Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much weight loss is considered "unhealthy"?

Default How much weight loss is considered "unhealthy"?

I know it depends on body size, etc. but say you want to lose 15 pounds in 3 months...is that considered "unhealthy"?

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    I know it depends on body size, etc. but say you want to lose 15 pounds in 3 months...is that considered "unhealthy"?
    It's not unhealthy, if you exercise and eat right. Losing weight has to do with a gradual process. For instance, if you spent X number of time to gain all that weight, so obviously you need the same X amount of time to lose it.

In short, if you really work hard to exercise and eat without skipping meals, you can lose those pounds. I don't think anyone should skip meals to lose weight, that would only achieve the opposite. You have to eat some breakfast to get your metabolism started each day.

I read somewhere that people eat three small meals with snacks in between, instead of eating three meals only when absolutely hungry.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

A weight loss of around 1-2 lbs a week is healthy. Anything beyond that is somewhat iffy. So 15 in 3 months may be alright, depending on body size of course.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    A weight loss of around 1-2 lbs a week is healthy. Anything beyond that is somewhat iffy. So 15 in 3 months may be alright, depending on body size of course.
    I heard that you should lose one to two pounds a week, and that's healthy. Beyond that, not so good.

It also depends on what your weight and body type currently is. If you currently weight less than 120 pounds, then I wouldn't want to lose that much weight so soon. I often go with BMI just as a way of measuring.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Well the confounding factor is gain of muscle mass vs. loss of fat mass right?

For instance, I've been working out, and I can feel myself gaining muscle. So I should be GAINING muscle mass = gain weight, yet I want to see a net weight loss....

Definitely losing anything more than 2 pounds a week is unhealthy, so 15 pounds in 3 months sounds pretty ok to me.

I once lost 10 pounds in 10 days...it was mostly water weight, but it definitely didn't feel too good. Even if you lose weight fast, it's useless if you don't continue to keep off the weight. And the funny thing was, I wasn't even trying to lose weight.

Yeah, see that's what I'm worried about. I have the time now to work out half an hour a day.

I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but really...once school starts, I have no idea how "lazy" I will feel after sitting in class all day and being mentally exhausted.

Yeah, see that's what I'm worried about. I have the time now to work out half an hour a day.

I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but really...once school starts, I have no idea how "lazy" I will feel after sitting in class all day and being mentally exhausted.
    Rosey, sometimes 30 minutes a day is all you need.

This isn't particularly directed to you , but I'm just sharing what I've heard:

Exercising to keep yourself fit and your body tone/defined should be a lifestyle, rather than a temporary diet. Because we all know if you stop exercising, all the efforts you put in losing weight will be gained again because you're not keeping up with it and not burning calories.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 08-07-08 at 12:03 AM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I know...I'm KIND of getting into it more. Only issue is no available space next year (why do I keep saying next year when it's basically end of the month).

The school has a gym, but I hate working out there since I can't take a shower right after. Public showers make me go ickkk.....I'm still bitter about how I had a gym in my old apartment but I had to switch, and now, no more gym wahhh....

I know...I'm KIND of getting into it more. Only issue is no available space next year (why do I keep saying next year when it's basically end of the month).

The school has a gym, but I hate working out there since I can't take a shower right after. Public showers make me go ickkk.....I'm still bitter about how I had a gym in my old apartment but I had to switch, and now, no more gym wahhh....
    Have you tried Yoga or Pilates? I'm planning to start on those two since I don't have to step into a gym at all to do them.

I've tried yoga before. When I did yoga in the morning, I felt more energized since it helps you stretch your limbs and practice breathing properly. I hear its suppose to help with backaches too.

I just need to pull out my yoga/pilates mat and get started.

I think I'll start with thirty minutes and build up to an hour of exercise when I'm used to it.

Yoga's awesome! You will feel more energized for the rest of the day. I do a session every morning, and if I don't have enough time, I still at least do the sun postures to get a good morning stretch.

I did ONE class of core fusion (pilates/yoga/etc other stuff mixed) and I was in PAINNNNNNNN for so long. I don't like it because it doesn't make me feel 'energetic'. It is too slow for my liking.

I prefer to do this step machine I have with arm resistance bands. It works really really well for weight loss since you work on your hips and abs too, not just legs (although most of work is on abs).

I also run, but I like the machine better. But I guess the other option is just running around the block, although it's not gonna work when the weather gets cold.

Maybe I can start to like yoga/pilates....if I give it a chance? =P

Core fusion? Sounds kinda iffy to me......IMO, you shouldn't join Yoga and pilates or aerobics in the same session.

I think steps in general is good. I always prefer taking the stairs since I can get some exercise there, hehe.

weight lost is never healthy, you're basically deprive your body of calories (energy).

So in short the right question would be "how much weight lost should I go for before I faint" haha.

All jokes aside, around 1 pound per week (around 3500 cal cut).

12 pounds a month ain't that bad, but actually when you start exercising you'll probably loose like 6 pounds since muscles weight more than fat, for every pound of fat you loose you gain some muscles and that'll off set your goal, you'll look like you lost 12 but you won't actually loose 12 on the scale.
    Last edited by warlock110; 08-07-08 at 01:02 AM.

Lol is that right....so I've lost about 10-11 so far since June. That means I look like I've lost 20? No way, haha, I don't think I look it at all.

Lol is that right....so I've lost about 10-11 so far since June. That means I look like I've lost 20? No way, haha, I don't think I look it at all.
    since you're a girl muscle gain on your body isn't as dramatic as guys.

You can just go to the sonar and run till you drop and you'll loose a crapload of weight, but that's just water. It's just depending on your method of cutting weight.

there's alot of crap to account for, but if you're happy with your body I don't see the reason to keep going. That's just my opinion.

most girls go between 100-140 pounds, so normally they can't cut much weight.

I know people who don't do shit, he just work a 2nd job and he look like skin wrap around bones. just to show body wieght is pretty much dependent of life style, I've lost some weight before but it always come back... I really admire people who exercise regularly, that crap is hard to do IMO.
    Last edited by warlock110; 08-07-08 at 03:44 AM.

Roses, let me assure you that you'll only lose weight once you start school, and that goes all the way into residency. So I'd be eating all I can this summer.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Haha but I did nothing but gain weight during undergrad. And the funny thing was that I was super stressed as well. I commuted a lot, but not so much walking (mostly subway, busing). And then I would not exercise, pretty much sit at home and study, and then eat lots of comfort food to get me through the horrible days of studying/cramming.

I'm hoping for a more balanced lifestyle once I live on my own. I dunno if I'll go back to my "unhealthy" lifestyle once school starts though. Clerkship (3rd/4th years), definitely lose weight by running around the hospital all day long. But this is 1st/2nd year, so I dunno.

Well the bonus (or sad thing depending on how I look at it) is that I don't have my dad's yummy foods again. I'm a VERY picky eater, so I will probably end up eating less if it's not yummy.

So warlock, you're saying that when you lose "water" weight, it doesn't "show"?

Well I dunno how accurate BMI is, but I'm still not in the mid-range of "normal" yet. Mid-range is like 21.7, and I'm still 22.7 now. Kinda weird, because I don't think I "look" fatter than normal. Oh well.

Yes, water weight won't really show...maybe it might make your stomach flatter, but that's really about it.

BMI says I'm underweight, but I wouldn't really trust it simply because Asians tend to have smaller body frames. If I'm underweight, I don't know how those super skinny Asians in Asia would fare...

And some people have "heavier" bones, so the Chinese say.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.