0 0%
  • THE WRESTLER

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Oscar Buzz

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Wall-E is actually my favorite, but out of those actually nominated for Best Picture, my vote goes to Slumdog Millionaire. Awesome movie.
    Actually Wall E should also nominated for Best Picture. The movie's nomination for Best Screenplay already an indicator of that.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Well 94% of the critics said that it is an excellent movie. Even Titanic which is a mainstream movie doesn't has those high percentage of approval from critics, but hey it wins 11 awards. Compare to The Reader I'm sure TDK is indeed better. 531M, means lots of people like it. All sorts of people.
    You're talking about TDK? Well yes it deserves a lot more then The Reader based on the critics and the mass. Like I said earlier, The Reader as Best Picture is puzzling .

Actually Wall E should also nominated for Best Picture. The movie's nomination for Best Screenplay already an indicator of that.
    I also think Wall•E should be nominated for Best Picture. This time, because it's an animation and also because there's a Best Animation category, it is being snubbed or excluded from the Best Picture nomination and that's really ashame because I truly believe that Wall•E is way up there on everyone's list of favourite movies of the year.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    You're talking about TDK? Well yes it deserves a lot more then The Reader based on the critics and the mass. Like I said earlier, The Reader as Best Picture is puzzling .

I also think Wall•E should be nominated for Best Picture. This time, because it's an animation and also because there's a Best Animation category, it is being snubbed or excluded from the Best Picture nomination and that's really ashame because I truly believe that Wall•E is way up there on everyone's list of favourite movies of the year.
    Yeah I'm talking about TDK and The Reader. Shame on the AMPAS LOL. I think this year's best picture should be between Slumdog and Button. Unless if the AMPAS f**k-up again like they always do and choose The Reader instead

Who said about Best Picture, I said worthy of a nominations. Even though performance is good by actor/actress what if the picture look bad. Film making is not just acting. Or else we should just watch Broadway.

Emotion is one part of it, but Best Picture also consider the technical aspect of the filmaking. Look at this nominations for TDK:

Best Supporting Actor
    Best Art Direction
    Best Cinematography
    Best Editing
    Best Makeup
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing
    Best Visual Effects

That show that TDK is very worthy film to be considered for Best Picture and its director for Best Director. Clearly The Reader is not supposed to be there in the Best Picture category.
    Anything worthy of "nomination" should have a shot at being "Best Picture". If not, there's no point giving a nomination.

The above categories are for great features that enhance the movie, but think about what are the most important aspects of the movie to you. supporting actor? makeup?
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 01-25-09 at 04:52 AM.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Anything worthy of "nomination" should have a shot at being "Best Picture". If not, there's no point giving a nomination.

The above categories are for great features that enhance the movie, but think about what are the most important aspects of the movie to you. supporting actor? makeup?
    Yeah-yeahhh - LOL, OK - I give up. TDK is not worth it for Best Picture, there satisfied. Aiiisshh it's so hard to argue with this persistent fluffy tigress

Dark Knight and Wall-E would never be up for the Oscars. They ain't "drama" enough.

The borderline exceptions might be Rocky and Gladiator. Also LOTR may not seem "drama" but its based on literature.

Regarding Critic reviews, I've seen films that have been universally panned by critics but years later they are regarded as cult classics and amongst the Greatest Movies of All-time. And on the flip side, there are films that have been universally praised by critics but years later have been forgotten.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-25-09 at 07:33 PM.

Anyone up for Oscars discussion?

I'd have to agree with Danny Boyle - I thought the Oscars this year were impressive overall. I liked the novelty as far as the presentation went, and Hugh Jackman is quite diviiine...he's handsome, talented, funny...

As far as winners go, I have few complaints. I saw Slumdog at TIFF '08 so I was thrilled with its recent praise. I was also absolutely thrilled thrilled thrilled for Sean Penn and Kate Winslet! Especially Sean Penn, since I thought Mickey Rourke had it. Now I've never seen The Wrestler, but Milk was awesome (along with Penn's performance), and Sean Penn's shoutout for gay rights was a nice touch. Likewise I've always been impressed by Kate, so it's about time she finally won the Oscar.

And finally, HEATH LEDGER. God I would've thrown a tantrum if he didn't win. I mean, besides the fact that he was astounding in TDK, he deserves commemoration for his wonderful career, which unfortunately came to a premature end.

Oh and Penelope Cruz...I've never seen her in a movie but she was easily the most beautiful woman there lol.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway