Thread: June 30 the deadline for XP

Default June 30 the deadline for XP

Microsoft has made the decision to stop selling WinXP after July 30 this year.

What's your take on this issue and upgrading to Vista if you had to?

Oh and some companies are trying to work around the deadline with a loophole in Microsoft's Licensing terms http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7370821.stm

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    Microsoft has made the decision to stop selling WinXP after July 30 this year.

What's your take on this issue and upgrading to Vista if you had to?

Oh and some companies are trying to work around the deadline with a loophole in Microsoft's Licensing terms http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7370821.stm
    but um...just bcuz they stop selling XP...does not mean you have to upgrade to Vista.

But what I don't like is Microsoft trying to control and force everyone to use Vista via programs that only work for Vista i.e. when Halo 2 the game came out.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Microsoft well knows the flaws in Vista and is fighting a lawsuit over the fact that many lower end computers that were certified as Vista capable actually weren't and MS and the computer mfrs knew it. MS is pushing hard to have the first versions of Windows 7 [Vista's replacement] out in late 2009 [of course it will be late as usual]. You can keep track of a lot on this subject on this site: http://www.dailyrotation.com/
    Don't overlook the many links listed at the bottom of the page to find out more.
    By the way, SP3 for XP will be out soon.
    Last edited by JamesG; 04-30-08 at 02:31 PM.

SP3 was supposed to be released for auto updates yesterday on the 29th but as usual some issues were brought up and is delayed until june 10th.

my new laptop has no XP driver, that crap is gonna get send back if drivers don't appear soon. OMG i hate vista

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    ....made to use XP. Since I've switched to Vista, nearly all the programs/applications I wanted to use had its' complications. Most of them weren't compatible with Vista. Not only that, but I absolutely hate MS Words 2007. I have to figure this stuff all out again cause they totally revamped it. Nero 8 has been a problem for me and MSN Messenger is crappy most of the time on Vista.

Stupid MS is forcing this operating system on us like they force most things down our throats. Mark my words. The next laptop I buy will be a MAC!
    What kind of applications are'nt compatible? I have an XP and two windows 2000 computers and I don't intend to switch to Vista. question: can a software made for Vista be used with old O.S?I don't think Apple treats its customers any better. I was using it and although the computer was friendlier than Windows, the accessories were expensive and I had very few choices.Maybe someone smart can start a free OS. Smart I say, don't suggest me.

Free OS is already available.
    Check out the Linux family of OS's.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I've been using Vista for more than a year, I had been through minor crashes, semi-minor crashes, bugs and random problems here and there, but nothing so major that can't be solved with Google search and cursing. This is eerily similar to the 5/6 years that I used XP. When I first started using Vista, some programs were incompaible but soon everything else was working fine, as much as everybody hates Vista and Microsoft in general, folks still churn out compatible programs pretty fast.

I don't really see how XP works better than Vista or vice versa, then again I am no computer expert. The change is not really that painful, at least it much less painful now that when Vista first became available.

That said, I would really prefer to use a Mac, unfortunately, it is way too expensive for me

The shitty aspect is that new PCs and laptops will likely be equipped with Vista. And BaiQi clamied that he wouldn't switch back to XP easily.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Crazy. Isn't it too early to phase out XP now as Vista is still quite new and riddled with problems?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Crazy. Isn't it too early to phase out XP now as Vista is still quite new and riddled with problems?
    That's Microsoft for you! I believe XP will now be supported until early next year and additional support beyond that point may cost you $.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Free OS is already available.
    Check out the Linux family of OS's.
    Ubuntu would be a great choice.
    Last edited by Extremer88; 06-18-08 at 02:12 AM.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Ubuntu woud be a great choice.
    I have used UNIX and LINUX ( red hat) but still can't beat WINDOWS if you're not a computer jock. I have'nt tried UBUNTU.

Windows rules. You can flame Micr$oft and Bill Gate$, but at the end of the day, there is an MS Product that you cannot live with out.

I'd never recommend Linux to anybody. It's for the geeks and non conformists

This is a little known fact - the best Microsoft OS is actually their server equivalent. Windows Server 2003 > XP, Windows Server 2008 > Vista. Server OS is optimised for performance and stability.

I'm currently using Windows Server 2008 as a "super" workstation. It's faster than Vista even though it's based on the same kernel as Vista.
    Last edited by u4ria; 06-22-08 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

never used vista but heard many problems with it. happy with my win xp.
    i think u can live without, just not worth it cuz no better alternative - everything is windows compatible, hardware and software.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot View Post
    i think u can live without, just not worth it cuz no better alternative - everything is windows compatible, hardware and software.
    yes you can live without using windows - but there is a reason why 'everything is windows compatible'

Windows Vista is very difficult. My friend use Vista in my office, but Loading and operating programme Vista is very slowly and need big memory. I don't like Vista.

It won't make a difference to me since I still use Windows 2000 <333

However, when I got my new laptop, I did specifically have them install Windows XP and not Vista.

And this from the Microsoft Watch site:
    "Bill answers the important question that many businesses are asking about XP: Will Microsoft continue support? He writes:

'We will continue to provide security updates and other critical updates for Windows XP until April, 2014. Our ongoing support for Windows XP is the result of our recognition that people keep their Windows-based PCs for many years and a reflection of our commitment to provide the highest level of support for all our customers.'"