Thread: High budget Vs Low budget series

Default High budget Vs Low budget series

I personally think high budget series often doesn't that much better.... I would say most of series from the golden 80s of TVB are very low budget compare with series from the mainland china. I would say storyline, acting, and dialogue are the most important that make the series great, everything else is pretty much secondary. Beautiful sceneries and war scenes with thousand of soldiers are bonus but do little good to the series... Couple dozen soldiers for war scene is good enough...

If you compare the low budget of DGSD82, LOCH82, ROCH84, and HSDS86 of TVB to the mega budget of mainland china version, TVB's version still beat them hand down...

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I personally think high budget series often doesn't that much better.... I would say most of series from the golden 80s of TVB are very low budget compare with series from the mainland china. I would say storyline, acting, and dialogue are the most important that make the series great, everything else is pretty much secondary. Beautiful sceneries and war scenes with thousand of soldiers are bonus but do little good to the series... Couple dozen soldiers for war scene is good enough...

If you compare the low budget of DGSD82, LOCH82, ROCH84, and HSDS86 of TVB to the mega budget of mainland china version, TVB's version still beat them hand down...
    Two words.

GREAT FOR YOU

Shouldn't this be in debate or something?

Default High Bidget vs Low Budget

I think that this is an interesting thread. In my opinion high budget movies have more of a tendency to be over the top. However if the movie is low budget the costumes tend to be really bad. So I think it really depends.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

I would say storyline, acting, and dialogue are the most important that make the series great, everything else is pretty much secondary.
    I agree. Sometimes money isn't everything in movies.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

As for debating, which is better low budget or high budget series? Lately, more adaptions are being remake again, for example The Romance of the Three Kingdoms 08-09. I really hope they would extra time on remaking this historic epic, instead of speeding it up, like ROCH 06'. I don't mind that adaption to be spend up, if this adaption is speed-up OMG, this series going to be a flop!

Trien Chieu, is correct on the importance of the storyline, must have equal elements, in making it flow well together. Without the storyline, then it might as well be a comedy series all together because debators will just labeled it a big joke; look at all the errors and miscastings.

In making sure, the big budgets should be allocated towards correct settings/history records, acting, make-up artists, designers, etc. Then, I would say, I'd agreed with big budgets; overall I like both.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

One need look no further than the three STAR WARS movies released between 1977-1983 and the three STAR WARS movies released between 1999-2005 to see evidence of this phenomenon.

The original STAR WARS (1977) was shot on a spartan budget. It ended up capturing the imaginations of an entire generation and spawned an unprecedented pop culture sensation. The two subsequent films, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980) and RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983) enjoyed somewhat bigger budgets thanks to the success of the original film, but the special effects of the early 1980s, as impressive as they were then, pale compared to what is available to filmmakers in the 21st Century.

THE PHANTOM MENACE (1999), ATTACK OF THE CLONES (2002), and REVENGE OF THE SITH were made with budgets many times greater than available to the first three STAR WARS films, but although these three "Prequels" performed well at the box office, they have been subject to far more criticism than the original three films ever did. For all the razzle-dazzle in EPISODES I, II, and III that George Lucas could only *dream* of doing back when he made EPISODES IV, V, and VI, the audiences, to this day, prefer the relatively lower-tech STAR WARS movies of the Seventies and Eighties to the more recent films. The general consensus among these fans is that the older movies, despite the relative primitivity of their special effects and lower budgets, had some intangible quality called "heart" that the newer, more technically sophisticated films lacked.

I feel the same way about newer remakes of wuxia adaptations.

Put it this way. There are many more crappy TV series and movies with a low budget, compared to movies with a high budget. ie higher tendency to fail.

Ok, let me put it this way. It's not really fair comparing the budgets of movies made now and movies made twenty years ago. Of course older movies are going to have lower budgets. There's something called inflation. Empire Strikes Back was made with 33 mil, a pretty massive budget for the time. It was a blockbuster of its day. And although it was much better received than the prequels, that's not really a matter of low budget vs high budget. Both the original Star Wars and the prequel trilogy are considered high budget movies, just in different time periods. If one really wants to compare low budget and high budget, one should compare movies from the same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Put it this way. There are many more crappy TV series and movies with a low budget, compared to movies with a high budget. ie higher tendency to fail.
    This is not true....
    Series of TVB during the 80s are mostly low budget, limitted special effects, lack of sceneries and ect... but most of them are good to decent with few bad ones. They are still way better than recent mega budget series made by mainland china...

This is not true....
    Series of TVB during the 80s are mostly low budget, limitted special effects, lack of sceneries and ect... but most of them are good to decent with few bad ones. They are still way better than recent mega budget series made by mainland china...
    Hey buddy, try reading my post.

^ Forget it. Your post is pretty much lost on him.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    ^ Forget it. Your post is pretty much lost on him.
    Maybe I should just leave him alone.

This is not true....

I was thinking more like the ENTIRE list of movies and series ever made. I imagine there will be more good movies and series made out of larger budgets than low-budgets.

I agree with. I dont think that all high budget movies are always better. The things that matter here are theme, acting etc. Many times it happenesthat a low budget movie beats the high budget.