View Poll Results: Which team would win?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Khitan Goofball

    4 80.00%
  • Snowy Flower Leaf

    1 20.00%
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Gu Long's 50th best fighter -vs- Jin Yong's 15th best fighter

  1. #1
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,419

    Default Gu Long's 50th best fighter -vs- Jin Yong's 15th best fighter

    Gu Long wrote some 50 novels, while Jin Yong only wrote about 15, so it would be unfair to compare their best fighters to each other, since Gu Long would have many more. If we adjust the cut to reflect the real ratio, then we should compare Gu Long's 50th best fighter to Jin Yong's 15th best fighter. And to make it a little more flexible, let's compare 3 fighters around each level.

    Problem is, who are those fighters?

    Well, we have to go by something, so let's go by the respective bibles of Jin Yong and Gu Long rankings: Laviathan's ranking and TigerWong's ranking.

    According to Laviathan, the 14th, 15th, and 16th best Jin Yong fighters are Golden Wheel Monk, Zhou Botong, and Xiao Yuanshan.

    According to TigerWong, the 48th, 49th, and 50th best Gu Long fighters are Ye Kai, Fu Hongxue, and Hua Zhenzhen.

    Which team would win?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  2. #2
    Senior Member TigerWong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Gu Long wrote some 50 novels, while Jin Yong only wrote about 15, so it would be unfair to compare their best fighters to each other, since Gu Long would have many more. If we adjust the cut to reflect the real ratio, then we should compare Gu Long's 50th best fighter to Jin Yong's 15th best fighter. And to make it a little more flexible, let's compare 3 fighters around each level.

    Problem is, who are those fighters?

    Well, we have to go by something, so let's go by the respective bibles of Jin Yong and Gu Long rankings: Laviathan's ranking and TigerWong's ranking.

    According to Laviathan, the 14th, 15th, and 16th best Jin Yong fighters are Golden Wheel Monk, Zhou Botong, and Xiao Yuanshan.

    According to TigerWong, the 48th, 49th, and 50th best Gu Long fighters are Ye Kai, Fu Hongxue, and Hua Zhenzhen.

    Which team would win?
    I'm staying out of this one. But to be fair, if you want to refer to that old ranking, it was a heavily truncated list, otherwise hardly anybody would recognize any of the names at the time.

    A better sampling of fighters around the 50s might actually be CLX, LXF, and XMCX. Heck, they might even be lower...
    Last edited by TigerWong; 09-16-08 at 07:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,419

    Default

    Really? Who are these other ELOCs that were left out? Do they include Dugu Yihe?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  4. #4
    Senior Member TigerWong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Really? Who are these other ELOCs that were left out? Do they include Dugu Yihe?
    No. A lot of them are from the earlier works, including epic novels such as: Tale of a Remarkable Sword; Swordsman's Journey; Poisonous Sword, Fragrant Plum Blossom; Lingering Fragrance in a Rain of Swords (GL sure has a lot of sweet smelling titles!); and even the time-to-time referenced but rarely discussed Lovers' Arrow.

    Even with the recent explosion in GL translations here in the past few years, thats still less than half of his novels that have been brought to light in these forums. So there are quite a few ELOCs out there to whet even your appetite.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Aww shucks. When I first saw the beginning of this thread title, I thought Tiger finally updated his GL top 50. Perhaps Tiger is still waiting for that one day when more people have digested enough GL novels so that the GL top 50 can actually represent something bigger.

    PJ, have you ventured in educating us on "ELOC"s of Gu Long characters yet? You do not need to even dig that much. I mean, just by introducing to us a main character from an unheard novel is already a lot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong View Post
    A better sampling of fighters around the 50s might actually be CLX, LXF, and XMCX. Heck, they might even be lower...
    Hmmm, would Ye and Fu be lower than LXF and XMCX? I would put em about the same. Unless you are talking about the 18 yr old versions.

  7. #7
    Senior Member TigerWong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Hmmm, would Ye and Fu be lower than LXF and XMCX? I would put em about the same. Unless you are talking about the 18 yr old versions.
    Yeah, I generally think of Ye/Fu as their younger versions. Because no one really knows how strong Ye got.. and as for older Fu vs. LXF/XMCX, we can save that for another time.

Similar Threads

  1. Jin Yong's best fighters Vs Gu Long's Best fighters
    By Trien Chieu in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-11-14, 03:02 PM
  2. Best Female Fighter in Jin Yong Universe
    By Temujin in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-02-12, 06:14 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-14-11, 05:38 AM
  4. Battle of the Century : Jin Yong's Best VS Gu Long's Best
    By chickenfeet in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 623
    Last Post: 03-25-09, 04:52 PM
  5. Jin Yong's King vs. Gu Long's Fab Four
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-06, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •