Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rurouni Kenshin - Samurai Anime Epic

Default Rurouni Kenshin - Samurai Anime Epic

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/92/Kenshinvolume28.jpg/230px-Kenshinvolume28.jpg')

It is really long for an anime, 95 episodes. I just bought the official complete DVD release (only 2 volumes) with english subs and Japanese/English audio. I'm quite excited as I love samurai tv series especially anime.

What are your thoughts on the series? This series was ranked 26th in the top 100 animes ever in an online poll conducted by TV Asahi.

Here is a clip of a fight scene in the series:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oYHcPmV45Ks
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-31-09 at 05:25 PM.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

This is indeed a very good anime/manga. It's a fiction but the character always mingle with famous historical figures. Even one of the main characters - Sagara Sanosuke is a real historical figures.

The best fighters should be the battousai himself who is now wielding a sakabato then Shishio Makoto and Seta Sōjirō. I watch this long ago, in fact one my first anime .

I assure you the Kyoto arc is the best. After the Kyoto Arc the story is not that great anymore. However the best Kenshin story is the Prequel OVA when Kenshin first met his master Hiko Seijūrō and learn Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū sword technique and become the Hitokiri Battōsai or manslayer. The name of the OVA is Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence - a 4 parts OVA. It's the #1 anime series in the animenfo top #200

thanks for the info. I just realized that spcnet gave this review 4.5/5 stars. So I'm pretty excited

I'm a little bit confused about the OVA's and "Samurai X". What should I buy after watching Kenshin??? Are they movies or another full season?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    thanks for the info. I just realized that spcnet gave this review 4.5/5 stars. So I'm pretty excited

I'm a little bit confused about the OVA's and "Samurai X". What should I buy after watching Kenshin??? Are they movies or another full season?
    Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal is indeed the same with the Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence. Samurai X is its Americanized name.

The second OVA is actually the continuation of the anime series after its conclusion. It's not very good compare to the original anime and the OVA prequel. The title is Samurai X: Reflection or the Japanese name: Rurouni Kenshin: Seisōhen
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 02-01-09 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    This is indeed a very good anime/manga. It's a fiction but the character always mingle with famous historical figures. Even one of the main characters - Sagara Sanosuke is a real historical figures.

The best fighters should be the battousai himself who is now wielding a sakabato then Shishio Makoto and Seta Sōjirō. I watch this long ago, in fact one my first anime .

I assure you the Kyoto arc is the best. After the Kyoto Arc the story is not that great anymore. However the best Kenshin story is the Prequel OVA when Kenshin first met his master Hiko Seijūrō and learn Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū sword technique and become the Hitokiri Battōsai or manslayer. The name of the OVA is Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence - a 4 parts OVA. It's the #1 anime series in the animenfo top #200
    If I remember corrently, the anime is adapted from the manga only up till the kyoto arc. The rest of the anime (60 something till ep 95) were just made up by the animators.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    If I remember corrently, the anime is adapted from the manga only up till the kyoto arc. The rest of the anime (60 something till ep 95) were just made up by the animators.
    LOL, doesn't know that, at that time I still not actively reading a manga. It explain why the story is not that great and feel like a filler.

Hey, should the prequel be watched before or after the anime series? When is it intended to be watched as to be enjoyed the most?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/92/Kenshinvolume28.jpg/230px-Kenshinvolume28.jpg')

It is really long for an anime, 95 episodes. I just bought the official complete DVD release (only 2 volumes) with english subs and Japanese/English audio. I'm quite excited as I love samurai tv series especially anime.

What are your thoughts on the series? This series was ranked 26th in the top 100 animes ever in an online poll conducted by TV Asahi.

Here is a clip of a fight scene in the series:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oYHcPmV45Ks
    Judging by your name you should love this anime as it is by far the best sword fighting anime.

Some spoilers were given in the 2nd post of this thread, too bad.

At one point, Kenshin will travel away from Tokyo and journey to another city, you should watch the prequel right at that point.

This is one of my favorite anime of all time. It has the best combat scenes by far, best combat moves, as well as excellent characters.
    Good site to find movies:
    http://www.rivercay.org

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley View Post
    Judging by your name you should love this anime as it is by far the best sword fighting anime.

Some spoilers were given in the 2nd post of this thread, too bad.

At one point, Kenshin will travel away from Tokyo and journey to another city, you should watch the prequel right at that point.

This is one of my favorite anime of all time. It has the best combat scenes by far, best combat moves, as well as excellent characters.
    Yes, I'm a huge fan of samurai literature, TV series and anime. So it was only a matter of time before I stumbled on Kenshin. Thanks for the information, now i'm really looking forward to watching it

Frantasy Land, CA AKA / Alias / Pen Name: Frantasy Honorary Title: 蓝莲花

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Yup, such a disappointment. Everything was great until they decided to ruin it with the fillers. Took me forever to finish it because I kept telling myself it would get better if I kept watching it, but nope!

But it is an excellent anime, highly recommended.

You probably want to also check out the manga version. IMO, the originals are usually just so much better...(Compare Dragon Ball Z with its manga counterpart)

Also, you should also check out Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond manga. The artwork is nothing short of amazing.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Hey, should the prequel be watched before or after the anime series? When is it intended to be watched as to be enjoyed the most?
    No, the prequel should be watched after finishing the original anime series.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.... btw have you watched samurai deeper kyo?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.... btw have you watched samurai deeper kyo?
    I have it in my collection, but never finish it. It's hard for me to watch other Samurai anime after watching Kenshin LOL. When I watch something similar, I want the others to be more badass then the previous LOL, but nothing can beat Kenshin yay .

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    I have it in my collection, but never finish it. It's hard for me to watch other Samurai anime after watching Kenshin LOL. When I watch something similar, I want the others to be more badass then the previous LOL, but nothing can beat Kenshin yay .
    i was wondering if there were any other good samurai anime..

Yeah I keep hearing that Kenshin is the best samurai anime... my anticipation meter for Kenshin is rising...

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

i was wondering if there were any other good samurai anime..

Yeah I keep hearing that Kenshin is the best samurai anime... my anticipation meter for Kenshin is rising...
    Check out - Samurai Champloo, a little bit eccentric show not authentic Samurai show but it's a very good anime. From the guy who create Cowboy Bebop anime.

There is also something about the Shinsengumi called Peacemaker Kurogane, but as I said, I have it in my collection but never watch it LOL.

EDIT

I forgot to tell you about Samurai 7. A remake of the Seven Samurai. But this is one is in the future and with Mecha. Another superb anime.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 02-08-09 at 01:14 AM.

i picked up Samurai 7 thanks. although i'm more into traditional samurai shows.

There's also a nhk tv series called Shinsengumi.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

you can read the original manga here if you like.

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/rurouni_kenshin/

http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/rurouni_kenshin/
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Smile

I read the manga and I liked it very much. I didn't watch the anime and Do you think its worth watching the OAVs? Thank-you.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=2436 Basilisk pretty awesome samurai anime.

Yes samurai deeper kyo is quitew kickass!