Thread: Disk Imaging / Cloning as Backup

Default Disk Imaging / Cloning as Backup

I would like to find out more about imaging/cloning the hard-disk of a PC as a backup strategy.

Basically, the PCs at my workplace are installed with some proprietary software that is a pre-requisite for the work that we do, but very costly to re-install in the event of a hard-disk crash/failure.

Therefore, I would like to find out:
    1. whether disk imaging or cloning would be a good backup strategy.
    2. how the disk imaging or cloning (e.g. software, hardware, method, etc) could be done.

I'm not to concerned about losing documents that we generate along the way (daily operations) during a crash, as they are usually copies of the files in off-site machines. My only concern is to restore the pre-requisite proprietary software without having to pay for it, as if we are buying to all over again (no, the owners of the software do not give us the installation disks, so they get to charge us an arm and two legs each time we need to re-install).

Many thanks in advance to all who help.

HYS
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

What you need to do is to copied the whole hard-drive mainly the C drive and save it as an image file.

Usually this need to be done whenever you done with the OS installation and all the required and important software are already completed with its installation. Once done, use the imaging software to do the whole partition backup.

There are two ways that you can do for the backup operation:

1) backup to a DVD-R or USB
    2) backup to another partition on your HD

the problem with option 2, if your whole HD crashed and damaged, then everything gone so that is why you also need to do backup to external device (DVD/USB).

Ok, now the important part is how you're going to do the complete restore process if something bad happen or your registry cluttered and the system is very slow. To be able to do a complete restore to the C drive you must have a write access to it. The problem is, if you boot your OS as normal you cannot do anything to C partition as it is now write protected by the OS.

What you need to do is a bootable CD that can boot your system and run the restore application. So this is very important that you create a bootable CD whenever you do backup process, otherwise you cannot rewrite your HD with backup files that you store on your DVD/USB.

The best software to do this is Acronis Suite: http://www.acronis.com.sg/homecomput...FQoUbwodahM7fQ

This is an all in one software that include a backup software and bootable DVD that can boot a lite OS and run the Acronis restore software to do system restore using the backup files that you put in the DVD/USB drive.

Any software can be used actually (Norton Ghost, Farstone DriveClone etc.), but make sure the software that you used has the bootable capability, otherwise you cannot do complete restore operation for your whole C partition.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 09-19-08 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks, atlantean!

A couple more questions:

1. If I can't get the budget approval to buy the software recommended (it's almost the end of the year and allocations are low), is there an open source alternative, or a trial software by another company that has no limitations?

2. You talked about copying to an external device. Would the (any) software be able to copy directly to the device? It would probably take hours, wouldn't it? If it takes hours, is the process usually hassle-free (i.e. I don't have to keep an eye on it), so I can actually leave it to run?

Many thanks again!
    Soon ... SOON!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Thanks, atlantean!

A couple more questions:

1. If I can't get the budget approval to buy the software recommended (it's almost the end of the year and allocations are low), is there an open source alternative, or a trial software by another company that has no limitations?

2. You talked about copying to an external device. Would the (any) software be able to copy directly to the device? It would probably take hours, wouldn't it? If it takes hours, is the process usually hassle-free (i.e. I don't have to keep an eye on it), so I can actually leave it to run?

Many thanks again!
    There is one free called DriveImage XML at: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

However you need to burn the software into a bootable CD/DVD using Bart PE. It's a complex stuff. Just check the website.

About the external device, it's actually writing to DVD-R. Burning 4.5GB using 4X only take about 15 minutes and 8X about 8 minutes. Usually the whole OS (Windows XP and all other software/application) only take about 15 to 20 GB of space, so only need 4 DVD-R which will take only one hour to be done using 4X DVD writer.

Bart PE: http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm

This is all very fussy that is why I used the Acronis Ultimate Boot CD. Just google it.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 09-19-08 at 10:44 AM.

Many thanks again, atlantean!

I'll go through all your suggestions in detail and come up with a plan of some sort. Maybe you can help be check if the plan is all right when I'm done later.

Thanks again!
    Soon ... SOON!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Maybe you can help be check if the plan is all right when I'm done later.
    Ok, on one condition, please put out the latest SPT chapters ASAP - Ok (just kidding )

No bother, I'm happy to help my fellow Malaysian.

Ha! I too wish I could translate more frequently than I currently do.

PC maintenance is but one of the many big/small annoyances that I have to deal with, on top of the necessary things that I do at work. How I wish there was a proper person in charge of IT/tech matters, but that person would probably spend 95% of his time twiddling his thumbs ... unless I can turn him into my assistant and make him go after all the other big/small (non IT/tech) annoyances as well!

Thanks for your help; I really appreciate it!
    Soon ... SOON!