Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [ IP MAN? ]

Watched it...was any of it even partially accurate?
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing View Post
    Watched it...was any of it even partially accurate?
    yes the japanese invaded china

haha kidding, im not sure actually
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I don't get what the big hype is about. Sure it's a pretty good kungfu movie, sure wing chun looks good and Donnie Yen displayed it well, but no way is it THE movie, and I don't see how it can compare to Fearless.

The only part it did better than Fearless was Donnie's acting > Jet Li.

Plot wise, the start was slow, it only really picked up when the Northerners came. The fight versus 10 japanese was good, but the final fight was a let down. Once again the Japanese were stereotyped and history was twisted out of recognition.

Character wise, none of them were any where near as good as the ones in fearless. HYJ was about growth and learning and true understanding of martial arts, as much as I liked Donnie's portrayal, Ip Man was static. He was cool and calm all the way through. I mean it's nice to have a perfect character you can learn from, but I find HYJ's change throughout the movie more engrossing. The supporting female lead, as in all martial arts movies, had little to do in both movies. But I liked the mute acting a lot more than Donnie's martial arts hating wife. Of course the Japanese fighter in Ip Man, cannot come close to the Japanese character in Fearless. Cotton owner was a boring and was only there really to demonstrate how great Ip Man was as a friend, whereas HYJ's lifelong friend was so much more. He displayed the frailties of HYJ and demonstrated the qualites of a true friend. These comparisons can be made all the way through the minor characters.

Fighting wise, yes Wing Chun is nice, but really how can you compare it to the 4 big fights of Fearless. Ip Man's were so one sided, and only Fearless truely demonstrated how there are no winners in a fight at the same time as showing the champion qualities in the fighters.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

the fighting is great especially with 10 japanese
    Last edited by palelite2; 04-30-09 at 06:57 AM.

btw the sequel was already released wide world

Ip Man 2's plot was more or less the same as the first, but of course for this movie you are really going for the fights.

There are three very good fights in part2 - 1) the first fight Ip Man had with the Hung master, 2) the Hung master's fight with the British boxer, 3) Ip Man's fight with the British boxer.

Without revealing too much, number two made me cry while number three kept me on my toes. The number three fight, which is the finale fight, is a lot more better than the one in the first movie. It is a lot less one-sided and so much more exciting, even if the audience knew Ip Man was going to win eventually.

At the end of the final fight, the theatre broke into a round of applause. A lot of Chinese pride there.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Yip Man was Bruce Lee's Wing Chun sifu right? Is there a Bruce Lee cameo?
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Yip Man was Bruce Lee's Wing Chun sifu right? Is there a Bruce Lee cameo?
    Yes, and it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Ip Man 2's plot was more or less the same as the first, but of course for this movie you are really going for the fights.

There are three very good fights in part2 - 1) the first fight Ip Man had with the Hung master, 2) the Hung master's fight with the British boxer, 3) Ip Man's fight with the British boxer.

Without revealing too much, number two made me cry while number three kept me on my toes. The number three fight, which is the finale fight, is a lot more better than the one in the first movie. It is a lot less one-sided and so much more exciting, even if the audience knew Ip Man was going to win eventually.
    Yes, it was very exciting, the three fights. The 2nd fight was indeed very sad. I thought, among all the Shifus, Master Hung is the only who has physical size (good enough) to challenge the British boxer. Master Ip Man appeared more fragile and petite.

I just wonder, did that fight actually happened as part of the history?

At the end of the final fight, the theatre broke into a round of applause. A lot of Chinese pride there.
    Yes, and I went "What the F....?!" O_O then I thought it's funny.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

It's all fictional. Yip Man doesn't fight. He's just the patriarch of Wing Chun.

I just watched Ip Man 2.

Ip Man > Ip Man 2
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

watched the IP Man (1). This movie somehow slip off my attention and it is because of the TITLE! And I almost think it is a comedy movie, worse is the IP Man2 come in the same week of IRON MAN 2 in Singapore... very confusing maaan.

Now back to IP man 1, the plot is simple but good. sure a lot of asian slow motion dramatic scenes. fighting scenes are good, the first with his challenger in his house was great and the northern fight is great as well.

if i am still a teenager I will surely look for a wing chun sifu now...

looking for Ip Man 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bei Rongkun View Post
    watched the IP Man (1). This movie somehow slip off my attention and it is because of the TITLE! And I almost think it is a comedy movie, worse is the IP Man2 come in the same week of IRON MAN 2 in Singapore... very confusing maaan.
    I thought it was an information technology movie.

i think the first was better than the sequel, but the last fighting between ipman and the boxer was awesome

I like the fight between Sammo and Duel. That table flipping was awesome.

My friend said at the final fight at the final moment, Ip Man actually used the martial art of several martial art masters to defeat Twister. I didn't notice that while watching, but, when she mentioned it, I realised it's true. He used Master Hung fist style and a style from Master Lo (the master who use praying mantis fist) and ended it with his own Wing Chun fist.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩