Thread: Which is the better Hana Kimi (Taiwan or Japan)?

Default Which is the better Hana Kimi (Taiwan or Japan)?

I just finished watching two Hana Kimi versions, one starring Ella and Wu Zun (Taiwan) and one starring Maki Horikita and Shun Oguri (Japan)

Although both series proved to be really entertaining in their own rights, I believe the Taiwan version edged out a bit over the Japanese series because 1) the storyline and sequences made more sense) 2) the comedic scenes were funnier 3) the actors had better chemistry, mainly due to Ella, who simply shone in her role as Lu Rui Xi, the number one fan of Zuo Yi Quan, a former high jumper who quit the sport for unknown reasons. Jiro Wang who played Xiu Yi also made a strong impact with his role which contributed to the level of energy of the series, sustaining it until the end.

The Japanese version, although it retained the feel of the original manga, was more sober than its Taiwanese counterpart. Most of the scenes that should have been funny fell flat probably because Maki seemed uneasy with her role as a girl disguised as a boy in Osaka High. Shun Oguri, on the other hand, fit his role to a T. Tohma Ikuta was also not bad as Nakatsu Shuichi, although there were times when he thinks to himself for long periods of time while he gestures around wildly which kind of gets to your nerves once in awhile.

So who's your bet? Taiwan or Japan? Your call

taiwan's hana kimi rocks! though the japanese girl is prettier....
    watching tv take stresses away. love it!

Talking Taiwan!!!

I like Taiwan more, even thur i didnt watch Japan hana kimi yet. I love Jiro...He so funny...^_^
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z77/MyPrivateCloud/Jiro%20Wang/JIRO6.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/jesley_acute/jiro9.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/jesley_acute/jiro4.jpg')
    he is so funny^_^
    BIG Fan of Jiro

The Jap one is better at the emotional aspects. The taiwanese one is instantly funnier but the Jap one does grow on you. I find the Japanese mian leads comprising Toma, Shun and Maki to be suitably cast becasue they handle their characters well but I get what you mean when you said Maki is much more sobre than Ella...actually, I am not sure what the ideal Mizuki should be like since have never read the manga but I think Shun is much more convincing than Wu Zun and I find Toma and Jiro both very good in the role of Nakatsu.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    The Jap one is better at the emotional aspects. The taiwanese one is instantly funnier but the Jap one does grow on you. I find the Japanese mian leads comprising Toma, Shun and Maki to be suitably cast becasue they handle their characters well but I get what you mean when you said Maki is much more sobre than Ella...actually, I am not sure what the ideal Mizuki should be like since have never read the manga but I think Shun is much more convincing than Wu Zun and I find Toma and Jiro both very good in the role of Nakatsu.
    yup, actually, Shun is the better actor in a race between him and Wu Zun. I actually liked the Japanese ending better because it had more closure but towards the end, the thing I didnt like was the long monologue of all the people who wanted to say goodbye to Mizuki... I think they should've used the time to build up the scene between her and Sano.

I also agree that both Nakatsus are really good. i havent read the manga either but I liked both series so I have no complaints

i personally like the japanese version better. but jiro and toma did so well as nakatsu. also, the taiwanese hana kimi had the character julia, who was perfect with jiro. i really didn't like ella's acting at all.
    Currently watching:

• We got married
    • Moonlight Resonance
    • and many more...

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY, HOPE FOR TOMORROW."

I am all for the Taiwanese version, maybe because I liked the comedy much better that way. It didn't get to sappy... I shudder when I think what a KOREAN remake of HanaKimi would be like. 12 episodes, the last 6 are all emotional and most of the cast gets killed tragically.

Well, ELLA has my vote. And I love the theme song :-D

I liked the Taiwanese version better. The Japanese version had too many irrelevant plot points rather than focusing on the relationship between the two leads. There was a stronger relationship and cuter scenes in the Taiwanese version.

I like... neither. I was probably expecting too much from both series to entertain me as much as the manga, however in terms of both casting and acting, none of the actors/actresses really seems to fit the bill well enough for my liking.

Much of comedy moments turn out unfunny in the JP version, Maki was too wooden to be a likeable Miyuki, Toma was pretty good, Shun's aura can't quite match Sano. In the TW version, Ella was completely off the mark as Miyuki, the guy who played Nakatsu was over the top while Wu Zun was wooden as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    ... I shudder when I think what a KOREAN remake of HanaKimi would be like. 12 episodes, the last 6 are all emotional and most of the cast gets killed tragically.

I hope I never see the day when there's a Korean version of the show.

I haven't seen the Japanese version so I can't comment on that one, but I absolutely hated the taiwanese Hana Kimi. Was such a waste of time, a storyline which lead to ..........no where, characters that achieved nothing, scenes that made no sense (ie. that whole gay comp and when all the "guys" dressed as girls?), a lot of day-dreaming scenes which were cute/funny in the first hour but got annoying as hell for the rest of the series, I didn't even get entertainment value! I don't even know how I managed to watch it all, well maybe it was cas I kept hoping something would actually happen, but sadly it never did.

I'm actually gonna vote for the Japanese version, cas I haven't seen it!
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

the japanese version is way better!!
    theres really no need to compare becuase japan's version is amazing!
    kiuta toma was way funnier than jiro.
    maki is so much better of an actress than ella.
    also oguri shun acting was way better than wu zun's exagerrated faces.
    japan all the way

Quote Originally Posted by kolanie View Post
    I like Taiwan more, even thur i didnt watch Japan hana kimi yet.
    Why did you even reply if you've never even seen the Japanese version yet?

Though I did enjoy both, I did like the Japanese version more. I like the chemistry between the rest of the cast more, and they seemed to portray their respective manga counterparts better than the Taiwanese version. As for the main character of Mizuki, I felt that neither Ella nor Maki really captured the MIzuki in the manga, but my vote goes to Maki if I had to choose.

having watched both, and read the manga.

i would say the Japanese version was better in most aspect, except it bordered between lapstick humor and melodrama to many times.

the taiwanese version had a very cheery feel to it, the sun was always shining and everyone was happy kind of feel.

while the japanese one had more dark overtones, the arguments between Sano and Mizuki where better played out and much more heartfelt then the taiwanese. i would put this more with acting as the leads in the japanese one could act compared to the taiwanese version.

compared both to the manga, Taiwan may follow the plot but nothing else, the characters were all screwed up and Ella (my sisters godess) is nothing like the girlish Miyuki in the manga.

Maki although captured alot of Miyuki's traits, she however had a sense of maturity and sadness that wasn't evident in the manga.

for Sano, Wu Zhu looked althletic but didn't have the fire or the cold jerk-ness that Sano had, add to that he coudl barely act, it just wasn't Sano at all. he was just a nice guy.

Shun Oguri seemed like the perfect fit, with his type of background in acting, i had never doubted he could carry out the role, and he did, in spades. he added to the character what the manga never conveyed, his Sano was burdened and emotionally scared, it didn't detract from the character only added as it was an expected outcome for someone in Sano's position. Sano is still a teenager who reach his peek in his early teens and now fears he may not keep up with expectation, using his injured foot as an excuse.

Nakatsu as potrayed by Jiro is comical, i don't recall Nakatsu being such a looney and although he was fun to watch he was not Nakatsu. Unfortunately, he was never a match for Wu Zhu who had more chemistry with Ella and seemed a better fit, also a better guy.

Tohma Ikuta as nakatsu was not really to my liking and i didn't warm up to his character until he found out about Miyuki and Sano, the hurt he protrayed was so belivable that i had almost wished we could split Miyuki in two so that both guys would not be hurt.

the plot to both series differ somewhat from the manga, however the taiwanese one has less change then the japanese.

but as a plot goes, i've never been a fan of hana kimi much as the plot was quite boring and just dragged on and on, it also had less drama then i would expected it to have.

i did like some of the change in the japanese version, one was the change to who Sano had saved tat faithful night, giving Miyuki a more likeble reason for turning up and it also puts another stone in there path.

the little lime light given to the gay guy who was in love with the head of their dorm was also quite touching, he's crying scene was done quite well and you felt sorry for him. after that you feel more sorry for the dorm head.

and the best thing about the japanese versino is its only 12 episodes. worst thing about it is it hasn't ended, a second season is said to be made in the future. wished the hurried it up.
    Last edited by Linda; 10-18-08 at 04:20 AM.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Actually they've already filmed the special awhile back, but I have no idea if it's released yet.

tats wat i heard too but haven't seen anything out.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.