Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: virus?

The following ads have set off alarms and stopped the site from working for me. (it took nearly half an hour to get to this thread alone and another twn minutes to open the reply window)
    1. ad.yeildmanager.com (any of their ads set off both avast and ZA like crazy)
    2. n.segulnhen.com (same as above)
    Anything not related to yesasia pretty much sets off alarms from both ZA and Avast. YesAsia is possibly the only site that I know of that does not have any malware or anything else on their site in their ads.

Also a sidenote, my machine is not a very uptodate in terms of newness and overall processing power, sometimes normal pictures in threads stall the site is asll, perhaps a note to place all pictures under
    click to show/hide spoilers
    spoiler
    tags would help with this?
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

I've been getting some sort of Trojan over the last couple weeks when I've come to this site. It installs Spyware Protect 2009, and then runs a scan. I was able to remove it with Spybot but I couldn't conclusively prove I got it from here so I didn't mention it.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

It still happen to me again.. like 30 minutes ago.

2 days ago, as I was browsing a thread on spcnet, a worm, or virus, or whatever the heck it was infiltrated my system and a series of brief audio ads started playing automatically. I don't know if I got it from this site or not, but whenever I closed the site, the audio would stop. And when I opened the site again, the ads would start again.

My antivirus software didn't detect anything, and I tried deleting cookies and other temporary internet files, but that didn't seem to do the trick. A friend of mine suggested that I delete my Mozilla ad ons, and so far, nothing's popping up... but I'm not sure if that actually got rid of the virus or if it's still lurking somewhere in my system, waiting to pop up when I least expect it. >__<

I hope I'm not jumping on toes when I give advice in here...

skylee, right now, the best thing for you to do, is to download and run MBAM, after you run this restart as it instructs. After you restart, download and run Exterminate-It, after you run it there may/maynot be a list of virus locations on your computer. when I ran MBAM for the first time on my compy it found 221 problems and almost half of them were in the computers registry keys alone. Exterminate-It found the rest.

After you run both of those programs, download and install Avast Antivirus, one it is setup select BOOTTIME SCAN, then restart your computer, when something is found regardless of where it is located, click the key that says "YES TO ALL" to delete all bad files.

Good luck
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

The problem still persist. It links me to creative-ad banners (something like that). It has malwares there. My antivirus program stops it luckily. But it looks like others might not be so lucky.

Yeung Gor, can you please send me a screenshot of the site it takes you to? That would be very helpful.

Screenshots of other malware would be the most helpful in diagnosing the problem. We can disable all ads on the site, but the ads help pay for part our hosting revenue, so disabling all of them is not the ideal option for us.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Yeung Gor, can you please send me a screenshot of the site it takes you to? That would be very helpful.

Screenshots of other malware would be the most helpful in diagnosing the problem. We can disable all ads on the site, but the ads help pay for part our hosting revenue, so disabling all of them is not the ideal option for us.
    My antivirus program stop the site from actually opening, it just shows me the address that it blocks. I'll screen shot it for ya when it happens again.

This happened to me too!

If I input the forum URL into the location bar, it takes me to some site called moneypools or something like that. But if I google spcnet first, and follow the links, then no problem.

Then my work computer crashed about an hour after I got sent to that moneypools site! Took an hr for the tech guy to fix it up.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I've been getting some sort of Trojan over the last couple weeks when I've come to this site. It installs Spyware Protect 2009, and then runs a scan. I was able to remove it with Spybot but I couldn't conclusively prove I got it from here so I didn't mention it.
    Yup, I got that too on my work computer

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    This happened to me too!

If I input the forum URL into the location bar, it takes me to some site called moneypools or something like that. But if I google spcnet first, and follow the links, then no problem.

Then my work computer crashed about an hour after I got sent to that moneypools site! Took an hr for the tech guy to fix it up.
    That also happened to me since yesterday. It took me to this site: https://www.mymoneypools.com/

I had it happen to me several times last week.

I was okay when i am in the main forumpage, but once I go into a thread, especially in TVB series, I start downloading all these stuff from ad servers and it takes me forever to get out of the page. i have to go to task Manager and exit that way.

Then my Avast antivirus pops up and says threat stopped.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

If you typed http://spcnet.tv it goes straight to https://www.mymoneypools.com
    However, if you typed http://www.spcnet.tv then it's alright.
    Jiang Hu, a Wuxia fansubbing team
    Currently seeking for more help!

Thanks for discovering this abcd99. This is a problem with our DNS server not our ad networks. I've notified our tech team and they will fix it ASAP!
    -SC

SC: This is what I got just now and once earlier today:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/2ekqaad.jpg')

Please check our corner too. We need your attention there.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

it happened again just now! i clicked on 'new posts' and the screen went totally crazy as it loaded the page! tons of stuff flashed on the bottom and it tried to open up a pop up but my computer blocked it. what is happening?

I never get those. *touch wood*

Could it be due to the reasons that our server is in a different country? Does that matter?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Yes, countries do matter. Ads can be targetted to specific users in different countries according the ad networks. Based off the screenshot, I've deactivated yet another ad network. I'm hoping that this problem disappears after that because the only remaining ad networks after this are ones we've never had trouble or issues with before.

Suet Sung, thanks for the screenshot. I will also start testing ads in Google Chrome to see what you're seeing.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Yes, countries do matter. Ads can be targetted to specific users in different countries according the ad networks. Based off the screenshot, I've deactivated yet another ad network. I'm hoping that this problem disappears after that because the only remaining ad networks after this are ones we've never had trouble or issues with before.

Suet Sung, thanks for the screenshot. I will also start testing ads in Google Chrome to see what you're seeing.
    Thanks for your quick responses.

I've tested Google Chrome for a day and it seems to work much better than Firefox ever did. Thanks for the recommendation of Han Solo, I wouldn't have known such a browser existed.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianazhu View Post
    I hope I'm not jumping on toes when I give advice in here...

skylee, right now, the best thing for you to do, is to download and run MBAM, after you run this restart as it instructs. After you restart, download and run Exterminate-It, after you run it there may/maynot be a list of virus locations on your computer. when I ran MBAM for the first time on my compy it found 221 problems and almost half of them were in the computers registry keys alone. Exterminate-It found the rest.

After you run both of those programs, download and install Avast Antivirus, one it is setup select BOOTTIME SCAN, then restart your computer, when something is found regardless of where it is located, click the key that says "YES TO ALL" to delete all bad files.

Good luck
    I haven't been experiencing any more problems this past week, actually. Everything seems to be running normally again, and no ads are popping up.

But thank you for your recommendations. I'll remember to refer to them should problems arise again.

I dunno if it'll help, but I disable javascript and images when I visit now.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner