Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Gold Medalists have ultimate freedom over what song they want to play?

Default Should Gold Medalists have ultimate freedom over what song they want to play?

So at the Olympics, whoever wins gold gets their requested song played. There's a minor controversy with Park Tae Hwan (swimmer boy who got gold for S. Korea in 400m freestyle) picking some teeney-bopper SNSD (Girls' Generation) song.

I think as long as the music doesn't have inflammatory or deragoratory/inappropriate content, it should be fine.

I mean, hello, these people are winning GOLD. Leave them alone and let them pick what they wanna hear.

Who cares? As long as it's not a song with inappropriate contents, then it's fine.
    I don't see why there should be a controversy. If they don't like the song, just laugh at him for having bad music taste.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

you're playing for your country not yourself, national anthem is most appropriate.

They always play the national anthem. That's protocol. This is another new thing Beijing introduced I think...where it's like a "jukebox" and they can ask for their favourite song.

They do play the national anthem.
    I think it's cool that Beijing introduced this, since it lets you see a bit into the athletes and their personality. It focuses on the nations but as well as the athlete who won.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    you're playing for your country not yourself, national anthem is most appropriate.

Okay if it's Americans doing that, I wouldn't care much but since it's the Koreans, I vote for national anthem.

Most of these athletes are subsidized by their government, so as a form of respect, they should honor their country and thank them for their cultivation.

It's nothing to debate about.... just think it's retarded to not do so.

You guys, this "choose your song thing" is SEPARATE from the national anthem thing they play when they are awarded their actual medals.

I think selecting the national anthem is kinda redundant since it's gonna be played again during the actual awarding ceremony.

But the question that does come up, especially for countries like China, Korea, that subsidize their athletes---and this comes up a lot not just with something like choosing a song, but in terms of advertisement, leisure vs. training time, etc. ~ HOW MUCH freedom should athletes have?

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    You guys, this "choose your song thing" is SEPARATE from the national anthem thing they play when they are awarded their actual medals.

I think selecting the national anthem is kinda redundant since it's gonna be played again during the actual awarding ceremony.

But the question that does come up, especially for countries like China, Korea, that subsidize their athletes---and this comes up a lot not just with something like choosing a song, but in terms of advertisement, leisure vs. training time, etc. ~ HOW MUCH freedom should athletes have?
    Sorry ... didn't comprehend it the same way.

In that case, I say the athletes can do as s/he wish. Personally, I still opt for national anthem OR a song which they are endorsed by ...

I wouldn't throw in "livin la vida loca" when i win ... find it more sentimental to have all my people stand with me with another national anthem playing.

As long as they don't bust out with annoying teeny bopper music, then it's all good with me.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post

I wouldn't throw in "livin la vida loca" when i win ... find it more sentimental to have all my people stand with me with another national anthem playing.
    What you are saying is a matter of taste. Not everyone has the same musical preference. Thus, I really don't care what song the winner chooses. Though, the safest route is selecting their country's national anthem.

I just want someone to choose Dir en grey, that is all.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I just want someone to choose Dir en grey, that is all.
    Well, you'd better wish, hope and pray very hard then. Otherwise you've got to wait for another four years.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Well, you'd better wish, hope and pray very hard then. Otherwise you've got to wait for another four years.
    And that's only if London decides to keep up this tradition....

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Wait...so when do they actually play the song?

Like right after they win I think....

LMAO, out of all songs, he picks a SNSD song? Oh man....

He might as well have picked Wonder Girls's Tell Me and then start doing the Tell Me dance in front of everyone...

maybe he wants to get the group's attention so he can date one of them. he'll probably be a national hero after this and he's not ugly

Please don't tell me he's gonna become another Tian Liang. He doesn't even have the looks for it lol.

But yeah, I sincerely hope he's not gonna let this get to his head. If it doesn't, then omg, he's so young, he has so much potential in 2012 AND 2016! (He'll only be like what....27 in 2016!)

sure thing, in that case anyone who win the gold should play the song "move *****, get out the way".

I don't know why people get upset at him for choosing that song. It's not a great song, but like, he's 18, how good music taste do you expect from most 18-year-old boys anyway?

Someone should pick Souljah Boy Crank That and do the dance.
    My love and my agony.