Thread: What is a "throw"?

Default What is a "throw"?

For example, this Microplush throw:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hotelstoyou.com/images/uploads/WA_fleecethrow_L.jpg')

What is its purpose? What do you do with it?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Are you serious? It's just like a blanket but it's more convenient to cover your legs or yourself when you're lounging on a sofa or couch or when you're on a road trip. It's just lighter than a normal blanket or comforter. You can roll it up or fold it up and store it more easily than a bed comforter. And sometimes, people have it folded on their bed, on top of their comforter. Maybe they don't want to mess up their bed, so they read and use a throw to cover themselves and feel comfy.

I guess it just has to do with not lugging a big blanket around and having the convenience of a small but warm blanket. How can you not understand the purpose of them?

Some people use it as a shawl to cover themselves as they walk out to the balcony in the morning or something. It's multipurpose. You figure it out.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-06-08 at 12:51 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

But from your description it doesn't seem like you're supposed to throw it. So why is it called a throw?

I think it's the name that's throwing me off
    Last edited by PJ; 09-06-08 at 01:09 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    But from your description it doesn't seem like you're supposed to throw it. So why is it called a throw?

I think it's the name that's throwing me off
    I don't know, perhaps it refers to the easy and lightness of the blanket, with which you can throw over your shoulders, legs, yourself, or when it is not used, you throw over a bed or sofa, etc.

Wiki says: Throw blankets are smaller blankets, often in decorative colors and patterns, that can be used for extra warmth outside of bed.

We also have this explanation of a throw blanket: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-throw-blanket.htm

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    For example, this Microplush throw:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hotelstoyou.com/images/uploads/WA_fleecethrow_L.jpg')

What is its purpose? What do you do with it?
    Tolui gave one of these (a white one) to Gwok Jing on the day that he left Mongolia for China in LOCH '82.

I kid you not.

Throws are great for humans in couches. They are also great to be thrown around by pets.

Speaking of which, do any of you use duvet covers? I prefer that over comforters but unfortunately they don't come in pretty patterns.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

I think originally it was just a blanket thrown over a sofa or large chair to protect the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Speaking of which, do any of you use duvet covers? I prefer that over comforters but unfortunately they don't come in pretty patterns.
    Where are you looking for duvet covers? I've seen plenty in nice patterns. Ikea has some very attractive ones, at least for my taste. Except they call them quilt covers. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...extiles/10680/

In the US duvets are more commonly referred to as comforters, if that helps.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

The comforter/duvet cover concept is great, like a pillow case is for a pillow. That way you can just wash the cover without having to stick the whole big comforter in the washing machine. Very very convenient.

Thanks, I know ikea has some of those. In most of other bedding stores though, only the comforter themselves come in pretty patterns. The few covers they have are usually in plain color.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    The comforter/duvet cover concept is great, like a pillow case is for a pillow. That way you can just wash the cover without having to stick the whole big comforter in the washing machine. Very very convenient.

Thanks, I know ikea has some of those. In most of other bedding stores though, only the comforter themselves come in pretty patterns. The few covers they have are usually in plain color.
    You know, I would like a duvet or comforter that blue with moon and stars designs. I'm looking for that. Right now I have this brownish/mauve/green with leaves type pattern for a comforter set. I've been wanting new comforters but too frugal.