Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How has the current Financial Meltdown/Recession hurt you?

Default How has the current Financial Meltdown/Recession hurt you?

Everyone of us is in some way affected by the present poor economic conditions.
    How bad are the damages? How long do you think you will take to recover from the loss. Or do you think you will ever recover from the hits.
    If you are fortunate enough to escape losses, do you still need to to cut back your personal spendings

Time to talk about it, it is good therapy
    Last edited by Thor; 10-14-08 at 04:35 PM.

this is opportunity time it HELPED me more than it hurt
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

INDEED - Gas prices are low, stock prices are virtually worthless (great time to buy some undervalued stocks), and the Republican presidential candidate is likely to take a hit from this financial disaster. This is about as good as it gets, folks.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    INDEED - Gas prices are low, stock prices are virtually worthless (great time to buy some undervalued stocks), and the Republican presidential candidate is likely to take a hit from this financial disaster. This is about as good as it gets, folks.
    hell yea lol, my morgan stanley stock rose 96% yesterday, ka ching!!!!
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Since I'm not in the US it hasn't hurt me much. But it has prompted our Reserve Bank to lower interest rates which is good for the mortgage.

it will probably take me minimum 3 months to recover from the financial crisis and im already starting to cut on my spending because of that.

Australia is feeling it pretty hard now and it's only the start. We're only now probably going through what you guys in the US went through since start of last year.
    I think Lehman Bro's failing was the card that brought the house of cards down.

I'm not spending any more or less than before but I'll be lucky to still have this same job next year.
    If I'm fired, I'm going to backpack through Europe. Maybe. I'm not sure if it would be nice seeing people all gloomy because of the global recession.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 03-12-09 at 09:28 AM.

job-wise, it is getting more and more scary. business has weakened considerably.

But thank goodness, I managed to dump all my shares in the first half of last year, before the Lehman issue comes in.

Guess what, I went to grad school, got my degree, and what did that get me? Long hours and a 50%+ paycut!

LOL
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Hmmm, my academic results are never glamourous. I keep an opened heart for learning always, I know my art of social engineering and deal with situations strategically.

Guess what? I've got me a new job, a better renumeration package and a higher ground. Thank the lord for that! Hallelujah!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

So far the current economic crisis hasn't impacted my job (fingers crossed that that continues to be the case), but it has impacted my husband. He works in a very small non-profit agency that supports the drug and alcohol addiction counseling field, which is not state-operated but gets a lot of indirect funding from the state. Since the government is cutting the budget, many addiction counselors are not coming to my husband's agency for certification, so they've had to cut back on their office hours. That means less pay for him.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Guess what, I went to grad school, got my degree, and what did that get me? Long hours and a 50%+ paycut!

LOL
    The more education you have the wiser you are. Even if your earning doesn't increase significantly, your life will be better due to ability of making better decision and better management. Don't expect to make 100k+ a year with your master degree.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post

LOL
    I did the same thing except that I don't have a job now... This bad economy is affecting me since it is so hard to find a job. I plan to go overseas, but this whole recession is affecting the entire world as well.My brother got laid off for 2 days each month,but we are lucky that he still has a job. My oldest brother has been unemployed for over 2 years and it seems to be getting worse.... So for everyone that has a job, be happy that you do...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Which is why people should stop bragging of getting new jobs in a time of recession for other people.

The payoff of education is very often not worth it. But people do it for different reasons, not just employment. Education in itself is supposedly a way to gain respect and status. Or personal achievement, the whole "I can do this and I achieved this" type of thinking. So value of an education is not purely monetary.
    ok

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Which is why people should stop bragging of getting new jobs in a time of recession for other people.

The payoff of education is very often not worth it. But people do it for different reasons, not just employment. Education in itself is supposedly a way to gain respect and status. Or personal achievement, the whole "I can do this and I achieved this" type of thinking. So value of an education is not purely monetary.
    I totally agree!! I really don't understand why people like to brag about getting new jobs during tough times like this? Is it so that they can look down on and laugh at others?? One of my classmates did that and I got very upset with her...

Education is not all about getting paid more. A lot of people have high degrees but don't make as much as someone that dropped out of college. I think it is important to do a rewarding job and a job that we enjoy rather than just making money.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

it has hit me huhuhu...i cant find a job abroad anymore..there used to be some in the newspaper but no more now huhuhuhu
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

Quote Originally Posted by big master View Post
    it has hit me huhuhu...i cant find a job abroad anymore..there used to be some in the newspaper but no more now huhuhuhu
    Which type of job were you looking for?? In my field, there are plenty abroad. In fact, so many that I can't seem to decide..

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post

Frankly, I would advise anyone to not waste time going to college if you have a skill that you can make money with after high school. The stuff taught in school usually aren't practical.

I am basically learning on the fly on my job cuz in grad school, they didn't really teach me anything I could use other than very basic knowledge that I could have learned on my own by googling.

The reason i went back to school was because my boss was driving me nuts and I wanted to switch careers. Switch careers I did, but a huge step backward in pay. (And I used to work in one of the lowest paying industries) And my timing couldn't have been worse, one week after I started, the market collapse started.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Frantasy Land, CA AKA / Alias / Pen Name: Frantasy Honorary Title: 蓝莲花

Negative: Hours cut from my job, but at least I have not lost it...yet?

Positive: $$$ everywhere in the stock market. If you have the extra money, and is willing to take the risk, you can make A LOT. Stock prices are all over the place, best time for short term investments. I've made 100%+ profits from what I've put in and there's more to come.

I hate to say this, but recession/depression = best time to make money off the market, so take advantage of it.

So, even though I'm making less from my job, I make more in a week from trading, than I make in a month from my job. The economy will stablize sooner or later, trading is just a side job, I still want to keep my job for reference.

P.S. Extremely risky, do not play unless you are willing to lose a lot or lose it all. Plus, get ready to deal with a crap load of stress from just sitting, watching, and worrying about your investments. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Which type of job were you looking for?? In my field, there are plenty abroad. In fact, so many that I can't seem to decide..
    im looking for product/project coordinator jobs in china. i can't seem to find one for expats these days huhuhu
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!