Thread: "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" ends..."Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" begins!

Default "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" ends..."Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" begins!

I'm a fan of the late night U.S. talk shows, and one that I've watched often for years is LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN, which has been on the air on NBC since 1993 (with O'Brien taking the reins from David Letterman, who had hosted the show from the early 1980s until 1992). I remember watching the first LATE NIGHT with O'Brien and I was hooked afterward.

Well, tonight was O'Brien's last night as host of LATE NIGHT, having been promoted to take over for Jay Leno as host of THE TONIGHT SHOW starting in May. LATE NIGHT will continue with new host Jimmy Fallon next month.

This is the biggest shuffle in U.S. late night television since 1992. That year, Johnny Carson, host of THE TONIGHT SHOW since the early 1960s, retired from show business, leaving THE TONIGHT SHOW in the hands of Jay Leno. David Letterman, who had been considered for the role of Carson's successor on THE TONIGHT SHOW, instead went to rival network CBS, where he has since hosted the LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN. Conan O'Brien, then a little known comedy writer for shows such as THE SIMPSONS, was tapped to replace Letterman as host of LATE NIGHT on NBC. It was a risky move that paid off well for all involved.

Now, sixteen years later, the landscape of late night television in the U.S. shifts again, as Leno moves to a new 10:30 nightly show, O'Brien takes over THE TONIGHT SHOW, and Jimmy Fallon takes over LATE NIGHT.

Hope it'll be fun. Goodness knows we need more laughs than ever these days.

I caught a little of Jimmy Fallon on Friday. He... sucks. I never found him funny on SNL... Maybe he can improve with time.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    I caught a little of Jimmy Fallon on Friday. He... sucks. I never found him funny on SNL... Maybe he can improve with time.
    He was shakier and more tentative than I would have expected of him. He's a television veteran, after all. When Conan first took the show in 1993, he had never done any significant work in front of the camera. He was a comedy *writer*.

Conan's ratings were horrific at first, but he grew on the audience and eventually, became one of the best in the business. I thought Conan actually got off to a stronger start (in terms of performance quality) than Fallon has so far.

One guy who doesn't get much mention who I like is Jimmy Kimmel.

He seems like a very nice guy, laid back and witty. During the writers' strike, I think he paid some staff members out of his own pocket. I am not sure if that's accurate but I've heard that.

Conan has a fairly bad rep as far as treating people off the air.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post

Conan has a fairly bad rep as far as treating people off the air.
    Oddly, I've heard the opposite, and that all of the various late night hosts helped out their staff during last year's writer strike.

Frantasy Land, CA AKA / Alias / Pen Name: Frantasy Honorary Title: 蓝莲花

Didn't get a chance to see Fallon, but I did like him on SNL.

I love Conan, I always thought he was way better than Leno and all the other guys; this guy is just hilarious. Always believed he deserved a better time slot and he finally got it!

I believe he is taking over June 1st, not May..? I can be wrong though...haha =P

I thought he's going to take over the tonight show