always be a market for tax accountants, especially good ones. Since you're not sure what the yields would be, you might want to consider: (a) how prepared are you to extend your school-life by several more years, in terms of tuition, effort and time? (b) since it's a new trend, are you able to obtain some statistics like what tax accountants are making and what portion of them have law degrees, and what these tax-plus-law chappies are making? You'd have to do a bit more legwork (in a roundabout way) if you want to have a clearer picture of the long-term yields before making a decision.

Personally, I've never really seen myself having a career in tax. Due to the way my degree course was structured, I had to study the tax laws and regulations of 2 different countries to graduate. And if I had gone into tax practice, I would have had to study the tax laws of a third country, and probably in a non-English language as well [::shudders at the thought::] to get the required licence.

Anyways, that's just me. Don't let my dislikes stop you from finding out more about the tax/law combo and how it might fit into your goals.
    Soon ... SOON!

Just grow a pair and take the job offer. Geez. Bloody accountants. No wonder Monty Pythons were so fond of them.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

So, the "weird feelings" towards accountants / Finance people are quite universal, ha ha. No offence, just stating popular views....
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Heh, accounting is a good option. Stable job with career opportunities everywhere. Won't ever starve to death.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Heh, accounting is a good option. Stable job with career opportunities everywhere. Won't ever starve to death.
    one of the few reasons why i like accounting ...

but i'm really a finance person and i love how the market works. unfortunately, couldn't really do investment banking without the proper accounting courses needed.

I know how that goes, if you wrote something negative on the survey other people will find out. It's human nature to see the bad, on the other hand if you wrote all good things none of those other people that shouldn't know about it would have heard.

I think if there's bad feelings then you should search for other opportunites. I am my experience is different than yours though. The office I work in is very small, only a hand full of people work there. There's this person that's getting on my last nerve, worries about stuff too much. That person acts like I should drop what I'm doing and do what they need right this second and it's like there's no need to be that worried about it. All the thing we had to do was for the CFO he was going to have a meeting involving it, but since it's just editing what we already did it doesn't take hours so I don't see the need to panic about it like this person. We had hours before it was needed to be done and the person comes out to make sure I'm doing it and it's like oh my gosh get a grip because it was just editing a few numbers even the slowest person in the world didn't need five hours for it!!

Tax and law sounds like a good combination, since there will always be a market for tax accountants, especially good ones. Since you're not sure what the yields would be, you might want to consider: (a) how prepared are you to extend your school-life by several more years, in terms of tuition, effort and time? (b) since it's a new trend, are you able to obtain some statistics like what tax accountants are making and what portion of them have law degrees, and what these tax-plus-law chappies are making? You'd have to do a bit more legwork (in a roundabout way) if you want to have a clearer picture of the long-term yields before making a decision.

Personally, I've never really seen myself having a career in tax. Due to the way my degree course was structured, I had to study the tax laws and regulations of 2 different countries to graduate. And if I had gone into tax practice, I would have had to study the tax laws of a third country, and probably in a non-English language as well [::shudders at the thought::] to get the required licence.

Anyways, that's just me. Don't let my dislikes stop you from finding out more about the tax/law combo and how it might fit into your goals.
    Ahhhhh - Can I just stay in school forever????

pandamao - Breathe, relax.

So I am assuming you are concerned that 1) the company won't hire you 2) whether to accept the offer if one is coming.

In response to issue 1) - I'm pretty sure you are over analyzing the situation. But even if they do withdraw the offer based on a survey (which I think is unfair and you shouldn't work for a company like that anyway), it won't be the end of the world. Accounting jobs are not exactly scarce and you'll find another position.

2) - If they do offer you the job, take it. HuangYushi listed some mighty good points and it would be a wasted opportunity if you decline. Do your time for 2 years and split if things don't work out. The company can't be all bad. Just focus on certain good points while you work there.

K, now go to sleep

but i'm really a finance person and i love how the market works. unfortunately, couldn't really do investment banking without the proper accounting courses needed.
    A-ha! Now we are talking! So how much more work (in terms of courses) do you have to do before you can do investment banking? Also, have you ever considered being a certified financial planner (or its equivalent; I do not know what it is called in your country)? I almost went in that direction during the final year of my degree, but decided otherwise after I realised that I was several years ahead of the market and would not be able to find a related job for several after graduation.

Ahhhhh - Can I just stay in school forever????
    Sure you can!
    You could:
    (a) get a job in the accounting department of a school, college or university.
    (b) get a teaching job at a school, college or university.
    Then you can earn a living and stay in school at the same time, for as long as you want ... or are wanted.
    Soon ... SOON!

A-ha! Now we are talking! So how much more work (in terms of courses) do you have to do before you can do investment banking? Also, have you ever considered being a certified financial planner (or its equivalent; I do not know what it is called in your country)? I almost went in that direction during the final year of my degree, but decided otherwise after I realised that I was several years ahead of the market and would not be able to find a related job for several after graduation.

Sure you can!
    You could:
    (a) get a job in the accounting department of a school, college or university.
    (b) get a teaching job at a school, college or university.
    Then you can earn a living and stay in school at the same time, for as long as you want ... or are wanted.
    I'm almost finished with my masters in accounting but i'm probably going into public accting for a couple of years and then move on over to industry ... sounds so mundane. really wish i can see some investment banking in my future but finance is long gone ;(