View Poll Results: Will the Beijing Olympics be a success?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 80.00%
  • No

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics - will they be a success or failure?

Default Beijing Olympics - will they be a success or failure?

It's been controversial, and many years in the making, and in just a little over a week, it'll be HERE. Do you predict the Beijing Olympics to be a success that will elevate China's global status, or will it be a trainwreck that will expose China's deficiencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's been controversial, and many years in the making, and in just a little over a week, it'll be HERE. Do you predict the Beijing Olympics to be a success that will elevate China's global status, or will it be a trainwreck that will expose China's deficiencies?
    If China continues to limit foreign media access, than it will fail I think. Already journalists are complaining of lack of access as promised.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

But then when you have korean station sbs sneaking in to the opening ceremony rehearsal, you'd think the restriction is warranted.

It will probably not be the opposite of not a successful failure.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I'm giving China the benefit of the doubt, and say that they will perform well. But if something goes horribly wrong, then I wouldn't be suprised either.

I think it will be a success in term of name recognition and it will elevate china's global status. However, it will be financially failure. We live in the post 9/11 world, so it will cost billions of dollars for security.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-01-08 at 04:26 PM.

But it's China...I highly doubt that any terrorist would want to mess with China.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    But it's China...I highly doubt that any terrorist would want to mess with China.
    Are you sure about this. China has been attacked by terrorists numerous time but they won't make front page news because they are in small scale. For the terrorists who's willing to die hoping they will marry 72 virgins, do you think they afraid of china??

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...f-dd9fb408c3e9
    China.'Terrorist cell' in Shanghai foiled
    Canwest News Service
    Published: Friday, July 25, 2008
    China says it has broken up an "international terrorist cell" that was plotting an attack against an Olympics soccer qualifying game in Shanghai. "We have staged raids and cracked a group of terrorists," state media quoted Cheng Jiulong, head of the city's Olympic security bureau, as saying.

Some would say its success depends on the city's air quality. I don't know but Beijing insists they will put everything right for the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Are you sure about this. China has been attacked by terrorists numerous time but they won't make front page news because they are in small scale. For the terrorists who's willing to die hoping they will marry 72 virgins, do you think they afraid of china??

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...f-dd9fb408c3e9
    Where did the news mention the 72 virgins thingy?? Did my eyes miss something or are you imagining too much?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Where did the news mention the 72 virgins thingy?? Did my eyes miss something or are you imagining too much?
    The news doesn't mention about 72 virgins. However, I heard from the news report that's what some terrorists believe in... Maybe terrorists from middle east and china aren't believing in the same thing with the different goal, but I doubt that terrorists from china would afraid of the chinese government. If they do, they would not choose to become a terrorist...

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
    The suicide bombers themselves, and even some of the mid-level terrorists, absolutely believe they're going to paradise, where they will be met by 72 dark-eyed virgins

I think it will be a success in term of name recognition and it will elevate china's global status. However, it will be financially failure. We live in the post 9/11 world, so it will cost billions of dollars for security.
    That's no bulletin. Olympic security has been serious since after the 1972 Munich games when the Black September terrorists killed a number of Israeli athletes. As for Olympic Games making money...well, the only time the modern Olympics ever turned up a surplus was the 1984 Los Angeles games.

That's no bulletin. Olympic security has been serious since after the 1972 Munich games when the Black September terrorists killed a number of Israeli athletes. As for Olympic Games making money...well, the only time the modern Olympics ever turned up a surplus was the 1984 Los Angeles games.
    I believe Calgary in '88 was also successful.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    But then when you have korean station sbs sneaking in to the opening ceremony rehearsal, you'd think the restriction is warranted.
    I'm not talking about that kind of access. The Chinese authorities promised that foreign journalists could interview anyone they wish as long as the person agrees. So far, it hasn't been the case at all. There has been many complains by foreign medias already about China not keeping their promise.

China won't get name recognition if they continue to censor and limit foreign media. There's a very good chance that its reputation will get even worse.

I think the games will be a success. How that success will be measured is debatable. Financially, the games themselves will probably lose money, no big surprise there. This might be offset by an increase in post-olympic tourism and business, which may be a more accurate measure of an elevated global status.

As long as things run smoothly, there are no major incidents, and arrests are kept to a minimum (less than 1,000?), they should be okay.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    It will probably not be the opposite of not a successful failure.
    Sensei, you're messing with people's head. Nice confusing reply.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I believe Calgary in '88 was also successful.
    Weren't the Olympics held in Seoul Korea in 1988?? Anyways, I think it can go both ways depending on what will happen... However, so far I think they are more successful. But who knows what will happen next??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    China won't get name recognition if they continue to censor and limit foreign media. There's a very good chance that its reputation will get even worse.
    That's really extreme. It will be NEGATIVE towards their reputation, but saying they will get NO name recognition is way too much of an absolute. Just like things that help build their reputation, there's always the negative. It's a balance of different factors. It's highly improbable that one point--censorship is the be-all and end-all.

global status...