Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Feeling old?

My son is 15 month old. He can run around OK but still can't speak except for random sounds. One of the sounds he's fond of making is "ba". My in-laws seem to think he's meaningfully calling out "baba" (i.e. papa) but it seems pretty random to me. He's just as likely to make that sound regardless of whether I'm there or not as long as it captures people's attention. He's also started to make a "grrrr" growling noise. Family run daycare around where we live start at around $1000/month for a 8am-5pm kind of schedule. Professional ones start at $1500+.

The SSAT is the Secondary School Admissions Test. There's a number of high schools out there that require you to take this as part of the admission process. This test is usually taken in the 6th grade or so. It's probably the first real standardized test that matters.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    My son is 15 month old. He can run around OK but still can't speak except for random sounds. One of the sounds he's fond of making is "ba". My in-laws seem to think he's meaningfully calling out "baba" (i.e. papa) but it seems pretty random to me. He's just as likely to make that sound regardless of whether I'm there or not as long as it captures people's attention. He's also started to make a "grrrr" growling noise. Family run daycare around where we live start at around $1000/month for a 8am-5pm kind of schedule. Professional ones start at $1500+.

The SSAT is the Secondary School Admissions Test. There's a number of high schools out there that require you to take this as part of the admission process. This test is usually taken in the 6th grade or so. It's probably the first real standardized test that matters.
    What a cute age.. My 3rd nephew is now 10 months old and he is really adorable. Maybe he is calling for you, you never know. There are cases where the children love the dad more than the mom. My brother only paid $700 a month, but I think his was only for half of a day not the whole day. WOW, professional ones cost that much??

Thanks for telling me what the SSAT is. I didn't have that when I went to high school. I know that they have the high exiting exam now instead of the senior project like they did back then. I did have to take tests back then, but don't remember what they are called anymore... I just remember the proficiency test that we had to all take if we wanted to graduate from high school.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor View Post
    I know. Finding the right person can seem impossible at times, esp when it becomes clearer what type of person you are looking for. Unfortunately, the girl who may fit me is not the outgoing type, she enjoy reading, writing, or working on her artwork at home. How can I bump to her if she hardly goes out? I guess I'll leave it up to fate. I won't let the feeling of getting older pressure me into settling, I rather wait for the right one, or just be single all my life.
    Maybe if you just hang around the art stores/galleries or book stores every now and then, then you might bump into someone suitable. : )

I'm only in my early twenties and yet I'm already feeling old. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my best friends and I mostly hang out with people at least 5 years older than we are, and even siblings and their friends which are about 10 years older or more. We are also getting much more mellow and boring as time passes cause we're not the typical college students who just like go to or throw party after party and getting wasted like every weekend or so. : / Gosh, we sound boring.

Banned

I found my memory is worse than before though I am still in twenties!

i feel old when i'm in a class with people 10 years younger than me talking about things i used to when i was their age. and so true the above post. my memory has gotten really worse than before.
    Last edited by mSsHoRtCaKe; 11-29-10 at 03:23 AM.
    i luv c~H~a~R~m~A~i~N~e

Yes, feeling old nowadays. Thinking more about death. No choice, right?

aw I'm sure you still young =) Go out there and have some fun, take a walk

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    aw I'm sure you still young =) Go out there and have some fun, take a walk
    Indeed, walking is my main form of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Enjoy life as much as you can. You only live once in this world so make it worthwhile no matter how old you are and feel. Don't let it discourage you.
    Sim neej aws...

Indeed, walking is my main form of exercise.
    squats, bench, deadlifts

that's all u need
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Many years ago, this is what one doctor told my late grandmother. "can eat? can sleep? can shit?" If yes, that's enough.

Many years ago, this is what one doctor told my late grandmother. "can eat? can sleep? can shit?" If yes, that's enough.
    hmmm have to agree, cannot ask for too much right. Just enjoy life =)

I feel this way at times. It helps to have some hobbies and interests to focus on. Are there things from your youth that have interested you but you never had the time or opportunity to try out? Now might be a good time to revisit.

As others have pointed out physical exercise can help. I've joined a hiking group via meet ups, and hiking for a couple of hours helps to improve my mood. It also feeds my survival gear fetish for water filters, fire starters, knives, flashlights and the like.

Took a hunters education class a few months ago out of curiosity. Wasn't too sure if I wanted to hunt. Shot a rabbit this weekend. Felt kind of bad about it. Guess I'm not cut out to be a hunter. Still it was something I've always wanted to try when I was younger.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, darkcser.

As others have pointed out physical exercise can help. I've joined a hiking group via meet ups, and hiking for a couple of hours helps to improve my mood. It also feeds my survival gear fetish for water filters, fire starters, knives, flashlights and the like.
    How's that hiking group going?
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    How's that hiking group going?
    Been on a couple of 3-4 hour hikes locally. I've signed up for a 5 hour one next Saturday but it's a 3 hour drive each way so I made might skip it.

I find hiking for hours to be kind of boring though, and would much rather just hike for an hour, and then spend the rest of the time practicing woods craft like building a hut from branches, making a snare and other assorted activities that's more suited to a wannabe survivalist or a Boy Scout. Now that I think about it I should join a survivalist meetup instead.

Been on a couple of 3-4 hour hikes locally. I've signed up for a 5 hour one next Saturday but it's a 3 hour drive each way so I made might skip it.

I find hiking for hours to be kind of boring though, and would much rather just hike for an hour, and then spend the rest of the time practicing woods craft like building a hut from branches, making a snare and other assorted activities that's more suited to a wannabe survivalist or a Boy Scout. Now that I think about it I should join a survivalist meetup instead.
    That sounds fun! I would need something like that in case we have a world crisis.
    Sim neej aws...

That sounds fun! I would need something like that in case we have a world crisis.
    I actually found one that has a 3 day event starting tomorrow where they're going to practice shelter construction and fire building. Now while I enjoy those activities as a form of entertainment, I don't know if I'd actually enjoy being in a makeshift shelter overnight much less for multiple days. The reality of bugs and having to use a latrine would probably get to me. Maybe I'll go if they have a one day event.

I actually found one that has a 3 day event starting tomorrow where they're going to practice shelter construction and fire building. Now while I enjoy those activities as a form of entertainment, I don't know if I'd actually enjoy being in a makeshift shelter overnight much less for multiple days. The reality of bugs and having to use a latrine would probably get to me. Maybe I'll go if they have a one day event.
    But that's the fun of it to experience three days though. Just buy bug repellent or are they not letting people bring anything at all? It would be insane but very good experience. I would do it!
    Sim neej aws...

But that's the fun of it to experience three days though. Just buy bug repellent or are they not letting people bring anything at all? It would be insane but very good experience. I would do it!
    Not sure how effective bug spray when you're in a debris shelter overnight. Maybe citronella candles would help but that might be a fire hazard inside a hut made from branches and leaves.

There's also the added attraction of spending 3 days and 2 nights in the wilderness with people I've never met before.