Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asian role playing games

Quote Originally Posted by Lianazhu View Post
    I noticed after a bit of searching that there is nothing of this theme for any role playing games other then Oriental Adventures for Legend of the Five Rings. But I am now curious if there are other adventures and themes and settings for a broader range. namely many Wuxia novels put to roleplaying games. Which then makes me wonder.

Am I the only one that actually does rokleplaying games on a daily basis?

Also, if there are others, please say so here

I've played PnP RPGs for many years, and for most of those years have searched high and low for a good WuXia RPG. Invariably I find stuff like HK:AT, Feng Shui, etc. inspired by HK movies as opposed to real WuXia. Palladium and GURPS both had a decent martial arts themed supplements in their day but failed to capture the feel. I've homebrewed stuff for GURPS and DnD (2E, 3E and 3.5E -I can't bring myself to play 4E) but was never able to playtest it for balance. I've even toyed with the idea of trying to implement in Amber.

Settings are relatively easy to adapt but you really need a good balanced (yet interesting) system to make it work. The one that I like the best is Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords
    (http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19029).
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by AresInvincible View Post
    Hey guys, here's a link that you might find interest to look at:

http://www.mobygames.com/featured_ar...5/section,178/
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I've played PnP RPGs for many years, and for most of those years have searched high and low for a good WuXia RPG. Invariably I find stuff like HK:AT, Feng Shui, etc. inspired by HK movies as opposed to real WuXia. Palladium and GURPS both had a decent martial arts themed supplements in their day but failed to capture the feel. I've homebrewed stuff for GURPS and DnD (2E, 3E and 3.5E -I can't bring myself to play 4E) but was never able to playtest it for balance. I've even toyed with the idea of trying to implement in Amber.

Settings are relatively easy to adapt but you really need a good balanced (yet interesting) system to make it work. The one that I like the best is Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords
    (http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19029).
    True, settings and themes can be easy to add in, only thing being my game is using the Storyteller system through White Wolf (a coin is flipped, and in cased of combat with large armies a chessset is used as the battlefield), though i've only played D&D3.5 once, $E seems to me to be a bit easier to use as many of the characters (human, Eladrin & Elf/Half Elf) are easy to make into a good Wuxia type character. (heck I am in the middle of watching White Hair Maiden with Shui Ling and have so far found six of the total characters for what race they are in D&D4E, the rest are in Imagine Roleplay.)

But still you are right, if used rightly a good system and game can be made. Only I'm starting to get off the ground now at least on my first Wuxia themed game (finally)
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

Those games look really awsome. Too bad i cant play any because my chinese sucks. I guess i am stuck with romance of the three kingdoms.

Well, I'm bringing this back up again guys mostly because I need help. my sister Ryn and I have made the choice after much urging from fellow roleplayers to create our own roleplaying game, my sister is a major fan (just like I) of several Wuxia series. However we have been unable to fit the genre into a D&D tabletop or forum based game. So after working out rules and the like we have made our own system. But are lacking i the rest of the details.

Let me give a bit of background info on this game itself. It was at first based on the Book and Sword novel(s). But then it evolved into something more of Little Dragon Girl, then into White Dragon, then from there directly into several other novels at once (Justice Pao, CTHD, TWHM to name a few, along with the 2000 movie The Duel). So now we have us a good game, but no system and book for everyone to use. Which is why my sister and I are working to create one such system.

I would first like some help in securing the needed pictures (currently am trying to figure out how to get three pictures through China-Cart.com at this time) If anyone can help, i'm not making you want to help. But any help would be wonderful. China-Cart.com is offering said pictures for $8 ea. at this point we only need thread to get started (basically the cover)

Now before I get too far ahead of myself, let me stress that we did try Legend of the Five Rings system but it did not fit the setting of the game. That and only three of the seven players know of the game setting if at all. So L5R is out as the game system.

You guys need not help if you don;t want to do so. It is OK with me us if you don;t want to help us out. But if you do wish to help us out drop me a VM and I can see what i can give you to help me out with.

~
    Lianazhu
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first

Well, I'm bringing this back up again guys mostly because I need help. my sister Ryn and I have made the choice after much urging from fellow roleplayers to create our own roleplaying game, my sister is a major fan (just like I) of several Wuxia series. However we have been unable to fit the genre into a D&D tabletop or forum based game. So after working out rules and the like we have made our own system. But are lacking i the rest of the details.

Let me give a bit of background info on this game itself. It was at first based on the Book and Sword novel(s). But then it evolved into something more of Little Dragon Girl, then into White Dragon, then from there directly into several other novels at once (Justice Pao, CTHD, TWHM to name a few, along with the 2000 movie The Duel). So now we have us a good game, but no system and book for everyone to use. Which is why my sister and I are working to create one such system.

I would first like some help in securing the needed pictures (currently am trying to figure out how to get three pictures through China-Cart.com at this time) If anyone can help, i'm not making you want to help. But any help would be wonderful. China-Cart.com is offering said pictures for $8 ea. at this point we only need thread to get started (basically the cover)

Now before I get too far ahead of myself, let me stress that we did try Legend of the Five Rings system but it did not fit the setting of the game. That and only three of the seven players know of the game setting if at all. So L5R is out as the game system.

You guys need not help if you don;t want to do so. It is OK with me us if you don;t want to help us out. But if you do wish to help us out drop me a VM and I can see what i can give you to help me out with.

~
    Lianazhu
    Are you planning to put together a physical book? What are you going to do with it after you have your cover? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by you have a good game but no system? Do you mean you have a campaign setting but no game rules to run it under?

I've been bitten by the WuXia bug again, and came up with some new ideas. My most recent revolves around a feat tree, and is meant to supplement Tome of Battle. It deals with clashing attacks, less reliance on armor, meditation to recover and friendly fights reasonably well. My next step is to run a short campaign (A Realms or planar one -not a explicitly WuXia one) to playtest it along with another class I cooked up a year ago. Around here it's difficult to find RPG players who regard WuXia as something more than "anime" or "wire-fu". I'm looking for people to run my system by so let me know if you're interested.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Are you planning to put together a physical book? What are you going to do with it after you have your cover? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by you have a good game but no system? Do you mean you have a campaign setting but no game rules to run it under?

I've been bitten by the WuXia bug again, and came up with some new ideas. My most recent revolves around a feat tree, and is meant to supplement Tome of Battle. It deals with clashing attacks, less reliance on armor, meditation to recover and friendly fights reasonably well. My next step is to run a short campaign (A Realms or planar one -not a explicitly WuXia one) to playtest it along with another class I cooked up a year ago. Around here it's difficult to find RPG players who regard WuXia as something more than "anime" or "wire-fu". I'm looking for people to run my system by so let me know if you're interested.
    This is correct. None of ths systems I know of can handle this type of game setting, and D&D, Spycraft etc, are too restricted for races and the like (this setting is dragon/human only. no elves or anything like that) and classes are ranges of noblitiy and the like.

EDIT: And yes I'm planning on making an actual book so my players can have access to it

I'm close to a beta release of a WuXia system built in D20 (3.5) on top of Tome of Battle. Now I need people to play test so I can fine tune the balance and streamline some game mechanics.

This system tentatively named the BTMao Manual (after my missing/departed cat BTMao) will deal with the following:

Modified combat system to emphasis skill over hp
    Internal Power (Nei Gong)
    Movement Techniques (Qing Gong)
    Pressure Points (Dian Xue)
    Styles vs. Formlessness

I've been creating sample characters to compare and contrast them with similar builds from existing material.

I would also like to ask the various translators on this board permission to use excerpts from their translation. In fact I really could use some help in finding appropriate passages to illustrate certain concepts.

This initial installment is based mostly on Jin Yong writings so "pseudo-wuxia" elements like what you may see in FengYun is kept to a minimum. The intent however is to create a system whose characters are balanced enough and can coexist with characters from a "normal" DnD game let's say in a Planescape setting.

Ideally, I'd also like to create a campaign setting for this system -maybe set in the time period between ROCH and HDSD. Immediately after the fall of Xiang Yang?

-KotOR

OK question, where exactly is the game taking place? online or tabletop? If online what site? If tabletop what city/state/country? If it is online (which I hope it is) I can take a looksee

OK question, where exactly is the game taking place? online or tabletop? If online what site? If tabletop what city/state/country? If it is online (which I hope it is) I can take a looksee
    I'm hoping to run a short campaign or at least a one shot tabletop (locally here in Boston, MA. USA). Normally I'm not a fan of play by post but I may try to run one via instant messenger, ICQ, etc.

At this stage I'm looking for people who know WuXia and have RPG experience to first build characters in the BTM System, and see how they feel. Usually this is more of an exercise for a home-brew character optimization board but I wanted people who are familiar with WuXia.

I have a fair amount of material at this point but it needs to be edited and rebalanced. Once that's done I'll make it available here and on some RPG boards so people can use it as they will.

As the first pass I'm in the process of creating a 5th level character, a 10th level character and a 15th level character to illustrate what possible at those power levels. The 5th level one has low ranks of internal power with zero techniques, and is comprable to a brute fighter. The 10th level character will have a good mix of internal power, qing gong and techniques. Maybe the comparison other here will be a straight swordsage. The final character will essentially illustrate near Greats level of internal power. I'd also like to do a inner power vs. technique comparison here with a swordsage/Master of Nine build.

Here's the comparison for 5th level based on a standard 25 point buy. Emphasis on crunch over fluff.

click to show/hide spoilers

DaFei
    Human Fighter 5

Having consumed a hundred year fire ginseng in his early childhood, DaFei is blessed with incredible Internal Power for someone who is barely 20 years of age. A bellicose and arrogant youth by nature, his profound internal power has added greatly to his physical talents.

S 17 (13)
    D 14
    C 14
    I 8
    W 8
    C 8

HP: 10+11x2+10 = 42 (death at -18)
    BAB: +5
    AC: 10 + 6 +2 +1 = 19 (Breastplate+1, Dex, amulet of natural armor +1)
    Feats: human, F1, 1st, F2, 3rd, F4=5
    Neigong Training x 4, Power Attack
    Internal Power Rank =4

Enhanced Concentration
    Practicing internal energy has helped you to focus your mind, and maintain your composure under stress. Concentration is now considered a class skill for you regardless of class. Furthermore you receive a +1 insight bonus to your Concentration checks for each rank of internal power that you have.

Enhanced Vitality
    Your cultivation of internal energies bolsters your life force allowing you to survive injuries that would be fatal for others. Normally characters are dead when reduced to -10 hit points. Your internal power will delay death by two points per rank. Furthermore you can burn internal power ranks to heal two hit points per rank. Burned internal power ranks can be recovered normally via rest (1 per day) or through Meditation: Recover Internal Power if you have this ability.

Increase Strength
    By using a standard action and making a DC 20 concentration check an internal power practitioner can add an insight bonus equal to his Internal Power rank to his Strength until the end of his next turn.

Increase Toughness
    By using a standard action and making a DC 20 concentration check an internal power practitioner can add temporary hit points equal to twice his Internal Power rank until the end of his next turn. These temporary hit points are bypassed by slashing or piercing damage.

Increase (Move)
    You have reached a level of cultivation that you can now increase your abilities via internal power with a move-equivalent action.

With a concentration of 14, he will be successful roughly 75% of the time. In 25% of the time it would be wasted. (Buying a +5 competence bonus item to boost concentration would be useful).

Skills of Note:
    Concentration 8 + 2 +4(IP) = +14

Mountain Cleaver (Greataxe+1) +9 / 1d12+5 (3x1.5 + 1 = 5) every round (average 11.5)

Or

If Strength boosted by +4 (to 21/ +5) and power attack at -2 = +9 / 1d12+12 (5x1.5+1) =8 from magic and Str, + 4 PA) every round (average 18.5 or 13.875 with the 75% success rate of Increase Strength)

Sir Haxalot
    Human Fighter 5
    S 17 (13)
    D 14
    C 14
    I 8
    W 8
    C 8
    HP: 10+11x2+10 = 42 (extended dying to -14)
    BAB: +5
    Saves +4/+1/+1
    AC: 10 + 6 +2 +1 = 19 (Breastplate+1, Dex, amulet of natural armor +1)
    Feats: human, F1, 1st, F2, 3rd, F4=5
    Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, WF(greataxe), weapon specialization

Oakbane (Greataxe+1) +9 / 1d12+9 (3x1.5 + 1 + 2 + 2(PA -1) = 9) every round (average 15.5)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Meta-game analysis
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Comparing the two, DaFei seemed to be a bit underpowered. Being able to boost Str by +4 to 21 or gaining 8 temporary hit points for one round as a standard action isn’t too useful in combat unless there’s opportunity for buffing. It’s good for lifting heavy objects and running over hot coals I suppose...

I originally had the Increase Strength ability grant a +2 Str per level but it was a little excessive at higher levels. Increase(Move) was originally a tier 2 ability but I realized that at this level Psionic Meditation and Psionic Weapon can produce similar results (move-equivalent boosts) so I made it tier one. I made the two Enhanced abilities part of the first rank of internal power.

Even with those adjustments Sir Haxalot is still much better vs. groups of underlings. Maybe a better comparison would be to replace cleave and great cleave with martial study: steely strike and martial stance: punishing stance but then the AC penalties are difficult to compare vs. attack power.

-KotOR

Preview

General Feat
    Defensive Strike
    Prerequisite: BAB +1
    You have been trained to intercept attacks with an attack of your own in a contest of arms. While this can often lessen the impact of your enemy's blow and save your life, you do end up taking hits that might have otherwise missed you.

Whenever you are attacked in melee you may opt to use one of your attacks of opportunity to counter the attack if available. Alternatively you may use a standard action maneuver to counter the attack if you have a standard action still available for the round. You have to make this decision before the attacker rolls to hit. Once you commit to this course of action the attacker rolls his to hit normally and then total that with the damage rolled as if he hit you. This is compared to your attack roll and damage total which is also resolved as if you had hit him. If your total is greater than or equal to his total then the damage is negated. If your total is less than the attacker's total then you take the difference as bludgeoning damage.

If the attacker's total is two times or greater than your total you are disarmed. If you were defending unarmed then you take a -4 penalty to hit for one round as the pain and shock distract you. In addition you take the difference as normal damage as your defense is overcome and you are struck. This also means you will take additional effects like poison since the attack has physically struck you.

If the attacker's total is three times or greater than your total your weapon then in addition to suffering the above, your weapon also takes the damage it absorbed (i.e. damage equal to your total). If you defended unarmed you take attacker's total as opposed to the difference between his total and yours.

If you are not trained in unarmed combat you can only block an untrained unarmed strike.

This option may also be used against ranged attacks but is at -2 for thrown weapons and -5 for propelled weapons.

Internal Power Abilities

Enhanced Strike
    You channel your internal power into your weapon before unleashing your attack. This adds untyped energy damage equal to your internal power ranks to all of your melee attacks until the end of your next turn. This additional damage is reduced by the effective internal power ranks of the defender (if any). Note: defensive strike doesn't help against this damage since it is transmitted through contact.

If you apply internal power ranks greater than or equal to the hit points of your weapon, it will be destroyed after your attack. Alternatively you can intentionally destroy your weapon by applying your internal power, and giving it a slight shake. You can also apply this to other objects like tables and chairs to destroy them with a light touch.

Empowered Defense
    Internal Power flows through your body, and reacts automatically to protect you against attacks. Whenever you take bludgeoning damage you may convert up to five hit points per effective internal power rank to subdual damage instead. The blows still hurt but are not life threatening.

Only living humanoid creatures can practice internal energy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now the parts that are not so clear....

The prolonged internal power struggle is something I've always had problems representing in a system. Part of the problem is that even in stories this is not treated uniformly.

This is when two experts clash palms or weapons backed up by internal power.

A number of outcomes are possible:

1. They come apart with one or both back stepping to disperse the force (a la GJ vs. GWM)

2. They remain locked together, as they struggle for supremacy (H7G vs. OYF, YG vs. GWM, YD vs. GWM, etc.). This is a fairly vulnerable state since the participants can't move. While anyone striking them in melee will suffer from the backlash nothing prevents people from using projectiles against them. Needless to say this isn't something to be used lightly. It is possible for both to retract this force over time.

3. One overpowers the other instantly (YG vs. YKX)

4. One can defend using a Yin style and neutralize the force (ZBT vs. GWM)

Probably others...

Current Prototype
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Enhanced Strike vs. No IP => extra lethal damage
    Enhanced Strike vs. IP => IP reduces damage from Enhanced Strike -soft approach

Enhanced Strike vs. Enhanced Strike => -hard approach
    initial clash compare IP ranks
    if difference <5 exchange damage
    both can back off to disperse this damage each five feet back reduces damage by 5
    loser can back off or push back by surging

if difference >=5 loser takes total as lethal damage
    can push back
    if difference >=10 loser also takes half of difference as IP damage
    (completely overpowered)
    choice push forward

Example IP 10 vs. IP 8
    When you are using enhanced strike you can decide how much to enhance it by can damage weapon but won’t damage unarmed

A attacks with Enhanced Strike, B responds with an Enhanced Strike.
    B can feel that A is somewhat stronger at this stage.
    Since the difference is < 5
    • either A and B can just back up 10 feet (deducted from future movement, and forced to at least move that far)
    • B can push back by surging for +2 (free action once per round?) if he doesn't want to take the damage or back up. This commits him, and he can no longer back off
    • If B surges A is also committed unless he just takes the damage
    • New round...
    • Keep totals round by round. If at the end of a round the totals differ by 10 or more then damage is resolved -loser takes total as lethal damage. and half as IP damage. If this makes IP negative take Con damage. At the end of every round both take 1 point of IP damage
    • If someone else intrudes in melee... everyone takes part of total

• Surge
    • normally effective IP= IP when you surge effective IP goes up for 1 round and then goes down by the same amount the next round. During a trough you can surge again but the tough just gets deeper. A round without surging will restore your effective IP back to normal.
    • example: IP 10, I surge for 4 so I'm at EIP 14 until the end of my next round, after that I'm at EIP 6 for the next round but if I surge again I'll be at EIP 10 but the round after EIP 2. The amount you can surge is limited by your EIP so once you're at EIP 2 you can only surge 2

Defense only-> bludgeoning damage causes reactive response –attacker is shocked for damage = IP ranks of defender – IP ranks of attacker.

-KotOR

I think that if you want to try this as an online ply by post game I think I know just the site to do it, its free and is very easy to use. (but right now there is no email notification of replies setup, at this point there isn;t any plans fo that anyhow so why worry?)

I'm thinknig of making a new game on the same site, bascially to try and shape my current gamebook I and my sister are working on together. Right now we are putting the classes together, then are going to work on skills and magic before going to actualsystem and combat.

My motivation completely tanked on this. It made me realize that while I'm pretty good at putting together Master of Nine and Jade Phoenix Mage builds that my character concepts are rather limited.

Thus far I have a decent weapon defense system, Qing Gong system and Nei Gong system, a mediocre Nei Gong clashing system and an OK Dian Xue system... what really killed my motivation was to come up with style-maneuvers for well known stuff like XL18Z, balancing them and fitting them into a form vs. formlessness system.

I'm going to take a break from this, and play a factotum/chameleon in a World's Largest Dungeon campaign. ToB isn't allowed but maybe something will inspire me.

-KotOR

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

Play by post?

As in forum-based roleplays?

If yes, then you can check www.simrtk.net. It's not really wuxia-themed, but it's pretty fun.

I fyou mean something like 3D MMORPG, then I could suggest "Perfect World" or "World of Kungfu". Of course there's also "Three Kingdoms Online", but it's not yet in its final version, I believe.
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

I've played an online RPG,
    but graphics isn't that nice.
    It's called JX2, and based on Jin Yong's novel clan.
    Like, Emei, Wudang, Warriors of the Yang Clan, Ming Dynasty, etc.
    I played a Yang family warrior female. =D
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

@!Lifeburner: Actually there is also another site, the site I host my own games on, located here It is a addicting site and is forum based yes. in fact I'm currently building my system for Wuxia centeral games (and movies)

@!XWingSuki: do you remember the system requirements for that game? I might have heard of it, but i've never tried it before

i think quite low. its not laggy on my pc.
    wats ur pc spec's?

anyway, here's the URL for the malaysia site.
    http://jx2.gameflier.com.my/
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others