Thread: Death Note

Default Death Note

I find this anime very entertaining and certainly unique in that it belongs to its own genre due to the psychological battles between the main characters.

L Lawliet is the ultimate.

hey guys. what's the news about
    this anime? will there be a second
    season or what? i hope there will have.
    because the ending is soo. heart-pounding.
    No Sales Advertisement on this forum! - Moderator

Nope, the anime and manga are both over. This series is SO epic, it certainly deserves to be in a class of its own.

And I'm all for Yagami Light.
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

I LOVE DEATH NOTE! It is so intriuging and philisophical. It is about the darkness and light in life. Haha, get it! L rocks!
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Death Note was...meh.

It started off great. Loved the concept and gothic theme.
    *spoiler alert*
    I didnt like how that shinigami broke their own rules and in a way started helping Light for treats. For the most part, Light's deductions where convincing but I was like WTF when Light deduced that whole scenario where he gives up the book and gets put on watch and everthing after that! I lost interest then.

All in all, it was ok. Have to give it high marks for originallity that's it.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

The manga/anime series is probably one of my favourites.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Though I think they totally screwed it up by continuing the story after L died.
    It's kind of cliche to have the good conquer evil theme. It would have been much more original if they had for this instance let "evil" conquer "good."
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Death Note was...meh.

It started off great. Loved the concept and gothic theme.
    *spoiler alert*
    I didnt like how that shinigami broke their own rules and in a way started helping Light for treats. For the most part, Light's deductions where convincing but I was like WTF when Light deduced that whole scenario where he gives up the book and gets put on watch and everthing after that! I lost interest then.

All in all, it was ok. Have to give it high marks for originallity that's it.
    I guess they got bored. It is certainly much more entertaining (in a dark way) when humans use the Death Note.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I really enjoyed Death Note. I found it to be intriguing, orginal and kind of creepy.Light was really just an egomaniac, crazy mass murderer.
    L was my favorite character, I was sad when he died. In my opinion Death Note wasn't as good without him. Also Near and Mello weren't as interesting as L.
    But over all I enjoyed watching Death Note.

L Lawliet is a wonderful character.
    Death Note is a unique anime, centering around psychological warfare and relevant dialogue.

Light is the ideal example of human character corrupted by immense power.

Post Light

Light was a little twisted before he found the Death Note, but I guess all humans are a little twisted. Death Note is a totally different type of shounen manga. The battles are psychological. Personally, I also found L to be a very interesting character. I was amazed how before he knew about the Death Note, he seemed to have all the details about Light being Kira except about the Note Book and how could he know that? Sorry, I'm kind of rambling on.

If you knew nothing about the manga Death Note and you found the Death Note, Would you try it out? If yes, who would you try it out on, if no what would you do with it? Also if you tried it out and it worked, what would you do with it?

If I found the Death Note, I wouldn't even try it out. I would just keep it in my closet just incase, I wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands.

Likely, I'd think it's a bad joke. But just in case it is real, I'd destroy it.
    My love and my agony.

I just saw the live action version yesterday. ew...
    -Doctor Who

I've read the manga and saw the anime and i find the series not bad...does live up to what others said about it. Love L character the most..and the first half of the series.

^ is it really that bad? I was thinking of giving the live action ago... hm...

Quote Originally Posted by _Mist_ View Post
    I've read the manga and saw the anime and i find the series not bad...does live up to what others said about it. Love L character the most..and the first half of the series.

^ is it really that bad? I was thinking of giving the live action ago... hm...
    The movie as a stand-alone thing is quite good. but if you are comparing it to the manga and anime, it's not great, especially the second part.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    The movie as a stand-alone thing is quite good. but if you are comparing it to the manga and anime, it's not great, especially the second part.
    Agreed. In the Live Action Movie L is just plain creepy, they cut out Mello, Matt, Near, and many other characters, the totally mess up the ending, the way Ray Penburg's fiancee dies is stupid, Rem is a boy! .

My dad watched it and actually liked the first part (he's never seen the anime), but he thought the 2nd part wasn't as good.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang ( :; 06-27-09 at 10:42 PM.
    -Doctor Who

To be honest, in terms of acting - L, or Ken'ichi Matsuyama, was the only one who did a convincing job. He portrayed the odd characteristics of L just the way I'd imagine him to be in real life according to the manga descriptions. Tatsuya Fujiwara just seemed so whiny (like he does in most of his movies) and did not even look like Light (they should have casted Yamapi for that). The girl who played Misa was annoying, but then again, so was Misa in the manga.

I was never fond of the characters like Near and Mello - in fact, that entire story line
    after L's death
    was what for me, made the manga less amazing than it could have been.

I do agree that the changes they made were kind of pointless, and the death of the fiancee was pretty silly too. I think they meant for Rem to be a woman, but didn't explain it properly.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    To be honest, in terms of acting - L, or Ken'ichi Matsuyama, was the only one who did a convincing job. He portrayed the odd characteristics of L just the way I'd imagine him to be in real life according to the manga descriptions. Tatsuya Fujiwara just seemed so whiny (like he does in most of his movies) and did not even look like Light (they should have casted Yamapi for that). The girl who played Misa was annoying, but then again, so was Misa in the manga.

I was never fond of the characters like Near and Mello - in fact, that entire story line
    after L's death
    was what for me, made the manga less amazing than it could have been.

I do agree that the changes they made were kind of pointless, and the death of the fiancee was pretty silly too. I think they meant for Rem to be a woman, but didn't explain it properly.
    I think that they made Rem a man because they didn't want to go through or didn't have time to explain the motherly love that Rem had for Misa. I didn't like Mello but I thought that Near was pretty cool. No one can replace L in terms of coolness though.

I almost cried when L died.
    -Doctor Who