Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Wudi: Chinese Ugly Betty

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    So it's still the same message. It's ok to be ugly only if you really aren't. Is it not possible to show an "ugly" person finding happiness with a normal guy? I understand the idea that no one wants to watch a series about an actually ugly person, but why make a farce that is a series about a fake ugly person?

(I know the answer is for ratings, but it just underscores how BS the entertainmet industry is)

At least ABC chose a relatively normal looking person to play Ugly Betty.
    I don't really see that as the message at all. Like most entertainment productions, it's fake, but no more of a farce than many other productions where healthy people play handicapped people, dumb celebrities take on roles of intelligent individuals, svelte models put on fat suits, etc. Most people watch this stuff for entertainment value and escapism, not for a factual reflection of real life.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

So it's still the same message. It's ok to be ugly only if you really aren't. Is it not possible to show an "ugly" person finding happiness with a normal guy? I understand the idea that no one wants to watch a series about an actually ugly person, but why make a farce that is a series about a fake ugly person?

(I know the answer is for ratings, but it just underscores how BS the entertainmet industry is)

At least ABC chose a relatively normal looking person to play Ugly Betty.
    Is is a farce when an ugly person plays a hot character? a la Deng Chao in HSDS or Liu Ye as an "adonis" like character in Lan Yu?

Whatever, get over your high and mighty pretensions and stop living in this fake moralism, because the entertainment world would not survive if every character was casted exactly to a tee.

I'm going to repeat it here:

Hunan TV (owner of most of the Supergirls) could have casted someone ugly very easily, and gotten very high ratings, because the majority Supergirls are not beautiful, and yet are the most loved people in China right now.
    Last edited by aznjacinda; 12-20-08 at 12:35 AM.

I didn't realize I was living in not just "moralism," but "fake moralism." I guess I'll look myself in the mirror and slap myself out of this high and mighty pretentious own world of mine that I live in. LOL

The point that I have been making is not that every actor has to fit the character to a tee. The point is that in an industry where looks and who you know are more important than your talent, in a show where the less gorgeous actress could get a shot, it's still going to a beautiful person. It would be nice to have a normal looking or ugly girl take the lead in a series about an ugly person.

To Lady Zhuge, your examples of the mentally challenged and handicapped people do not apply. Those people have physical and mental impairments that create serious obstacles in the filming process. Ugly people do not.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

The point that I have been making is not that every actor has to fit the character to a tee. The point is that in an industry where looks and who you know are more important than your talent, in a show where the less gorgeous actress could get a shot, it's still going to a beautiful person. It would be nice to have a normal looking or ugly girl take the lead in a series about an ugly person.
    Just because Li Xin Ru is pretty doesn't mean she can't be talented too. If she can look the part with the right makeup and do the role justice, I see no problem with the casting. And how do you know that a less attractive actress didn't get a shot at this role? It's just as likely that actresses even more attractive than Li Xin Ru were passed over as well.

In addition to sheer luck, I agree that who you know in the industry is very important, but looks and talent are sometimes toss-ups.

To Lady Zhuge, your examples of the mentally challenged and handicapped people do not apply. Those people have physical and mental impairments that create serious obstacles in the filming process. Ugly people do not.
    That's because you're generalizing. Any limitations during the filming process would depend on the type of handicap and the extent of the handicap. And by "dumb", I wasn't referring to mentally challenged people.

Default Pretty Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao
    Have you seen the show? The title shouldn't be taken literally. After watching the entire first season, I'd make the following observations:

i) The show isn't really about ugly people. It's actually mostly about beautiful people. More generally, it's about image - and specifically about how image is manufactured and, ultimately, fake. The beautiful people are contrasted with some less beautiful people, but the latter aren't "ugly" per se.

ii) Lin Wudi, the eponymous "ugly girl", isn't really the star of the show. The show is actually more of an ensemble drama than one that focuses very much on a single character. Wudi has surprisingly little screentime. Wudi's boss - the rich, glamourous alpha male Fei Denan - is at least as prominent as she is.

iii) Wudi doesn't fit in at her workplace, but arguably, that has more to do with her frumpiness, clumsiness (both physical and social), working-class background and old-fashioned outlook than her pure natural beauty (or lack of). Her "ugliness" is only one of many reasons why she's a misfit, and not the most important; it quickly ceases to be a real issue.

In other words, "Chou Nu Wu Di" should be read as a title and not as a product description. It's not "about" ugly people or an ugly person, and Wudi herself is a misfit rather than merely unattractive.

Given the above, I don't see the problem with casting a pretty actress as Wudi. CNWD is basically a Cinderella-esque fairytale (albeit a clever and very slickly-executed one), so you need a Cinderella; and Wudi's unattractiveness, as fits the theme of the show, is of the man-made variety (and can therefore be changed). If anything, the problem with Li Xinru is in her acting, which is competent but lacking in depth and flair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    That's because you're generalizing. Any limitations during the filming process would depend on the type of handicap and the extent of the handicap. And by "dumb", I wasn't referring to mentally challenged people.
    Yes I am generalizing, but I have to. I simply can't go into each possible disability and discuss whether each one presents practical difficulties for the filming process. However, in general, disabled people do present more problems than ugly people due to the need for accommodations and possible inability to perform require actions. I know what you mean by dumb. It's the same point. More intelligent people are in general better at jobs which require certain levels of creativity and flexibility.

Again, my point is not that all roles should be filled by people who fit the character descriptions. If we did this, we'd see the same actors play the same types of characters. I wrote my point very clearly several times already, including in the last post.

-----

Dear owbjhx, thanks for the description. I don't follow this show or Asian series in general. I was in the mainland tv shows section to look at the LOCH thread and noticed the "American Ugly Betty" description.

The others seem to think the girl who plays the "ugly girl" can act. I wouldn't know. I assumed the premise is similar to the Ugly Betty series based on the title description.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Yes I am generalizing, but I have to. I simply can't go into each possible disability and discuss whether each one presents practical difficulties for the filming process. However, in general, disabled people do present more problems than ugly people due to the need for accommodations and possible inability to perform require actions. I know what you mean by dumb. It's the same point. More intelligent people are in general better at jobs which require certain levels of creativity and flexibility.
    You don't "have to", but just choose to do so. The other option is to just not paint with such a broad brush. Your response shows that you're still misinterpreting my example of "dumb celebrities." What does dumb celebrities playing smart roles have to do with more intelligent people being better at jobs which require certain levels of creativity and flexibility?

Again, my point is not that all roles should be filled by people who fit the character descriptions. If we did this, we'd see the same actors play the same types of characters. I wrote my point very clearly several times already, including in the last post.
    I understand what your point is and already addressed it above.

The point is that in an industry where looks and who you know are more important than your talent, in a show where the less gorgeous actress could get a shot, it's still going to a beautiful person. It would be nice to have a normal looking or ugly girl take the lead in a series about an ugly person.
    Just because Li Xin Ru is pretty doesn't mean she can't be talented too. If she can look the part with the right makeup and do the role justice, I see no problem with the casting. And how do you know that a less attractive actress didn't get a shot at this role? It's just as likely that actresses even more attractive than Li Xin Ru were passed over as well.

Great series! Anyone else finish? the ending leaves a lot left answered though

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao
    Dear owbjhx, thanks for the description. I don't follow this show or Asian series in general. I was in the mainland tv shows section to look at the LOCH thread and noticed the "American Ugly Betty" description.

The others seem to think the girl who plays the "ugly girl" can act. I wouldn't know. I assumed the premise is similar to the Ugly Betty series based on the title description.
    No probs.

Actually, I'd also say Li Xinru can act - which is no small matter in an industry where people don't so much act as mime. It's just that she's not outstanding. But in general, I'd say she fits the role quite well.

Chinese audience think the "ugly Wudi" is not ugly, just another girl dressed in goofy way. They should change the name of the series to "pretty Wudi" instead

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...china.uglywudi

i think by the way Wu Di is dressed and made up, she's really ugly. But of course, she's going to be pretty because in all the 'ugly betty' versions, the 'betty' in the final episode gets a makeover and turns out to be gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by kiropuppy View Post
    i think by the way Wu Di is dressed and made up, she's really ugly. But of course, she's going to be pretty because in all the 'ugly betty' versions, the 'betty' in the final episode gets a makeover and turns out to be gorgeous.
    oh really? thats how they all turn out? is that how its gonna be on the american version of ugly betty too then?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/3099809244_a59223e4a6.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/3099809426_6eb2e7397e.jpg?v=0')
    Is she really ugly?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/3099809332_952d3e2723.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/3098973429_0330fbfa32.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/3098973743_1044a79824.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/3099807806_9ed1fefb1d.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/3098973563_dd3d390054.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/3098974963_4be2b0642e.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3098975281_6b417e4b49.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/3099808366_0edfc4a352.jpg?v=0')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/3098974211_7663cbc504.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/3099807940_0407cfef32.jpg?v=0')

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaby View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/3098974211_7663cbc504.jpg?v=0')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/3099807940_0407cfef32.jpg?v=0')
    why is there a CW sign at the bottom of the second pic?

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    why is there a CW sign at the bottom of the second pic?
    God knows

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaby View Post
    God knows
    haha.

but she does look really pretty though. at some angles, she even reminds me of liu yi fei.

oh really? thats how they all turn out? is that how its gonna be on the american version of ugly betty too then?
    i think in the original Comlumbian version (Betty La Fea), she gets a makeover and turns out really pretty and ends up with the guy she likes. Not sure about the other versions though.

Quote Originally Posted by kiropuppy View Post
    i think in the original Comlumbian version (Betty La Fea), she gets a makeover and turns out really pretty and ends up with the guy she likes. Not sure about the other versions though.
    is the guy she likes her boss?

is the guy she likes her boss?
    yup. and ends up marrying him.