Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: ROUND 2 Interview with Spcnet members

No, but I loved him so much from Shaolin Soccer and KF Hustle that I googled him. He is an unusual guy. Has problem socializing with people and has paranoid tendencies about people out to harm him. Claims in school classmates broke each of his arms and legs in 4 separate incidents, which may or may not be true. Also claims classmates call up his parents to falsely accuse him of harrassing girls, which I don't buy. Also had a fit of hysteria on the set of KFH when he claimed the shot of the Landlady smacking him was purposely reshot multiple times to hurt him, and he claimed that he couldn't see anymore due to one of the smacks. Went to the ER and then refused to see a doc.

Wasn't very popular on the set with the others. The only guy to treat him well was "Froggy" Tin Kai Man.
    This account is retired.

I got my MBA degree some months ago, but it's pretty useless. Took me 3 months just to land an internship. (Financial Services) I am getting a chance to be very involved in the business which is good, but it's been a really tiring job so far. It's certainly not one of those internships where filing and xeroxing are the primary tasks. I am worn out everyday.
    ... I know people working in NYC and it's definitely life on the highway. Though I was quite surprised to be told that given that cutthroat environment, they don't earn as much as I'd thought, considering the sky-high living standards there...
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    4. How did you choose your username? Where did you find your avatars and what do you look for in an avatar when you select one? Is your current avatar… you?

Just wanted something wuxia related, and 'flyingfox' was taken.
    So I'm taking it that you are a Hu Fei/Hu Yidao fan? Or just completely random?
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    5. Regarding your experience as a later immigrant, what are some significant aspects of this, especially those that still impact you to this very day? What does being Chinese mean to you?

Truthfully, I would much rather be a white boy born into a middle class family. I don't see any benefits (to myself) of being a Chinese immigrant. The early years were hard for me. Got picked on in Jr High for being a smart FOB. I made it into a regular class with ABCs and Hispanics and blacks after a year in the country, but my verbal English was still quite bad. We were poor, and my mom gave me these FOB clothes that pretty much painted a bullseye on my back. Being ugly and skinny didn't help either. It was difficult to wake up in the morning and go to school. It just felt like everyone was laughing at me except for some friends, but because of my anger at the time, I acted like an a-hole to them. I didn't study anymore cuz doing well in school meant more ridicule, but I still did better than everyone in class anyway which only brought me more humiliation. Luckily I made it into a specialized high school where intelligence was the norm and the bullying stopped or else I don't know how I would have turned out. Took me a while to get over the low self esteem and self-loathing that this experience caused me.

Today, I am a pretty well-adjusted person. I have accepted myself for who I am and I am accepting of people -- except for rightwing/religious zealots who want to run others' lives. Still, given the latent discrimination against Asians, especially Asian dudes, I see no benefits to being Asian in America. The one "benefit" that I did gain from immigrating was being able to become open-minded. Since in China, academic success and intelligence is more respected, my teenage years in school would probably have been a lot easier, but maybe I'd be a US-hating Commie now if I stayed.
    I don't think you're the only person who experiences things like this.
    I know that when I came here, I spoke no English and dressed very geekily and was nerdy with good grades. I was made fun of and teased up until I went to university. I didn't have that many close friends in elementary school, and was literally the laughing stock. People would say mean things to my face, thinking that I can't udnerstand them, even though I could. In high school, I went through certain personal difficulties, which was not understood by others, and I was labeled the weird kid that everyone still made fun of. I had some more friends in high school, though, sot hat helped a bit.
    But it wasn't until I came to university, where people don't care as much about "being cool" that things got better. Though by that time, I also became much less nerdy and started to look prettier and got a better dress style.

The thing is, your experience is what you make of it. I could have let all the things bring me down and destroy my self-worth and self-esteem, and for a while, I did have very terrible self-esteem. But it's important to work on that, and just try and make the best of everything and be happy.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I don't think you're the only person who experiences things like this.
    I know that when I came here, I spoke no English and dressed very geekily and was nerdy with good grades. I was made fun of and teased up until I went to university. I didn't have that many close friends in elementary school, and was literally the laughing stock. People would say mean things to my face, thinking that I can't udnerstand them, even though I could. In high school, I went through certain personal difficulties, which was not understood by others, and I was labeled the weird kid that everyone still made fun of. I had some more friends in high school, though, sot hat helped a bit.
    But it wasn't until I came to university, where people don't care as much about "being cool" that things got better. Though by that time, I also became much less nerdy and started to look prettier and got a better dress style.

The thing is, your experience is what you make of it. I could have let all the things bring me down and destroy my self-worth and self-esteem, and for a while, I did have very terrible self-esteem. But it's important to work on that, and just try and make the best of everything and be happy.
    As a teenager, when school is your only social arena (for most kids), and when hormones are raging, it is nearly impossible to take a step back and see the big picture when you are constantly getting teased. Once people get more mature, they usually can put bullying behind them, but not everyone.

For me, when I first arrived in the US, I was in an elementary school ESL class, and I got along perfectly fine. I was even one of the most popular kids and I was actually respected for being smart, although I never picked on people like other popular kids would do to me later on. Even the 7th grade was pretty good cuz I had some good friends there and most of the kids in the class were decent people. Things only got bad in 8th grade when I was put in a class with a number of jerks and byatches. I developed an attitude as a self defense mechanism and that made me unpopular with the other kids who originally didn't hate me too. I did have some friends even in the 8th and 9th grades when I was the target, but being a wisea$$ to them made me unpopular there too even though we still hung out.

----------------

Beave, I do like HF. My original screen name was LHC though at the other forum I started at. But when I joined here, I felt like changing.
    This account is retired.

Flyingfox2002

I also see a part of my personality in ZWJ. I think one of the reasons I have no respect for ZWJ is that the part of myself that resemble him is the part that I don't like the most about my personality. I am simply too nice most of the time, I am considerate all the time like a moron. I don't try to be nice, I just am... I'd love to be able to be assertive more consistently.
    Stupid question but... is being too nice the same as being a doormat? What do you think Flyingfox?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy
    I am simply too nice most of the time, I am considerate all the time like a moron. I don't try to be nice, I just am... I'd love to be able to be assertive more consistently.
    If it helps, Foxy, I never found your online persona to be a nice person in particular. This is not to say you're an egghole, just that you don't come off as particularly nice. So just replicate your online persona in real life and I'm sure your problem will go away
    Last edited by PJ; 09-30-08 at 07:51 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

FF here. Here online there is still a line I won't cross, but I've never particularly cared how I came across in terms of being PC.
    In RL, I think my prob is that I am easily satisfied, that I am not greedy or particularly selfish so if there are 6 cupcakes for 7 people I would always just let everyone else have them. Or, in a group project, I would always take on the toughest part. Dumb things like that. In fact my aunt always calls me dumb cuz in family gatherings I would always let others take candies or other goodies before I get my share. I don't go crazy overboard being nice.
    Dictionary, being too nice can be the same as being a doormat but not necessarily. It's not easy to be a doormat. I don't know anyone that I would describe as a doormat. Edit: man the formatting is weird. lemme work it out in user cp.
    Last edited by jiang bao; 09-30-08 at 08:15 PM.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Why the sudden urge to change username?
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Why do you like Hu Fei? If you were Hu Fei would you pick CLS or YZY?

I spoke no English and dressed very geekily and was nerdy with good grades.
    That's me exactly in highschool. Except I didn't go into ESL. I even got that boyish short haircut (then stylish in asia, of course NA lags behind by 10 years) so girls stared at me in the washroom. Worst still, I came from an all-girls and all-about-grades school so I've no idea what that craze about sex and dating is all about. I still don't hehe.

But I was pretty fortunate because I enrolled in an academic-intense program and my classmates are too busy to bully anyone. People just stared at my weird image in the hallway.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Default Interview with Yittz

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present to you our next Interviewee:

Dr. Yittz!!

1. What/Who influenced you to go into medical school? How do you feel about the influence now? Describe that experience. What long-term career goals do you have?

a) Myself - love of medical science, human biology; enjoy working with others; self satisfaction from helping others; appreciation of it being a suitable, stable and satisfying career.
    Parents - as Asian parents do, but with me it actually pushed me away from medicine
    Friends - quite a few in that field
    Society - the need for doctors, appreciation of them as public servants

b) Support always there, I enjoy the experience as a student and talking to patients. There are always the good and the bad, in any course, any uni, any career.

c) In terms of specialty - just narrowing them down, nothing specific I have targeted, so internal, surg, gp all possible
    In terms of life - the typical boring stuff
    In terms of addictions - breaking the habit

2. What do you do for past-time, other than visiting spcnet?

PC - games dota, CS; reading news/sports/business, youtubing, naruto
    Sports - play a bit of tennis (used to do a lot more other sports), working out, running; big sports fan, watch almost anything they put on TV, rugby union is my favourite to watch (All Blacks favourite team)
    Friends - any holiday breaks, they usually fill it with activity; I just attend

3. Why did you join spcnet and what makes you stay? Over time, has anything changed (eg. change in impression of another member)?

a) Wuxia initially, reading translation, then discussion; now I don't remember that many facts, so open debate and academia. I stay because I like to procrastinate, and this place allows me to do that and study at the same time; also so many interesting posters here
    b) Candide is not a chic, Ken looks like Chairman Mao, PJ is STILL a guy; nothing much has changed, but I do miss the wuxia debates of the old

4. What is the significance of your username, avatar and signature? What characteristic of Huang Yaoshi do you like?

a) Yittz is what I was called at my part time work, so much easier than my real name as facebookers can vouch
    No significance with avatar - it's HYS
    Signature - none at the moment, previously highlighting SPT did jump over the ocean
    b) Anyone who have read LOCH/ROCH will not need be to explain, he is just kickass, just look at how much ALL his crippled students love him

5. Have you met any spcnet member; if so, who are they? What was your first impression of them? Are their real life personalities similar to that online??

I have(n't) met any, will let you guys know what Han Solo is like in a few weeks. My msn impression of him is he's super chilled unlike the angry mod you guys portray him to be. Cristal entity likes to rage like me in dota.

6.What is it that you really care about/can't live without? Do you have any values/beliefs that you firmly subscribe to?

a) Family, friends, company in general. My body and my mind.
    b) No not really, just the typical moral values. Not religious or spiritual.

7. What are your feelings on someone like William Hung, who achieved his 15 minutes of fame and pocketed thousands by being the subject of ridicule and humiliating his entire race by being the stereotypical bucktoothed chinaman on center stage for all to laugh at?

I would like to straighten his buckteeth and sand it till it's smooth and lined up. I offer that for free to S Beaver too.
    I hate reality/idol TV in general, except you think you can dance

8. Have you cried for a girl before? What are your views on romance? What do you look for in a girlfriend?

a) No
    b) Romance is nice (wtf is this question, can you elaborate)
    c) Just like others have said, initial impression is based on looks, so being cute will get a guys attention, from then on its substance (personality, intelligence, caring, independence), cooking and cleaning always a bonus

9. If you had a choice of being any medical instrument, what would you be and why?

Ophthalmoscope - little/no physical contact with patient, doesn't get coughed on, sneezed on, pissed on, and other secretions etc.
    Honourable mention being external pacing, mammograms

10. If you were stranded on a deserted island for about a month or so, which 5 spcnet members will you want to be with, provided you can’t eat them?

What?? I had my knives sharpened for bunny and beaver meat.

Someone who can hunt/fish/forage.
    Someone who can cook.
    Someone who can treat illnesses.
    Someone who can set up camp.
    Someone who lights up like a beacon and attracts rescuers.

Preferably all hot females too (in which case the last role isn't that important)

lol Wicked, Yittz, wicked.

Interesting interview!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Calling for questions/comments for Yittz!

Mine:
    - Are you in New Zealand or Australia? How are they different and which do you like better?

b) Romance is nice (wtf is this question, can you elaborate)
    - Exactly, can you elaborate. It's an open-ended question for rambling on anything remotely related to guys, girls, romance, dating, love, marriage, whatever.

Someone who can treat illnesses.
    - Isn't that you, doc?

(Han Solo) he's super chilled unlike the angry mod you guys portray him to be.
    - Man, how can you say such a thing?! We all love Mod Han.

- A very down-to-earth interview really, a different Yittz, probably the real Yittz?

Calling for questions/comments for Yittz!

Mine:
    - Are you in New Zealand or Australia? How are they different and which do you like better?

- Exactly, can you elaborate. It's an open-ended question for rambling on anything remotely related to guys, girls, romance, dating, love, marriage, whatever.

- Isn't that you, doc?

- Man, how can you say such a thing?! We all love Mod Han.

- A very down-to-earth interview really, a different Yittz, probably the real Yittz?
    In Aus. NZ has a better rugby team (Aus is better at every other sport). Aus pronounce 6 like sex, NZ pronounce 6 like sux. Aus is big and flat, NZ is skinny and bumpy. They both have their good points. NZ is a nice holiday place, just to relax and enjoy the scenery, Aus is more with it and probably better for young ppl - more opportunities etc. (there can only be that many All Blacks )

I was refering to Han Solo in that survivor island post (I don't trust myself to stitch).

Hmm romance: can you make it a close question? I am pretty clueless all ready and have been known to miss hints. Since panda talked about true love - I think emotion/attraction dominates logical, objective judgements of qualities and problems. Once that initial fire and curiosity is gone, you see more clearly that object of affection, and problems become more appearant and glaring. Couple that work through that go through a greater emotional bonding - I am not sure if that's true love. Clearly i have nfi what I am on about. Marriage is far away, but some of my high schoolies are getting married.

There is no real yittz. My cousin call me two face, too bad I keep losing that damn coin. No wonder I am so indecisive.

Feel free to keep asking. Not sure if we covered PJ's awkward questions.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Hmm romance: can you make it a close question? I am pretty clueless all ready and have been known to miss hints. Since panda talked about true love - I think emotion/attraction dominates logical, objective judgements of qualities and problems. Once that initial fire and curiosity is gone, you see more clearly that object of affection, and problems become more appearant and glaring. Couple that work through that go through a greater emotional bonding - I am not sure if that's true love. Clearly i have nfi what I am on about. Marriage is far away, but some of my high schoolies are getting married.

There is no real yittz. My cousin call me two face, too bad I keep losing that damn coin. No wonder I am so indecisive.

Feel free to keep asking. Not sure if we covered PJ's awkward questions.
    Well my dear, since you seem so generous and broad-minded, the juicy question is: are you taken? How many girls in med school/hospital have asked you out? Or do you prefer to make the move yourself? OR, are you among those who place priority on study, and are in no hurry to actively seek romance?

How about those cute ba ba lamb all over hillsides in photos? Are those strictly from NZ?

And why did people call you Yittzy bear? Is it because bear is bigger than beaver?

Beave,

I changed it because I have reached the pinnacle of perfection of being ff2002, or is that the perfection of the pinnacle of ...? Whatever PJ would have said.

But seriously, I really should have done it a long time ago because I use that handle on my xanga and AIM. I don't want a collision of my worlds where my friends/family can search "ff2002" and see what I've said here.

It's too late now i know... but better late than never.

Yittzy,

Neither. I would go for the sweet vase MRL.

And I have a very classy question to ask you. As a doc, or future doc, do you recommend wiping back to front or front to back? I am talking about #2.

In my voluntary gig last week, I came across a 90 yr old patient who was constipated for a week and needed the doc to... you know... let it flow. The doc was a lil traumatized after that, and so was I because I had to help lift her onto a stretch and I also had to interpret (there WAS a curtain thank god). My question is, have you had to have this experience yet, and is there another medical procedure that you look forward less to than that?
    Last edited by jiang bao; 10-01-08 at 01:05 PM.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Oh oh! Now I noticed it.

Do you volunteer at the hospital Baobao?

My interview store has depleted. We still have CC, 0-0-0, Ghostie and Chancy.

I've heard from Ghostie about posting the interview in the near future, but if you are familiar with the others you may want to bug them a bit for their responses.

Meanwhile, a round applause for all the Interviewees so far!! Great reads and thank you!!

Keep posting questions or comments for them here!!

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

Hey sugar dum dum dum dum dum oh honey honey~ u are my candy girl ~ and I can't stop wanting/missing/loving you

Holla Sugar darling!! Check out my nice tan from Bali!! Heh heh heh
    Your panties are on too tight.