View Poll Results: Will Team USA Men's Basketball win the gold?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, for sure.

18 94.74%
  • No, they'll choke.

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is USA Men's Basketball a lock for the gold?

Default Is USA Men's Basketball a lock for the gold?

They've (USA Men's Basketball Team) looked pretty good so far, but the gap between them and their opponents isn't nearly as large as the original Dream Team's (1992) against their opponents sixteen years ago. Is Team USA a lock for the gold this year?

There's a big chance they'll win. But I could see an upset occurring. Again the original Dream Team was much more dominate (they had good chemistry and their opponents weren't nearly as good as other countries are now). I could see some challenges in Greece, Argentina, Spain...

Yep, I think US will win the gold on thiis one.

US Gold to lose.

There's not as much chemistry but we have the powerhouse. Go Wade!

The only possible problem I see is with post. There are only 3 true post players (Howard, Boozer, Bosh). Only Howard is a true center. If the big men go cold or into foul trouble say against Spain, it could be a potential issue. Other than that..it's their's to lose.

This is the only sport where I'm rooting for the American team.

So hopefully, they'll take the gold. LeBron James is just awesome, and Bosh is so adorable (he even looks like a raptor), and Kobe seems to be becoming a better sportsman.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Isn't US supposed to be the best in basketball anyway? If so, it would be surprising if they don't win.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think they have a good chance of redeeming themselves. Athens was just a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I think they have a good chance of redeeming themselves. Athens was just a nightmare.
    God that was brutal, not all the elite players showed up too. Even those who did got sat down by Larry Brown for too long (ie.LeBron)

LeBron is just really fun to watch playing. I only caught the USA vs. China game, where these two Chinese players tried to block him, and he somehow just ran right passed them and dunked the ball.
    Needless to say, I was rooting for America that game too (not that I don't want China to win, but seriously, they just didn't have a snowball's chance in hell).
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I think so, pretty good chance, I think it's as good as 80%+ that they'll win.

This team is more like international basketball than the previous team where it's built more like an NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Isn't US supposed to be the best in basketball anyway? If so, it would be surprising if they don't win.
    They were only able to win a bronze medal in 2004, and escaped several close calls to win the gold in 2000. With every Olympic Games since 1992, the rest of the world has closed the gap with the NBA.

Moreover, many of today's best NBA players are not Americans; Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, and Manu Ginobili are NBA elites.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    LeBron is just really fun to watch playing. I only caught the USA vs. China game, where these two Chinese players tried to block him, and he somehow just ran right passed them and dunked the ball.
    Needless to say, I was rooting for America that game too (not that I don't want China to win, but seriously, they just didn't have a snowball's chance in hell).
    Yeah, I saw many of his dunks . But you got to love that pinned the backboard block.

I didn't get to see any games thus far, but from the highlights they looked pretty darn good. Their margin of victory was big against China and Angola, now they're playing Greece a team that could give them problems with their tenacious D. I don't think it's gonna be a dunk fest like the previous two games.

No chemistry?? where yall get that from? I think this team has a lot of chemistry and they will bring the gold home to where it belongs the U.S.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    They've (USA Men's Basketball Team) looked pretty good so far, but the gap between them and their opponents isn't nearly as large as the original Dream Team's (1992) against their opponents sixteen years ago. Is Team USA a lock for the gold this year?
    what do u think??? of course they will win the gold.....Kobe and Bron Bron can carry this team with high schooler.

I hope US Spain final, and Spain get completely schooled. Bunch of racist wankers.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    They were only able to win a bronze medal in 2004, and escaped several close calls to win the gold in 2000. With every Olympic Games since 1992, the rest of the world has closed the gap with the NBA.

Moreover, many of today's best NBA players are not Americans; Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, and Manu Ginobili are NBA elites.
    It's about heart not talent. Yes the last player off the American bench would start for any other country's team. However basketball is a team sport. The other countries have not closed any "gap", the first two dream teams were filled with consummate professionals who were not only phenomenally talented -- they played the game the correct way. This is the first team we've fielded since 98 that plays unselfishly.

We will not be denied this time.

Hmm the US men's basketball team is pretty strong, are they a lock for the gold? How much of the gold are we locking here?
    Last edited by ~Dan~; 08-15-08 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    It's about heart not talent.
    I believe it's both.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

All the heart won't do you any good if you simply don't have the talent.

The USA team, through all the games so far, is clearly the most talented team out there. If they don't have any mental stumbling blocks, they should win the gold.

One thing I don't like is that they hired Coach K to run the team, and of course, he runs it just like he runs Duke. Spread the floor with smaller players, live and die behind the three point line, and dribble penetrate, depending on your ability beat the other players 1 on 1.

This will work easily for teams of inferior talent, but if you have a bad shooting day, there's really not much of a plan B.