Thread: Great Mystery/Thriller Novel Recommendations?

Default Great Mystery/Thriller Novel Recommendations?

Please recommend some excellent mystery or mystery/thriller novels for me to read. I'll probably won't get to them now, but I will some time in the near-future.

Please list titles and authors, a brief summary (without spoilers) and why you liked the book.

Thanks,

SS
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default A Couple of Good Mysteries

The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldon

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

If TV thriller series, Criminal Minds, would come in printed book form, I would highly recommend it. I find it interesting when a "police" needs to (also) think like the "thief" in order to capture and take the "thief" in hand. However, the philosophy behind it is more than just the game of "police to catch thďef".

"Good and Bad, is divided by a find thin line."

Besides Jikembo of Kindaichi Shonen and Sherlock Holmes, I would recommend this title (that got me so addicted when I first read it since I'm a thriller novel fan and technology freak) having a plot better than The Da Vinci Code, IMO, a technology-thriller :

Digital Fortress* by author Dan Brown

Plot summary:

Susan Fletcher, a brilliant mathematician and head of the National Security Agency's (NSA's) cryptography division, finds herself faced with an unbreakable code named "Digital Fortress", that TRANSLTR cannot break. TRANSLTR is the NSA's 3 million processor supercomputer that can crack encrypted data using the brute force method in a short amount of time, with some codes broken in more than 3 hours, others within minutes. The code of "Digital Fortress" is written by Japanese cryptographer Ensei Tankado, a fired employee of the NSA, who is displeased with the agency's intrusion into people's privacy. Tankado posts a copy of Digital Fortress on his website, encrypted with itself. Tankado auctions the passkey to unlock the algorithm on his website, threatening that his accomplice "North Dakota" will release the algorithm for free if he dies. Tankado is found dead in Seville, Spain. Fletcher, along with her fiancé, David Becker, a skilled linguist with eidetic memory, must find a solution to stop the spread of the code.

*Digital Fortress is actually a computer worm designed with the intent to open the entire NSA databank to the world. Tankado knew that the NSA would use TRANSLTR to try and crack the Digital Fortress algorithm so they could decode all messages encrypted with it. In doing so, Digital Fortress would then gain access to the databank and open all its firewalls so that "Any 3rd grader with a modem would get access."

I have a few other titles which I can't remember. I'll go dig'em up.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Twilight!!!!

*waits for hate mail to come in*

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    If TV thriller series, Criminal Minds, would come in printed book form, I would highly recommend it. I find it interesting when a "police" needs to (also) think like the "thief" in order to capture and take the "thief" in hand. However, the philosophy behind it is more than just the game of "police to catch thďef".

"Good and Bad, is divided by a find thin line."

Besides Jikembo of Kindaichi Shonen and Sherlock Holmes, I would recommend this title (that got me so addicted when I first read it since I'm a thriller novel fan and technology freak) having a plot better than The Da Vinci Code, IMO, a technology-thriller :

Digital Fortress* by author Dan Brown

Plot summary:

Susan Fletcher, a brilliant mathematician and head of the National Security Agency's (NSA's) cryptography division, finds herself faced with an unbreakable code named "Digital Fortress", that TRANSLTR cannot break. TRANSLTR is the NSA's 3 million processor supercomputer that can crack encrypted data using the brute force method in a short amount of time, with some codes broken in more than 3 hours, others within minutes. The code of "Digital Fortress" is written by Japanese cryptographer Ensei Tankado, a fired employee of the NSA, who is displeased with the agency's intrusion into people's privacy. Tankado posts a copy of Digital Fortress on his website, encrypted with itself. Tankado auctions the passkey to unlock the algorithm on his website, threatening that his accomplice "North Dakota" will release the algorithm for free if he dies. Tankado is found dead in Seville, Spain. Fletcher, along with her fiancé, David Becker, a skilled linguist with eidetic memory, must find a solution to stop the spread of the code.

*Digital Fortress is actually a computer worm designed with the intent to open the entire NSA databank to the world. Tankado knew that the NSA would use TRANSLTR to try and crack the Digital Fortress algorithm so they could decode all messages encrypted with it. In doing so, Digital Fortress would then gain access to the databank and open all its firewalls so that "Any 3rd grader with a modem would get access."

I have a few other titles which I can't remember. I'll go dig'em up.
    If you haven't read Da Vinci Code, read that. I found Angels and Demons to be better than Da Vinci Code. The other 2 books in his series are Digital Fortress and Deception Point. Neither I found as good as the religion related two. Also they are both dwelve into the quite a bit of science - not sure if an arts graduate is into that.

Angels and Demons awesome plot, if you are not gonna read it, watch it on the big film.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    If you haven't read Da Vinci Code, read that. I found Angels and Demons to be better than Da Vinci Code. The other 2 books in his series are Digital Fortress and Deception Point. Neither I found as good as the religion related two. Also they are both dwelve into the quite a bit of science - not sure if an arts graduate is into that.

Angels and Demons awesome plot, if you are not gonna read it, watch it on the big film.
    I've read Da Vinci Code and watched the movie, I'm religiously against it because Brown was too bias . Misleading "facts" in that production. Angels and Demons is good, now you mention it! But I didn't finish reading A and D, though.

Maybe I just needed a break from the arts.

Wait, Angels and Demons coming onto screen?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-04-09 at 04:29 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Default Heroine of the Desert

SSSS,

You might want to check out this book. It is not any fiction thriller kind of story but a true account of this Islam-converted lady, Donya Al-Nahl, who risked her life and rescued kidnapped children and reunite them with their mothers.

Summary:-

When Donya Al-Nahi helped her friend reunite with her kidnapped child, she embarked upon a calling that was to help hundreds of women in the same situation. These women's children are not taken by a stranger—they are snatched by their own fathers, usually Middle Eastern men who do not wish their children to be exposed to a Western upbringing, and so take the children back to the countries of origin. What started as a favor to a friend has turned into a life's work for Al-Nahi. In this book, she describes her adventures, venturing into the most dangerous parts of the world, such as Iraq, Libya and Dubai, in order to find the children and bring them home to their mothers. She has been arrested and thrown in jail, but this has not dampened her determination to do the right thing and reunite mother and child.

She's like a female version of Ali Baba, IMO. She is also the author of this book, which means she is still alive.

It consists of the thrill like Bourne series but this story could your heart. Of reality, thrill and heartedness, this book is highly recommended!

There, a picture of the bookcover!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Join three of the most excited and tallented crime and thriller writers for a Q&A session about their lastest books. Featuring Chinese-American physician-cum-novelist Tess Gerritsen from California, who was a late-comer to the genre - having originally started in romance - shifting into medical thrillers at 47. Her latest book is 'The Silent Girl'. Also appearing will be Mark Billingham, a Brummy actor/comedian who began moonlighting as a crime writer in 2001 with his first book 'Sleepyhead', which saw the birth of his character DI Tom Thorne and spurned an entire series, the latest addition of which, 'Good As Dead', is due out in August. Plus, Berkshire boy Simon Kernick, who has been penning crime thrillers since he was at university, but didn't get a book deal until late 2001 for 'The Business of Dying'. Now, a decade later, with a string of novels beneath his belt, Kernick is set to release his tenth book 'The Payback'.
    Check it out at: http://www.timeout.com/london/books-...thriller-night

Jack Reacher series by Lee Child