Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Isn't it unhealthy to lose that much in a month?
    KangIn of Super Junior lost about 30kg in ONE MONTH before his debut back in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    IMO, diet > exercise when it comes to weight loss. If you want to be toned and have what I'd consider a nice body, you need to exercise, but from my observations, everyone I know who is overweight eats more than I do, and not healthily either.

Aw, don't do that...the real point of losing weight is to be healthier and live longer anyway! Although I won't lie - I'm vain as hell and the aesthetic part is much more appealing. But I do advise that you don't cut on sleep. I read an article the other day on how when you sleep you produce leptin, which is important for curbing the appetite. Also when I don't sleep enough I'm sore as hell and even raising my head hurts, let alone the three miles they make us run.

Oh yeah, about your elliptical question, I don't know how many miles it is, but I suggest you don't think too much over the number because many ellipticals count distance through rotations, so it's more like biking than running. Also, the elliptical supposedly burns a lot of calories, but from my experiences it's not nearly as difficult as just running around the track.

And don't worry guys. One day I'll invent some sort of fat transplant so 60% of America can donate fat to impoverished children.
    Hmm - please develop it ASAP. I'll be your lab rat.

Btw - any good exercises to work on arms, back, tummy i got the leg muscles down !!!!
    Last edited by pandamao; 04-23-08 at 11:37 PM.

Maybe try circuit training...see if your gym offers it. It's intense but it sheds weight like mad. If your doing your own thing, I'd recommend doing some weights prior to cardio. Chances are you wont gain too much mass and only lean muscle, unless you are eating a wack of protein and calories. The end result is a better looking physique as well as an elevated metabolism.

I also hear that going at 70 percent heart rate(do a program that changes incline/speed) for 30-45 min is better than 20 min of intense running. Fat is stored energy so you have to go through your calories first.

And diet is just as important as anything you do in the gym. 5-6 small meals(if you are that dedicated) with protein in each meal, all before 8 o'clock.

good luck!
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    I've never thought about the miles before. All I know is that 30mins non-stop on the elliptical will burn at least 500 calories.
    150 cal per 8 min miles, less speed = less energy. so if you're doing 12 min miles you probably hit less than 500, that's actually regular contact running, i'm pretty dam sure it's takes less energy on a machine due to lower frictions... at any rate, I have not seen a whole lot of adults that can do ~6 min miles, and certain not at that speed for 30 min... maybe all my friends are fat haha.

Yes I will invent fat transplants someday, pandamao, so all you dieters can just relax and wait for me to get out of med school (if I ever get in, but then again, Bill Gates never completed his degree so education is overrated). But honestly, they can transplant hearts, livers, kidneys...why not fat? Then I will be RICH ("better than liposuction - be a humanitarian and lose weight at the same time") and then get fat myself because I'll eat and sleep all day and get my own fat transplant.
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    150 cal per 8 min miles
    Wa sai! A couple months ago I did a diet report and my calorie calculator told me I only burn a little more than 80 calories running a mile in 7 mins!

So with that said, I'd agree with warlock's analysis on the elliptical. I think at least 500 is a bit of an overestimate, considering the machine does a chunk of the work for you...unless you go on highest resistance/incline and go at the same speed as if you were on the lowest resistance? Even then I don't think so...the elliptical people advertise 700-800 calories an hour. The best bet is to use the calorie tracker on your machine if there is one though, since factors like your weight definitely play a part (taller people have the advantage, like in 98% of things ).

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    KangIn of Super Junior lost about 30kg in ONE MONTH before his debut back in 2005.
    That's either water weight or exaggerated, or likely a combination of both. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound...30 kg = 66 lbs x 3500 = 231000 calories, which means you needed to have had a 7700 calorie deficit per day. Assuming he slept and ate, he would have to run 10 hours a day at a 6 min/mile to lose that kind of weight completely in fat. And it's definitely not healthy to lose that much weight. Experts say 2-3 lbs a week of fat.
    Last edited by Sparky; 04-24-08 at 03:51 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    That's either water weight or exaggerated, or likely a combination of both. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound...30 kg = 66 lbs x 3500 = 231000 calories, which means you needed to have had a 7700 calorie deficit per day. Assuming he slept and ate, he would have to run 10 hours a day at a 6 min/mile to lose that kind of weight completely in fat. And it's definitely not healthy to lose that much weight. Experts say 2-3 lbs a week of fat.
    i'll find the vdo on youtube for you. suju went on that star king show and there was this other girl who used to be over weight and she was showing off her new look to guys that used to pick on her. and then suju said that kangin lost about 30kg in a month before debut. and kangin confirmed it cause he was standing right there. and i believe in kangin, he won't lie to me.

Just as an FYI, jogging/cardio never burns pure fat, especially if you run fast.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I lost 5 pounds by stressing out and losing sleep. I pulled about 2 all-nighters and after binge eating...gone 5 pounds!

I wonder if there's more unhealthy ways for me to turn stick thin like those anorexic models whohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    I lost 5 pounds by stressing out and losing sleep. I pulled about 2 all-nighters and after binge eating...gone 5 pounds!

I wonder if there's more unhealthy ways for me to turn stick thin like those anorexic models whohoo!
    ummm wow! did you do that just to lose weight? that's sad man.

my suggestion on losing weight and keeping it off is to join a gym and actually go at least 4 times a week. and when you're there do a little of everything for a good 30 minutes of each.

Yes, yes, it's all because I wanted to lose weight. And I'm never going to sleep from now on....then I can turn into ashes!

Yes, yes, it's all because I wanted to lose weight. And I'm never going to sleep from now on....then I can turn into ashes!
    dude that doesn't work man.
    i get 3-4 hours of sleep a night and i still weigh the same!
    i only lose weight when i spend an extra day at the gym a week for like a month. maybe it's cause i eat a lot.

But you gotta agree w/ me....if I never sleep, then I'm gonna eventually die, and then I'll definitely weigh less after all the water evaporates from my body!

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    150 cal per 8 min miles, less speed = less energy. so if you're doing 12 min miles you probably hit less than 500, that's actually regular contact running, i'm pretty dam sure it's takes less energy on a machine due to lower frictions... at any rate, I have not seen a whole lot of adults that can do ~6 min miles, and certain not at that speed for 30 min... maybe all my friends are fat haha.
    Well, call me hard core, but once upon a time when I was counting every calories, I was able to burn 400 calories on a bad day and 500 on a super good day within the 30mins time frame on the elliptical. The machine tracked the calories burned, so that's how I know. It was like racing against the machine, I tell ya. It's not impossible. One just has to be crazily determined. Thanks goodness, that faze is long over.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    Well, call me hard core, but once upon a time when I was counting every calories, I was able to burn 400 calories on a bad day and 500 on a super good day within the 30mins time frame on the elliptical. The machine tracked the calories burned, so that's how I know. It was like racing against the machine, I tell ya. It's not impossible. One just has to be crazily determined. Thanks goodness, that faze is long over.
    the machine is wrong, you probably lost 300~ in 30 min, machine tend to blow numbers up quite a bit. But you probably lost more than 500 on that day because of the higher metabolism rate after you left the machine, the time "after exercise" will also burn calories as much as the exercise itself, that's why it's probably better to exercise "regularly" than to do it crazy style once a week.

I have a question..if you exercise like that, won't you get super hungry? Then you end up eating it all back...

I have a question..if you exercise like that, won't you get super hungry? Then you end up eating it all back...
    no, you can consume enough by eating longer. Normally you need very little food, but the brain don't regconize that you're "full" until 10-12 min after you started eating. So with fast eating habbit, people tend to consume alot more than they need, one good way is to fight the hunger, eat a bit, drink some water and wait, you'll feel full in about 10 min. This is why sport player likes to eat little but often, it keeps the metabolism up without creating extra calories.

Hmm...because I hate wasting time eating, so I spend about 10 min eating food...maybe that's why.

Hmm...because I hate wasting time eating, so I spend about 10 min eating food...maybe that's why.
    me too, that's why I eat small portion, and not till i'm "full"... that way I can eat often and not worry, but it'll make alot of dirty dishes ... I was never taught to eat slow, at home at school, you snooze you loose haha, i remember running my *** off in middle school every time the lunch bell rang.

But you gotta agree w/ me....if I never sleep, then I'm gonna eventually die, and then I'll definitely weigh less after all the water evaporates from my body!
    ummm but do you want to die?

speaking of all-nighter - about to pull one tonight. so going to fail the exam tomorrow. crap!

why is this so hard?!?1