Thread: 2009 Mediacorp Chinese Dramas

Default 2009 Mediacorp Chinese Dramas

For … Aiyoyo fans:
    REUNION DINNER 团员饭 - Jan 6 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm Three typical heartland families, one extraordinary reunion dinner… Let Chen Liping, Kym Ng, Chen Hanwei, Patricia Mok and Wang Yuqing warm your hearts this Chinese New Year as they find out what this annual gathering of families really means in the most unexpected circumstances.

Cast: Chen Liping, Kym Ng, Patricia Mok, Chen Hanwei, Wang Yuqing, Alan Tern, Zhu Houren, Koh Yah Hwee and more

For … star-struck Seven Princesses followers:
    THE DREAM-CATCHERS 未来不是梦(剧名暂定)- Feb 4 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm Three of the seven princesses show what they can do with beauty and brains as they take on the roles of engineers whose dream is to create a better future. The drama traces career and love ambitions of the young dreamers through their romances, aspirations and setbacks, as they overcome all obstacles to achieve their goals.

Cast: Rui En, Joanne Peh, Dawn Yeo, Tay Ping Hui, Shaun Chen, Nat Ho, Elvin Ng, Eelyn Kok

For … um, housewives, and Oprah fans:
    HOUSEWIVES’ HOLIDAYS 煮妇的假期 - March 4 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm
    The always-underappreciated housewife goes centre stage in this drama. When three housewives have finally had enough of being overlooked, they drop everything to go on a much-needed break, sending their families into a panic, as they realize the mums’ worth and start to worry about them.

Cast: Hong Hui Fang, Ann Kok, Xiang Yun, Brandon Wong, Rayson Tan, Yao Wenlong

For … post-Olympics table tennis converts:
    TABLE OF GLORY 乒乓圆- April 1 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm
    Table-tennis fever continues its feverish hype from the last Olympics win and upcoming Youth Olympics in this drama about how a bunch of young people braving all obstacles to become the nation’s pride.

Cast: Joshua Ang (I Not Stupid)

For … anyone who’s ever been frustrated with school (i.e. everyone?):
    MY SCHOOL DAZE 书包太重 (剧名暂定)- April 29 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm
    In the humdrum of today’s rat race, parents and even teachers might unwittingly forget the true meaning of education.

In a light-hearted yet down-to-earth tone, My School Daze looks at the changing attitudes of education-providers and the conflicts between the old and new teachers, as they grapple with changes in the scholastic landscape.

Cast: To be confirmed

For … those too outdated to believe that Fann and Zoe will ever be anything but enemies:
    THE ULTIMATUM 双子星 - May 27 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm
    A stellar cast with Zoe Tay, Fann Wong (yes, the last time was 14 years ago when the two Ah Jies met in ‘The Golden Pillow’), Li Nanxing, Tay Ping Hui, Felicia Chin, and Elvin Ng, The Ultimatum unites the ‘Kings & Queens’ of local television in a 30-episode blockbuster. With a plot revolving around the lives of the rich and trendy, it has all the makings of an enthralling, must-watch drama serial. Viewers will be glued to their tellies as rivalries unfold and romances, with a twist of fate, blossom.

Cast: Zoe Tay, Fann Wong, Li Nanxing, Tay Ping Hui, Felicia Chin, Elvin Ng, and introducing newcomer Zhang Zhen Huan ( ‘U Are the One’) plus Hong Hui Fang, Chen Shu Cheng, Constance Song, Darren Lim, Cynthia Koh, Terence Cao, Lin Mei Jiao, Jerry Yeo

For … everyone!:
    YOUR HAND IN MINE 想握你的手- Nov 11 '09, Mon-Fri, 7pm
    If you loved the hit series Holland V, you cannot miss Channel 8’s 2009 long-form drama offering – the 180-episode Your Hand in Mine. It boasts a stellar cast including Chen Liping, Joanne Peh, Pierre Png, Yvonne Lim, Belinda Lee, Shaun Chen, Dawn Yeoh and many more. Taking the cue from local talking points and happenings, this series is light-hearted and promises excellent entertainment for the whole family!

Cast: Chen Liping, Huang Wen Yong, Joanne Peh, Pierre Png, Yvonne Lim, Belinda Lee, Dawn Yeoh, Yao Wen Long, Shaun Chen, Ann Kok, Cavin Soh, Chen Shu Cheng, Pan Ling Ling, Chen Tian Wen, Zhang Yao Dong, Adam Chen

Thanks for the list, bluewave.

No.1 looks like a family drama. Yawn.

No.2... sounds like a recycled plot. I will skip that, too.

No.4 Yet another sports drama. I have a feeling it's going to be a flop like its few recent predecessors. I've never watched "The Champion" (?) but I read it's no good. BBB was a stupid drama too, in an overall sense.

No.5 already sounds like "I Not Stupid".
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

It seems like Singapore is regurgitating its plots. Always the same themes.

Gosh, Singapore dramas sounds really disappointing and boring and repetitive (kinda like TVB, I guess). I quite enjoyed Mediacorp dramas from the 90's. This is just sad.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Hmmm... seems like the only drama worth watching is The Ultimatum with Zoe, Fann and Nanxing.. the rest doesn't really look interesting..

Nothing strikes me as original, same old formats, same old faces.
    Will Mediacorp ever produce good dramas again like they did in the 90s?
    Sigh...

I'm only looking towards for The Ultimatum. Haven't seen a Singapore series about the rich people plotting and scheming while enjoying their luxuries for quite some times.

I have not seen TV shows from Singapore. I don't know for sure if they can come up with a sensible one.hahaha.

I don't know about you guys but I'm generally loath to making comments about shows I haven't watched. Preconceptions can sometimes be self-fulfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I'm generally loath to making comments about shows I haven't watched. Preconceptions can sometimes be self-fulfilling.
    Perhaps you are right, but it's hard not to form preconceptions after being fed with shitty drama serials for YEARS.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Perhaps you are right, but it's hard not to form preconceptions after being fed with shitty drama serials for YEARS.
    I don't consider Mediacorp serials to be generally "shitty". At least not when compared to other Chinese language shows in general. But I think the issue of whether Mediacorp is good or bad is a little more complex than some people realise.

Suffice to say that I'd suggest being careful with preconceptions, that's all.

I think no.3 reminds me of TVB drama The Family Link

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Wow!, Li Nanxing and Zoe Tay new drama!!! . I wish my tv aerial can be more higher, at the moment it's only induce headache to watch because of bad reception at my place in Jb. I missed watching TCS5/8/Channel U of the old days, the unbeatables etc.

Now that I'm relocating, my current location cannot get good signal from Singapore terrestrial broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    For … star-struck Seven Princesses followers:
    THE DREAM-CATCHERS 未来不是梦(剧名暂定)- Feb 4 '09, Mon-Fri, 9pm Three of the seven princesses show what they can do with beauty and brains as they take on the roles of engineers whose dream is to create a better future. The drama traces career and love ambitions of the young dreamers through their romances, aspirations and setbacks, as they overcome all obstacles to achieve their goals.

Cast: Rui En, Joanne Peh, Dawn Yeo, Tay Ping Hui, Shaun Chen, Nat Ho, Elvin Ng, Eelyn Kok

For … everyone!:
    YOUR HAND IN MINE 想握你的手- Nov 11 '09, Mon-Fri, 7pm
    If you loved the hit series Holland V, you cannot miss Channel 8’s 2009 long-form drama offering – the 180-episode Your Hand in Mine. It boasts a stellar cast including Chen Liping, Joanne Peh, Pierre Png, Yvonne Lim, Belinda Lee, Shaun Chen, Dawn Yeoh and many more. Taking the cue from local talking points and happenings, this series is light-hearted and promises excellent entertainment for the whole family!

Cast: Chen Liping, Huang Wen Yong, Joanne Peh, Pierre Png, Yvonne Lim, Belinda Lee, Dawn Yeoh, Yao Wen Long, Shaun Chen, Ann Kok, Cavin Soh, Chen Shu Cheng, Pan Ling Ling, Chen Tian Wen, Zhang Yao Dong, Adam Chen
    Looking forward to watch Shaun in The Dream-Catchers & Your Hand In Mine ~ ~ ~ shooting for The Dream-Catchers have started . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lindalim View Post
    Looking forward to watch Shaun in The Dream-Catchers & Your Hand In Mine ~ ~ ~ shooting for The Dream-Catchers have started . . .
    wow, all star cast!!
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others